World Juniors 2019 Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Juniors 2019 Vancouver

I just noticed... Denmark has yet to score in the tournament this year. Time's certainly slipping away before the relegation games come up, but still have a chance to avoid it vs. the Czechs. Slovakia and Kazakhstan play for the right to move on to the medal rounds tonight, but for the USA's interests in the medal rounds (we're already going there), Russia/Switzerland is really the game to watch tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by jnacc View Post
      Honest question to Michigan fans....is Q. Hughes as bad defesnsivley for you guys as he has been for the U.S. in general? I mean his skating is superb and you can see his stick skills are at a high pro level but man does he make so many stupid stupid and even more stupid plays out there.
      Complete agreement. He must have some very sweet talking skills in the locker room because I haven’t seen somebody so benchworthy on the team. He must have a quality somewhere not seen by the casual onlooker as I can’t imagine being a teammate or his D-pair taking him seriously as a captain as he plays like he’s the only one on the team that’s any good. Even after he gave up to an odd man rush in the zone resulting in a goal he kept playing as a one-man team. May work in Big 10/college but he needs to learn today.

Can’t overstate how impressed I was with Poehling. Even before he had any goals and Mikey Anderson was the lone goal scorer I was already thinking he earned the #1 star of the night for team USA—then he added on a hat trick.
      I wanna go fast!

Comment

Really weird play I've never seen before. Two penalty shots on the same play. Swiss player had a shorthanded breakaway, got tripped, got up and regained control of the puck, and got tripped again.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
          Really weird play I've never seen before. Two penalty shots on the same play. Swiss player had a shorthanded breakaway, got tripped, got up and regained control of the puck, and got tripped again.
          While watching the play, I immediatelay said, "That should be two penalties."

But I never expected them to call two penalty shots.

Now a major against Russia. If the Swiss don’t win with all these breaks, they certainly don’t deserve to.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
            Certainly a rare sequence of events. Very possible we don't see that again for not just years, but decades.

Had SUI scored on the first penalty shot, the second would have resulted in a 2 minute penalty instead (same with NHL rules).

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              Certainly a rare sequence of events. Very possible we don't see that again for not just years, but decades.

Had SUI scored on the first penalty shot, the second would have resulted in a 2 minute penalty instead (same with NHL rules).
              Thanks, wondered about that.

Of course one reason that it's not likely to happen very often is that typically the puck carrier would feel some pressure on his legs and go down like an Italian soccer player or like his legs were taken out by a machete. Instead, he got back to his feet and regained possession of the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post

Taking a look at the college rule book, I actually don't see anything that calls this out specifically. Therefore, it's possible, in NCAA play, that two penalty shots are taken regardless of if the first was scored. I wonder if someone will keep this in the briefcase and clarify it for the 2020 rule change session.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  Poehling may have been the only guy in the building who believed they could win after his first - he had a wild look in his eyes - but he took over and willed that comeback. What a performance...
                  He'd be first to admit he had a little help from his friends. But agreed he was on fire -->

HIGHLIGHTS

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Taking a look at the college rule book, I actually don't see anything that calls this out specifically. Therefore, it's possible, in NCAA play, that two penalty shots are taken regardless of if the first was scored. I wonder if someone will keep this in the briefcase and clarify it for the 2020 rule change session.
                    Screw the penalty shots - take the minors and have a 5x3.

----

And from our friends at TSN:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/5-4~1575822
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Screw the penalty shots - take the minors and have a 5x3.
                      The same guy committed the two penalties. Wouldn’t it be a 5x4 for two consecutive minors?
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        The same guy committed the two penalties. Wouldn’t it be a 5x4 for two consecutive minors?
                        It'd be 4 minutes of 5 on 4. IF the official had the balls to call it as two separate infractions.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                          It'd be 4 minutes of 5 on 4. IF the official had the balls to call it as two separate infractions.
                          Happened to my daughter once in a State Tournament girls game. She was defending a one on one and was called for interference as she "played the body" for a little too long. She then turned and got her stick in the opponent's skates, and the ref added another two for tripping. Fortunately her team was able to kill off the four minutes of 5 on 4.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

One thing I've noticed watching these games. Hardly anyone passes the puck on a 2 on 1 anymore. I just saw this twice in the last ten minutes (once in the Canada/Russia game and again in the USA/Finland game). They all try that "drag" move and usually either lose control or by the time they regain control it's too late. Just an observation...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              One thing I've noticed watching these games. Hardly anyone passes the puck on a 2 on 1 anymore. I just saw this twice in the last ten minutes (once in the Canada/Russia game and again in the USA/Finland game). They all try that "drag" move and usually either lose control or by the time they regain control it's too late. Just an observation...
                              I’ve noticed that, too. I wonder if it has to with the the fact these teams are assembled without much time together.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

The defending D is supposed to take the pass away so his goalie can focus exclusively on the shooter.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X