Best Venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Venues

As someone who relocated to the south a few years back and discovered the world of club hockey (NC State) I have been completely impressed with the atmosphere at games. Many of which are much better than DIII games and maybe even better than a few DI venues. I have also been impressed with the level of hockey from some of the better programs. So I would love to see the club thread going a bit more. So first topic, what are some of the best venues in club hockey? Kentucky and their midnight games, NC State and UNC at PNC arena which draws around 6k...throw some out there and here what is great about the venue!

Re: Best Venues

LaHaye Ice Rink @ Liberty U.
    Rust Ice Arena @ U of Delaware

Both are on campus and are D1 ready.
    (Hint, Hint)
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Atmosphere in Delaware was just okay when we played there but...THEY MIGHT HAVE THE BEST RADIO GUY IN HOCKEY! He sings the national anthem as well. He is just flat good!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      LaHaye Ice Rink @ Liberty U.
      Rust Ice Arena @ U of Delaware

Both are on campus and are D1 ready.
      (Hint, Hint)

Comment

I think RPI Houston Field house (ACHA D2) is about the best total place to play in the northeast. Awesome ice, same RPItv coverage as the NCAA D1 games, pep band for some, replays on hi-res jumbo scoreboard, and some pretty good college hockey

Comment

As far as venues and overall game experience, Liberty is top notch. That arena usually has 2,000-3,000 fans (with suites) and the broadcast/production is very professional.
          Other ACHA venues- Ohio and Illinois have their on campus rinks, history and strong following.

Just about all ACHA D1 stream games live, so you can get a feel for teams, atmosphere and venues across the country. Some of even have good broadcasters and a solid production (HD, multiple camera angles, replays, in-game interviews). On the east coast, Stony Brook and William Patterson come to mind.

In addition to the venue chatter, it's interesting to see the relationships building between ACHA club teams and NHL teams across the country.
          For example:
          1. UNLV playing home games at City National Arena (Vegas Golden Knights).
          2. USC and UCLA playing games at Staples Center (LA Kings).
          3. Colorado & Colorado St playing games at Pepsi Center (Colorado Avalanche)

Comment

Originally posted by H138 View Post
            I think RPI Houston Field house (ACHA D2) is about the best total place to play in the northeast. Awesome ice, same RPItv coverage as the NCAA D1 games, pep band for some, replays on hi-res jumbo scoreboard, and some pretty good college hockey
            I grew up in the Hudson Valley, so Houston Field House is pretty much a great venue for any hockey ever! Cool story about the player who started the ACHA program, Jeremy Coupal. He worked his was up to the varsity back up and is now a coach for the Oilers!

Comment

Originally posted by batmanACHA View Post
              As far as venues and overall game experience, Liberty is top notch. That arena usually has 2,000-3,000 fans (with suites) and the broadcast/production is very professional.
              Other ACHA venues- Ohio and Illinois have their on campus rinks, history and strong following.

Just about all ACHA D1 stream games live, so you can get a feel for teams, atmosphere and venues across the country. Some of even have good broadcasters and a solid production (HD, multiple camera angles, replays, in-game interviews). On the east coast, Stony Brook and William Patterson come to mind.

In addition to the venue chatter, it's interesting to see the relationships building between ACHA club teams and NHL teams across the country.
              For example:
              1. UNLV playing home games at City National Arena (Vegas Golden Knights).
              2. USC and UCLA playing games at Staples Center (LA Kings).
              3. Colorado & Colorado St playing games at Pepsi Center (Colorado Avalanche)
              As at transplant to Club Hockey country, you are spot on with the NHL Partnerships. I think in non-traditional hockey areas, the NHL team see it as a way to grow their game. NC State and the Hurricanes have a good partnership, with State playing four games at PNC arena this year. The Caps have been big supporters the ACCHL and have had Georgetown and George Washington play.

Comment

Went to a game at Ohio University against the University of Illinois a couple years ago and it was one of the best atmospheres I've seen in college hockey period. Standing room only with a vocal student section.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Although they are still building up a competitive club program, UNLV is trending up with a good home atmosphere. Add them to the growing list of ACHA programs putting the pieces in place and pushing for NCAA D1 status.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                    Went to a game at Ohio University against the University of Illinois a couple years ago and it was one of the best atmospheres I've seen in college hockey period. Standing room only with a vocal student section.
                    I've seen this rink and I don't think I agree

Comment

I’d be very curious to see average attendance numbers for ACHA teams.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Just over 1900 a game for NC State. There is a caveat with two home game vs. UNC at PNC arena that average north of 4k that boast the average and one that got almost 6k. It does not count UNC's home game at PNC, which would raise the average close to 2k would be close to 90 percent State fans.

Comment

Originally posted by WorkerBee View Post
                          I've seen this rink and I don't think I agree
                          Not sure what you mean by don't agree. It's what I saw. Granted, I was there on sibs weekend, so maybe it was just that there were extra people on campus. I'm sure every game isn't totally packed. That said, I don't think it was a one off either. They definitely get good crowds from time to time. See this video: Ohio Bobcats Hockey Promo.
                          Last edited by Buckeye22; 09-26-2019, 11:45 PM.
                          Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                          University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by batmanACHA View Post
                            Although they are still building up a competitive club program, UNLV is trending up with a good home atmosphere. Add them to the growing list of ACHA programs putting the pieces in place and pushing for NCAA D1 status.
                            Standing room only every game. They charged 50 dollars for reserved seats last year.

Comment

Looks like another solid crowd at PNC Arena for NC State and UNC game on Monday, November 25. Couple thousand in attendance on a Monday night is a great draw at any college level. I watched on the stream and it certainly sounded like the crowd was lively throughout. Good for those teams and for hockey in the region!

Comment

Working...
                              X