X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 199 - Dumb Poll of the Month

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    If I'm on an island, my awake time is usually devoted 90% to drinking some kind of rum concoction, while sitting on a beach, or at a beach bar. Occasionally, that changes to drinking a rum concoction on an actual boat, or next to a pool, but drinking a rum concoction is an essential component of any activity I do while on a tropical island.
    If I drank a rum concoction I would be praying to the porcelain god instead of enjoying the beach.... bummer to the extreme!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Second question - what do I need to eat, or not eat, to help manage cholesterol? Salt? Carbs? Isn’t it something that drives cholesterol numbers?
      I was able to lower my cholesterol with some small dietary changes. For lunch, eating Subway instead of McDonalds. Reducing intake of things that are high in bad cholesterol (liver, shrimp) while eating more of things that have good cholesterol, like apples. For things you love and don't want to give up completely, reduce size of portions or how often you eat it. Increase exercise or activity. Mostly just common sense things that you'll feel better after doing anyway.

Hey Lodge. If it wasn't for hockey, then I'd be in favor of building a wall to keep out winter. I don't hate it, but about this time of year it gets tiresome to think about things like, "Will I have to get up early tomorrow to shovel before going to work?" I guess I'm supposed to post this in a different thread ...
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

HHT!! 4pm matinee today. After Saturday's mess, I was thinking about not going, but figured...I paid for dinner in the Club Room, didn't want to cook, so I thought I'd go. Oh, Saturday night I forgot my bracelets I wear every game. I wore them tonight and also chose not to wear any BU gear. Second time this season that happened. Both times, the team responded nicely. Let's hope I don't have to do that again.

ARM - I make my lunch every day. I make sure to bring a fruit or two, plus cut up some veggies. Every few weeks I buy that bagged salad, cut up some deli turkey (which I know has a higher sodium content). While I certainly could eat better, I don't eat poorly. I've stopped soda. What I need to do is cut out the sweets. Add in some other types of snacks like walnuts. I saw legumes are good, will need to start making lentil soup more. Obviously more veggies. Of which I am not a fan, but I can certainly make an effort. Not sure what I'm going to do when all my Girl Scout cookies come....

Comment

HHT!! 4pm matinee today. After Saturday's mess, I was thinking about not going, but figured...I paid for dinner in the Club Room, didn't want to cook, so I thought I'd go. Oh, Saturday night I forgot my bracelets I wear every game. I wore them tonight and also chose not to wear any BU gear. Second time this season that happened. Both times, the team responded nicely. Let's hope I don't have to do that again.

ARM - I make my lunch every day. I make sure to bring a fruit or two, plus cut up some veggies. Every few weeks I buy that bagged salad, cut up some deli turkey (which I know has a higher sodium content). While I certainly could eat better, I don't eat poorly. I've stopped soda. What I need to do is cut out the sweets. Add in some other types of snacks like walnuts. I saw legumes are good, will need to start making lentil soup more. Obviously more veggies. Of which I am not a fan, but I can certainly make an effort. Not sure what I'm going to do when all my Girl Scout cookies come....
          I was trying to be good but I can't help myself- some tidbits of what I used to give as a canned speech...
          -Cholesterol peaks at 6-8 PM so it is better if you eat high cholesterol foods earlier in the day and less at night
          -high fiber foods help delay or slow the cholesterol getting into the system (same for sugars)
          - better to use seed oils- olive, canola, flax seed oil than corn oil or butter.
          -exercise can decrease chol alot. There is new evidence that short bursts of high intensity (look up FITT on NPR podcasts) are more effective than long slow exercise
          - fruits and veggies are both good as long as there is a lot of fiber in them. Raspberries have 8 G in one cup
          - 2Tbs of Oat bran added into your cereal/yoghurt or other foods will lower cholesterol (I forget the % but it was = to the less effective statins)
          -there is mounting evidence that evaluating inflammation is very important when you are looking at risk and cholesterol (C-RP). Eating foods that decrease inflammation- dk cherries, almonds, dark chocolate to name a few- can help and things that are highly processed, red meat, may increase inflammation.
          -artificial sweeteners are nasty. They increase cardiac risk and retinopathy in diabetics worse who drink diet rather than consuming regular soda. They also are appetite enhancers so if you have them they make you hungrier.
          - If you severely restrict calories then the hormones that cause you feel full and those that make you crave are both messed up and make you want high fat/triglycerides more. The hormones stay messed up > 1 yr after you stop restricting your calories.
          -The effects of eating large quantities of something that is high in cholesterol can be mitigated if it is spread through out the day and eaten with high fiber foods to accompany
          -alcohol increased all the numbers but really increases triglycerides (which they now think are more important than they used to and esp for females). A cocktail is OK but multiple cocktailes do nasty things. I had a guy who had TRG >600 (nl under 150 but prefer less) when he was drinking but <100 when he wasn't drinking.

