Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MA hockey embarrassing moments at state tourney

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Character is built pretty much by the time you’re six or seven.
    Or so they say. The "proof" for such things is typically rather iffy.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
      Of course, the most famous phrase attributed to Heywood Hale Broun is, "Timex Watches, they take a licking and keep on ticking." I didn't realize he also had an interest in character.
      I thought that was John Cameron Swayze

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        I thought that was John Cameron Swayze
        Ha! You are correct sir! There was a time when I did not confuse my 1960s TV personalities with 3 names, but that time has passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
          Of course, the most famous phrase attributed to Heywood Hale Broun is, "Timex Watches, they take a licking and keep on ticking." I didn't realize he also had an interest in character.
          The phrase "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" was initially part of Hirshon-Garfield's ad campaign for Timex watches in the 50's. They were print ads at first with such gimmicks as a Timex strapped to Mickey Mantle's bat during batting practice, Marciano's wrist during his work on the body bag and Hogan's and Didrickson's drivers on a golf course. Later the ads were brought to television with John Cameron Swazey as the spokesperson for the watches. Maybe the most famous gimmick by Swazey on TV was when he attached the watch to the blade of an outboard motor. I watched a lot of "What's My Line?" and "I've Got A Secret" back then.
          Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 01-03-2019, 09:39 PM. Reason: Heywood was great on the Derby, Preakness and Belmont broadcasts.
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            The phrase "takes a licking and keeps on ticking" was initially part of Hirshon-Garfield's ad campaign for Timex watches in the 50's. They were print ads at first with such gimmicks as a Timex strapped to Mickey Mantle's bat during batting practice, Marciano's wrist during his work on the body bag and Hogan's and Didrickson's drivers on a golf course. Later the ads were brought to television with John Cameron Swazey as the spokesperson for the watches. Maybe the most famous gimmick by Swazey on TV was when he attached the watch to the blade of an outboard motor. I watched a lot of "What's My Line?" and "I've Got A Secret" back then.
            It was also used in Hill Street Blues when Det. LaRue picked up a severed arm and referencing the watch uttered the famous catch phrase.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
            X