Anchorage Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage Earthquake

Just saw on the news that a 7.0 earthquake has hit very near Anchorage, and that there is a tsunami warning.

Hope all are ok- for sure there are UAA posters here. Be safe!

(many news outlets have news, and I'm sure it will be shifting all day)

Re: Anchorage Earthquake

Many aftershocks, too- looks like they are going down in power. Just happened to be watching CBSN, and their live local coverage showed an aftershock.

Comment

Posted in tLodge but I’m ok, family is ok. Earthquake was 13k away from Anchorage. Still dealing with aftershocks, some roads have cracks, a few sink holes, busted pipes etc. Traffic is a mess, schools have closed. I’m chilling at work, waiting it out and getting paid.

Thankfully we have planned for this and buildings seem ok. Quite scary though.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I would like to say shoutout to all the engineers developing building codes that allowed the vast majority of our buildings to stand!
        I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          I would like to say shoutout to all the engineers developing building codes that allowed the vast majority of our buildings to stand!
          Structural guys do not mess around, especially in high seismic areas. I've heard of 500 percent factor of safety in load calculations being not uncommon. Plus in high seismic areas the structures are designed to absorb and distribute the forces within themselves.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
            Structural guys do not mess around, especially in high seismic areas. I've heard of 500 percent factor of safety in load calculations being not uncommon. Plus in high seismic areas the structures are designed to absorb and distribute the forces within themselves.
            I’m glad they don’t mess around!
            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

That kind of post takes a lot of worries from people outside of the area.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                That kind of post takes a lot of worries from people outside of the area.
                Like I told my daughter (9), this is why we do all those drills, why we build our buildings the way we do, to be ready for moments like this.
                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Like I told my daughter (9), this is why we do all those drills, why we build our buildings the way we do, to be ready for moments like this.
                  I assume that the codes are in reaction to the quake in the mid-60's which was considerably worse.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I assume that the codes are in reaction to the quake in the mid-60's which was considerably worse.
                    Yeah, we’ve been preparing for this since then. I know they’ve used a lot of the research from various studies.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I remember the National Geographic article on the 1964 quake. Yuk.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Anchorage created a park dedicated to the '64 quake. You can see where entire sections of shoreline sheared off 30+ feet into the ocean.
                        Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          and here mookie thought you bought it just for the topless African babes!!
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                            Anchorage created a park dedicated to the '64 quake. You can see where entire sections of shoreline sheared off 30+ feet into the ocean.
                            The same park we went drinking at when I was in high school!
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Airport Tower communications during/after earthquake.

https://youtu.be/o80cNJ_XhX0
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X