Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going to attempt to publish a PairWise ranking for D III?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone going to attempt to publish a PairWise ranking for D III?

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Norwich is quietly 4-0-2 in the second semester with 3 wins over top-15 ranked teams and a tie with another one.
    Still ALOT of work TO DO
    Steve Day(NU71)
    Go Cadets

Comment

Norwich is quietly 4-0-2 in the second semester with 3 wins over top-15 ranked teams and a tie with another one.

The Cadets’ SOS this year is VERY strong. Part of the reason why their so high in the pairwise.
      So with the games v the Top 15 teams behind us, is this our ceiling for PWR? Because I'm assuming that as the back-end of our schedule is against weaker opponents that our SOS will begin to take a hit. So, on the one hand you're (theoretically) winning more games, on the other your SOS is getting weaker at the same time. So the metrics kinda balance each other out. Does that make sense?
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
        So with the games v the Top 15 teams behind us, is this our ceiling for PWR? Because I'm assuming that as the back-end of our schedule is against weaker opponents that our SOS will begin to take a hit. So, on the one hand you're (theoretically) winning more games, on the other your SOS is getting weaker at the same time. So the metrics kinda balance each other out. Does that make sense?
        Yes this is our ceiling as far as SOS. Now we need to keep winning the games on paper we should and then also hope some of the other teams around us, especially non-conference teams keep losing a few.
        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
        GO LAKERS!!!
        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Gang

Look closely. The UCHC, CCC & MASCAC are outside the top 12. If anyone but Williams wins the NESCAC, Norwich is out as the At Large team on the bubble.

Now it's back to cya land
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Gang

Look closely. The UCHC, CCC & MASCAC are outside the top 12. If anyone but Williams wins the NESCAC, Norwich is out as the At Large team on the bubble.

Now it's back to cya land
            I think the stunner so far is how close St. Norbert might be to being left out. If anyone but Williams wins the NESCAC and anyone but St. Norbert wins the NCHA, I believe the Knights might be on the outside looking in as well.

As a sidebar, I wonder who the Pairwise would have selected for the tournament last year.

Finally, does the selection committee have any leeway like the Div I women do? (I believe they ignore St. Anselm even though they technically meet the qualifications and were ranked #5 in last year's rankings).
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95
            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
              I think the stunner so far is how close St. Norbert might be to being left out. If anyone but Williams wins the NESCAC and anyone but St. Norbert wins the NCHA, I believe the Knights might be on the outside looking in as well.

As a sidebar, I wonder who the Pairwise would have selected for the tournament last year.

Finally, does the selection committee have any leeway like the Div I women do? (I believe they ignore St. Anselm even though they technically meet the qualifications and were ranked #5 in last year's rankings).
              That is because a D2 must play a mininum of 20 D1 games to be eligible for the tourney. St As did not meet this.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                That is because a D2 must play a mininum of 20 D1 games to be eligible for the tourney. St As did not meet this.
                After they were kicked out of their league, they played 5 games with 4 other teams in the same boat. They qualified, but were ignored come tournament time. (Got that from this Bracketology article.) St. Anselm is #1 in this year's Pairwise rankings thus far.
                Last edited by spwood; 01-29-2019, 09:33 AM.
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                  That's a fact....too many ties...and the overall weak results from the majority of the NCHA teams this season has hurt.
                  Cheering for the Ephs!!
                  SNC Men:
                  Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                  NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                  SNC Women:
                  O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

Yes this is our ceiling as far as SOS. Now we need to keep winning the games on paper we should and then also hope some of the other teams around us, especially non-conference teams keep losing a few.
                    SOS is not a criteria. Last year, beating JWU would hurt your RPI. This year, it doesn't.

A loss or a tie does hurt.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

SOS is not a criteria. Last year, beating JWU would hurt your RPI. This year, it doesn't.

