Anchorage Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Airport Tower communications during/after earthquake.

https://youtu.be/o80cNJ_XhX0
    They got lucky it wasn’t too busy at around 8:30 that having to go CTAF wasn’t too bad.

Also good the new tower didn’t collapse like the old one in 64.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: Anchorage Earthquake

Good NYT article on Anchorage.

Relevant part:
      “We have come a long way since the 1964 earthquake,” said Joey Yang, the chairman of the civil engineering program at the University of Alaska Anchorage. “Anchorage definitely knows about the power and damage a major earthquake can cause to the infrastructure and buildings.”

Developers must undergo rigorous requirements before building here, he added, particularly in some of the most seismically sensitive areas. Professor Yang is part of an earthquake commission that advises city leaders, whom he credited with taking the building review process seriously.
      That is no joke, I know construction on buildings has been stopped before because they felt the design wouldn’t handle an earthquake.

I know someone asked it and yeah, 1964 is always on the mind here. I was watching a press conference earlier today and a reporter from LA asked our School District Superintendent how and why the response at schools went so smoothly and the Superintendent responded “well, we do practice this every October.”

I kind of shudder to think what would’ve happened in other cities.
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Good NYT article on Anchorage.

Relevant part:

That is no joke, I know construction on buildings has been stopped before because they felt the design wouldn’t handle an earthquake.

I know someone asked it and yeah, 1964 is always on the mind here. I was watching a press conference earlier today and a reporter from LA asked our School District Superintendent how and why the response at schools went so smoothly and the Superintendent responded “well, we do practice this every October.”

I kind of shudder to think what would’ve happened in other cities.
        Probably not well here in Indy. Road damage would probably blend in and go unnoticed though...
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Off-ramp from viral photo is now fixed.
          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            Even cooler, heard the guy in the trapped Toyota made his flight.
            Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Expedited schedule, open checkbook, and the need to get a critical access point re-opened?

You can move mountains in hours with that kind of carte-blanche.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This happened a year ago today. Most of the damage has been repaired though two schools are still closed indefinitely, there’s still a few roads to be fixed and I’m sure plenty of houses as well.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Scared me for a moment. Glad things are improving!!

Comment

Working...
                  X