Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine 2018, 2019 Footba, I mean hockey thread.

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I get that he can be negative sometimes, but even I have to recognize that was a sobering game on Saturday. Maine got utterly obliterated in every facet of the game. I tend to mostly shy away from discussions about the past and Red's ability to carry us through to the future, since I wasnt around to experience the Walsh or even Whitehead eras, but you cant deny what we saw on the ice last night, and that Carvel took a team from 5-29-2 to 26-7-0 in just two seasons. As for the rest of the season, if Maine can avoid Matthews Arena, they have a shot at making the Garden against any other opponent in my opinion.
    I doubt they go into PC and win a game, NU doubt that also. Lowell I can see.

UMass may have more talent but the coach puts them into a position to use it . I've heard too much stuff
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Congratulations to Kimball Union!! With 56 seconds left in the New England Elite 8 Championship they score the winning goal against #1 seed Salisbury. Kimball Union wins the Elite 8 championship for the third consecutive year. The game was held yesterday on neutral ice at St. Anselms College.

Comment

http://sportschowdah.bangordailynews...ll-irrelevant/

Comment

"That amount of negativity on this forum sucks." - Rick Pitino

I understand a 6-0 thrashing isn't what anyone wants to see, but this UMass team is one of the top teams in the country. They were playing on home ice on senior night and they had revenge on their mind from losing to Maine the last time they played. This game was a scheduled loss for Maine, in my opinion.

All we can do is wait to see how they bounce back at home against an opponent they can beat. That will tell us a lot heading into the playoffs.

FWIW, it's also possible that Saturday's game means very little. If BC loses at Providence Thursday and UNH loses at Northeastern Friday (both very possible), Maine will have nothing to lose or gain. They will be the sixth seed regardless. And if UML beats Vermont Friday (very likely), BU won't have anything to play for either. If all that happens, Maine will be making another trip to Providence.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBlue51 View Post

I understand a 6-0 thrashing isn't what anyone wants to see, but this UMass team is one of the top teams in the country. They were playing on home ice on senior night and they had revenge on their mind from losing to Maine the last time they played. This game was a scheduled loss for Maine, in my opinion.

All we can do is wait to see how they bounce back at home against an opponent they can beat. That will tell us a lot heading into the playoffs.

FWIW, it's also possible that Saturday's game means very little. If BC loses at Providence Thursday and UNH loses at Northeastern Friday (both very possible), Maine will have nothing to lose or gain. They will be the sixth seed regardless. And if UML beats Vermont Friday (very likely), BU won't have anything to play for either. If all that happens, Maine will be making another trip to Providence.
            I have thought about the results and how they effect Maine's playoff opponent, but I havent fully thought them through to its conclusion. What would have to happen for Maine to draw Lowell, who I think we would all agree is Maine's best hope of going to Boston?

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Congratulations to Kimball Union!! With 56 seconds left in the New England Elite 8 Championship they score the winning goal against #1 seed Salisbury. Kimball Union wins the Elite 8 championship for the third consecutive year. The game was held yesterday on neutral ice at St. Anselms College.
              Good for Tim, his high school team wins another championship.

Comment

The UNH game is meaningless to Maine. The Black Bears own the tiebreaker. UNH can finish no higher than 7.

Down in the D-III ranks Kevin Swallow (Maine '10) leads UNE up against Trinity, coached by another Maine guy, Matt Greason of Bridgton, in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The game is 7pm on Saturday in Hartford.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Good for Tim, his high school team wins another championship.
                  He has players going to Cornell, Providence, Ohio State and drafted by QMJHL. He also has an outstanding goal tender from Finland with another year left. I am pleased for him.

Comment

He has players going to Cornell, Providence, Ohio State and drafted by QMJHL. He also has an outstanding goal tender from Finland with another year left. I am pleased for him.
                    The team his team beat has a player coming to Maine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      The team his team beat has a player coming to Maine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                      I believe that's Capone?

Comment

I believe that's Capone?
                        Yup

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                          Actually we should expand this now. To a political realm. I bet Fishman has no ideology to go forth. But I bet we suck. Not on account we don't have talent. Lack of coaching. Big time. Terrible that he can't see this!
                          Huh..? Please ask your wife to hide your iPhone once she notices you getting into the liquor at night. I do appreciate that you love Maine hockey, but please.

My "ideology" would be to recruit enough talent to contend for a RS title and a PW berth once every 3 years or so. That would be a huge improvement over what Red has accomplished, hands-down.

You think that this team is loaded, and just in need of better coaching to excel..? Well, have yet another triple whiskey on me.

Maine is a .500 team with .500 talent. Scotty Bowman wouldn't do much more with this crew than Red has. The evidence is right in front of your eyes every weekend. Be honest. Maine can't consistently skate with the better teams, and we've all seen it, all year long, and for all the previous Red years.

God knows I want Maine to be relevant again. But don't confuse objectivity with negativity. If Red brings in some talent next year, I'll acknowledge that, and get excited. But until he does, you're howling at the moon.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-04-2019, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Me, too. He certainly tried his best at Maine, but he's found his niche at Kimball.

Comment

Used to be Maine was one of the best teams in the country not the team that says “aw shucks its one of the best teams in the country how could we expect to compete!”

When that team thats kicking our heads in is an historic doormat I dont know how any one can call fans “negative.” Its the freaking scoreboard not us

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Bottom line Maine Hockey as a Program has fallen down and under Gendron can't and won't get back up.....pretty evident in the record of Gendron the last 6 years.....what will year 7 bring..? More of the same..? Is it a combo of recruiting/coaching..? I say yes on the later. Negative...maybe, but then facts brings out the negative in a way no one likes...I don't, I wish this could have been a feel good story with Gendron taking over and year by year improving...but it has not.

Comment

Working...
                                X