SOS is included in RPI: 25-21-54 (%), Win%-OppWin%-OppOppWin% is how RPI is calculated. Beating bad teams does drop your RPI, however in D1 they have a caveat that any win that drops RPI is tossed out. I imagine D3 is doing the same?

r
                      Last edited by cetihcra; 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                        SOS is included in RPI: 25-21-54 (%), Win%-OppWin%-OppOppWin% is how RPI is calculated. Beating bad teams does drop your RPI, however in D1 they have a caveat that any win that drops RPI is tossed out. I imagine D3 is doing the same?
                        Yes. RPI and PairWise formulas are identical to D-I men.

Comment

Joe, I know SOS is not a criteria but it’s still part of what the PWR incorporates. So yes, just like in the old system, playing and beating good teams gives you a stronger numerical value. That’s the point I’m trying to make.
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

A VERY rough sketch at what the selections would look like if the season ended today...still lots of hockey left to be played and most leagues have unequal number of games played with teams, which effects this as well. Took the teams currently in first place in each league and used tiebreakers (Salve over Nichols, Elmira over Wilkes)

SUNYAC - Geneseo
                            NESCAC - Wesleyan
                            NEHC - UMass Boston
                            CCC - Salve Regina
                            MASCAC - Plymouth State
                            UCHC - Elmira
                            NCHA - St. Norbert
                            MIAC - Augsburg

Pool C - Stevens Point
                            Pool C - Oswego
                            Pool C - Eau Claire
                            Pool C - Williams

Crazy to think the No. 6 ranked team in the PWR right now (Norwich) would be left out of the tournament right now if all conference leaders won.

TONS of hockey left to be played and this can and will change a lot. Right now though, I would think the only two pretty close to being a lock if not almost already clinching it are Geneseo and Stevens Point baring absolute collapses.

That makes for an 8-4 split and a very tough decision on which region has to play first round games. The East has 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8. The West has 2, 4, 9 and 10. In a perfect world, they would have 3 play-ins for the east and 1 play-in for the west so that the top 4 seeds all get the byes they deserve by the PWR...however, that's not how it has worked in the past and it would force a flight for the quarterfinal round.

Can anyone remember the last time a team flew for the quarterfinal round in the NCAA men's hockey tournament? I can't....I know it's happened but the only one I definitely know of is when Elmira flew out to Minnesota to play St. Johns in like 1993 or 1994.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

A VERY rough sketch at what the selections would look like if the season ended today...still lots of hockey left to be played and most leagues have unequal number of games played with teams, which effects this as well. Took the teams currently in first place in each league and used tiebreakers (Salve over Nichols, Elmira over Wilkes)

SUNYAC - Geneseo
                              NESCAC - Wesleyan
                              NEHC - UMass Boston
                              CCC - Salve Regina
                              MASCAC - Plymouth State
                              UCHC - Elmira
                              NCHA - St. Norbert
                              MIAC - Augsburg

Pool C - Stevens Point
                              Pool C - Oswego
                              Pool C - Eau Claire
                              Pool C - Williams

Crazy to think the No. 6 ranked team in the PWR right now (Norwich) would be left out of the tournament right now if all conference leaders won.

TONS of hockey left to be played and this can and will change a lot. Right now though, I would think the only two pretty close to being a lock if not almost already clinching it are Geneseo and Stevens Point baring absolute collapses.

That makes for an 8-4 split and a very tough decision on which region has to play first round games. The East has 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8. The West has 2, 4, 9 and 10. In a perfect world, they would have 3 play-ins for the east and 1 play-in for the west so that the top 4 seeds all get the byes they deserve by the PWR...however, that's not how it has worked in the past and it would force a flight for the quarterfinal round.

Can anyone remember the last time a team flew for the quarterfinal round in the NCAA men's hockey tournament? I can't....I know it's happened but the only one I definitely know of is when Elmira flew out to Minnesota to play St. Johns in like 1993 or 1994.

So who gets the autobid ? The team that is in first place in the conference at the end of the regular season conference games or the team that wins the conference playoffs ???

Comment

Originally posted by gfan View Post
                                So who gets the autobid ? The team that is in first place in the conference at the end of the regular season conference games or the team that wins the conference playoffs ???
                                The team that wins the playoffs. For the sake of Prez's argument right now, he was assuming the team leading the conference will win the conference tourney. We know that never happens though!
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Working...
                                X