edit- a few more
          Fish oil may help- they go back and for with this. None of the OTC ones are better than the other. All the marketing of Krill etc are full of sh1t
          taking a fiber supplement daily (citrocel, fiber one, benifiber, etc) will also decrease cholesterol.
          Last edited by leswp1; 01-21-2019, 07:56 PM.

Comment

So, because of my torn tendon, my podiatrist told me to lay off walking. I ironed yesterday for about an hour and I'm still feeling it. I may have to do something like a stationary bike for exercise. Anyone have any thoughts for exercise?

I like oat bran, I plan to have it for breakfast tomorrow. I'm a big fan of dark chocolate! When you say dk cherries, do you mean like bing cherries? Start using regular sugar in my coffee instead of Splenda? Interesting about timing that cholesterol peaks between 6-8pm.

Comment

So, because of my torn tendon, my podiatrist told me to lay off walking. I ironed yesterday for about an hour and I'm still feeling it. I may have to do something like a stationary bike for exercise. Anyone have any thoughts for exercise?

I like oat bran, I plan to have it for breakfast tomorrow. I'm a big fan of dark chocolate! When you say dk cherries, do you mean like bing cherries? Start using regular sugar in my coffee instead of Splenda? Interesting about timing that cholesterol peaks between 6-8pm.
              Swim for exercise?
              Tart cherries
              All I can say about splenda, stevia, other artificial sweeteners is I won't use them. There are all sorts of weird neuro things that can happen (known forever) and no matter which one it messes up your metabolism. If I am going to sweeten something like coffee I use real sugar sparingly.

Comment

Unless it's corn on the cob, I don't bother with any salt. I get enough naturally in normal foods. A couple of the younger folks at the Corner Store were wondering about the beef sticks they sell (they are delicious) and I said I don't touch them, because of all the preservatives/sodium. They looked at the label and were aghast. One guy said, "Holy crap, never eating these again!"

Now, I'm not the healthiest eater, but I try. I at least cut out the obvious.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

s'upp y'all

hey bbdl, your beard was white!!!! to call that normal removes you from any discussion hanging ice IS an issue
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                    ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                    East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                    Northeast Regional:
                    West Regional: 2015, 2021
                    Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                    Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        s'upp y'all

hey bbdl, your beard was white!!!! to call that normal removes you from any discussion hanging ice IS an issue
                        This is MN, we're not candyasses.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Good Morning Lodge!

I have no problem being a candya55 when it comes to cold. I also do not have a beard.... yet.

Comment

Not sure what I'm going to do when all my Girl Scout cookies come....
                            I guess the same type of approach that you're doing with everything else. It's different if a doctor says you can't have any of some type of food or beverage for some medical condition, but if you know that something isn't good for you but you really enjoy consuming it, at least reducing your intake is a positive step. If you eat fewer GS cookies or over a longer period of time, that helps. It seems that when people select diets where they can't eat things that they love at all, then they have a harder time sticking to the diet and abandon it altogether.

I'm sure that you eat better than I do, so consider the source.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I don't think Girl Scout cookies count because... Girl Scout cookies!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                              Northeast Regional:
                              West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                This is MN, we're not candyasses.
                                You had a hat on so I figured it was starting to get chilly.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                                And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                                Twenty red lights in his honor
                                Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X