This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 199 - Dumb Poll of the Month

Going from completely disparate systems like ECW to Athena (or whichever) will always result in some data loss - this is unavoidable and happens in any conversion from different databases that aren't matched. I've worked on several and despite at-times incredible planning and prep-work, some loss is just unavoidable, and it largely depends on how much the facility spends (in terms of money and time) on conversion planning. This is why the legacy system is usually kept accessible on a read-only bases for a time. Facilities have finite resources and need to decide how much their users will accept digging data out of the legacy system vs. how much money they need to spend on conversion. Frustrating from the end-user perspective to be sure, but financial and time constraints are real and significantly limiting.

Going from one version of the same system to a new one, however, usually results in zero or near-zero loss (we didn't lose any at all going from the 2015 version to the 2018), as we spent 9 months preparing for the upgrade. Future upgrades will be quarterly so require significantly less work on a per-upgrade basis. This year was a bit of a nightmare for us, as Epic really caught the OP world up and my analyst team was short staffed the entire time (our team leader on maternity leave, one employee left and another was promoted to lead yet another team). Yay.

I know ECW did not allow it, but Epic (and I think Athena?) do allow you to look at multiple windows at a time, and also allow easy toggle if what you want is in some completely separate section. You can also access a note while having labs or other test results open at the same time.

Regarding your question about looking at a chart in a more macro view, there are a few ways this is achieved. Depending on your context (inpatient, outpatient, documenting in a visit, pre-charting, just researching, etc.) there are a variety of 30,000 foot view "Reports" that try to give that sort of more broad context to a patient. Links to notes. Recent labs. Problem lists. Future and recent appointments. All kinds of stuff depending on a bunch of login factors and how you personalize it.

Also, I've never met a front desk staff that liked anything When we first went live back in early 2017, the practice I was supporting in Arlington had spend months complaining about how much they hated ECW. Then we go to Epic and all they could talk about was how much they missed ECW. Can't win for trying, I guess.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
      Going from completely disparate systems like ECW to Athena (or whichever) will always result in some data loss - this is unavoidable and happens in any conversion from different databases that aren't matched. I've worked on several and despite at-times incredible planning and prep-work, some loss is just unavoidable, and it largely depends on how much the facility spends (in terms of money and time) on conversion planning. This is why the legacy system is usually kept accessible on a read-only bases for a time. Facilities have finite resources and need to decide how much their users will accept digging data out of the legacy system vs. how much money they need to spend on conversion. Frustrating from the end-user perspective to be sure, but financial and time constraints are real and significantly limiting.

Going from one version of the same system to a new one, however, usually results in zero or near-zero loss (we didn't lose any at all going from the 2015 version to the 2018), as we spent 9 months preparing for the upgrade. Future upgrades will be quarterly so require significantly less work on a per-upgrade basis. This year was a bit of a nightmare for us, as Epic really caught the OP world up and my analyst team was short staffed the entire time (our team leader on maternity leave, one employee left and another was promoted to lead yet another team). Yay.

I know ECW did not allow it, but Epic (and I think Athena?) do allow you to look at multiple windows at a time, and also allow easy toggle if what you want is in some completely separate section. You can also access a note while having labs or other test results open at the same time.

Regarding your question about looking at a chart in a more macro view, there are a few ways this is achieved. Depending on your context (inpatient, outpatient, documenting in a visit, pre-charting, just researching, etc.) there are a variety of 30,000 foot view "Reports" that try to give that sort of more broad context to a patient. Links to notes. Recent labs. Problem lists. Future and recent appointments. All kinds of stuff depending on a bunch of login factors and how you personalize it.

Also, I've never met a front desk staff that liked anything When we first went live back in early 2017, the practice I was supporting in Arlington had spend months complaining about how much they hated ECW. Then we go to Epic and all they could talk about was how much they missed ECW. Can't win for trying, I guess.
      Thing is that most of the EMRs have a finite life. We were particularly chastised if we did free text as there was a lot left behind and the anticipation was that there would continue to be a trend of moving between systems (which held to be true).

It is interesting to hear of what is supposed to be happening even if I haven't seen anyone in real life convinced. Maybe I am in an EMR desert.

The cat has left a barn and that is why I got out. No stuffing the cat back in there. Will never understand the logic of using something that is less efficient and more work producing to do the same job the worker to do with less steps and less time. We did this to ourselves by believing the stuff they told us. I went to my first EMR conference yrs ago. We were told it was more efficient, would be less work, cause fewer errors, be better for patient outcomes and we needed to sell it to the patients and others on the staff to manage a positive outcome. None of those things were close to true. They are not true now. When the ACA forced the change, the technology wasn't close enough for prime time, never mind rolling it out wholesale. Only difference now is the research has proved the stuff they were trying to sell us is false and after enough of us figured out how much of a lie it was they have finally stopped trying to tell us any of those things are true. NOw they tell us we have to do it for the insurance co to pay us and so we don't get in trouble with ACA.

I know there are other systems where it seems to work- the national health plans in other countries are fairly successful. (you can walk in anywhere and they have immediate full access). Unfortunately we have 'free market' here so who knows how many systems, all who do not talk to each other. I still am unclear how connectivity will ever work unless they pick one system and go with it.

Comment

And true for most front office staff. Ours was all gung ho to have EMR. THe first system was very simple and worked for scheduling pretty well. Since then they have become -un-enamored.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          While I'm one who would ever be confused for a believer, the ritualistic structure and tones of the mass make sense to me, especially the full "bells and smells" masses. The Catholics I know (my mom's side of the family is very devout, as is my wife's), seem to be big into their rituals and the pomp when it comes to events.
          "Smells & bells"....I like that!
          Our former parish (St. Mark's in Merriam Park neighborhood of St. Paul for locals) was much more traditional than our current parish....though I tend to sleep in more now on Sundays instead of going to Mass.

The boss and I were in Europe after Thanksgiving and spent a night at Mt-Saint-Michel in France. Very cool setting. Anyway, since our night there was a Saturday we went to Mass at the Abbey church on the island - it's the very top of the island for those who have seen pictures. Extremely traditional - at least I assume it was traditional since my French is pretty much limited to merde) - including nuns and monks kneeling on the alter during the Mass.

What was most interesting is about five minutes before Mass one of the Brothers walked down the aisle and grabbed a rope tied to one of the massive pillars. The rope was hanging from an opening in the ceiling and the Brother and yanked for five minutes to ring the church bells. Was really interesting to watch and I then knew who to blame for waking me up at 6AM.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
          And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
          Twenty red lights in his honor
          Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Will never understand the logic of using something that is less efficient and more work producing to do the same job the worker to do with less steps and less time.
            You haven't had much experience with software consultants, have you?

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            And true for most front office staff. Ours was all gung ho to have EMR. THe first system was very simple and worked for scheduling pretty well. Since then they have become -un-enamored.
            Not to get all ageist, but I'm about to get all ageist. I have found - purely through deep research that consists of guessing the age of the front desk staff I talk to - that these folks tend to skew a little older and generally be resistant to any kind of workplace change.

That's my extremely scientific study.

Comment

Good Afternoon, Lodge!
              Originally posted by Skeeterman
              Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
              "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Not to get all ageist, but I'm about to get all ageist. I have found - purely through deep research that consists of guessing the age of the front desk staff I talk to - that these folks tend to skew a little older and generally be resistant to any kind of workplace change.
                It isn't necessarily about age: people in general don't like when their software doesn't work the same way that it did the day before. I'm one of them, and I was a software consultant when I was younger. So I understand why applications change, but I still wish that developers were more hesitant to introduce user impact to existing software than they are.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

All this talk here about Epic and I just checked my email and received something today from Epic Hospital System. I have a new statement and a paper copy is being mailed to me. I have no idea what it’s for. Wondering if my doctor’s office moved to this new system? I had my annual physical on the 20th. The bill is for less than $25, wondering if it’s for a test? I could’ve clicked on a link in the email to pay it on line, but I don’t know what it is. Going to wait for the paper statement they told me I’m getting.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    It isn't necessarily about age: people in general don't like when their software doesn't work the same way that it did the day before. I'm one of them, and I was a software consultant when I was younger. So I understand why applications change, but I still wish that developers were more hesitant to introduce user impact to existing software than they are.
                    True, but it definitely seems to be more pronounced in a more seasoned population. But yes. People just want their hammer to work. Stop messing with their hammer.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    All this talk here about Epic and I just checked my email and received something today from Epic Hospital System. I have a new statement and a paper copy is being mailed to me. I have no idea what it’s for. Wondering if my doctor’s office moved to this new system? I had my annual physical on the 20th. The bill is for less than $25, wondering if it’s for a test? I could’ve clicked on a link in the email to pay it on line, but I don’t know what it is. Going to wait for the paper statement they told me I’m getting.
                    It's likely from the patient portal service called MyChart. You're in Mass, which means it about 80% certain that your doctor is using Epic. You may be able to pay via MyChart as well. Take a look at the after visit paperwork from your last visit - page 1* should tell you how to access it.

* I rebuilt our outpatient AVS for this upgrade - I spent a LOT Of time looking at it...

Comment

You haven't had much experience with software consultants, have you?

That's my extremely scientific study.
                      Nope. The older ones are actually more tech savy and were into it until the functionality of the new system sucked.

True, but it definitely seems to be more pronounced in a more seasoned population. But yes. People just want their hammer to work. Stop messing with their hammer.

It's likely from the patient portal service called MyChart. You're in Mass, which means it about 80% certain that your doctor is using Epic. You may be able to pay via MyChart as well. Take a look at the after visit paperwork from your last visit - page 1* should tell you how to access it.

* I rebuilt our outpatient AVS for this upgrade - I spent a LOT Of time looking at it...
                      This.

If you have a physical as long as it was for prevention/maintenance it should be the donut if they billed you right.

Comment

It seems that Les was too occupied with software to remember what day Wednesday was.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Howdy. Chilly, wet and windy day around Houston. Flying home for a quick nap in my own bed, up at dark O'clock in the morning to head to Las Vegas. Should be a fun weekend with the old man.

Comment

Mornin'.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X