Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time For The Annual "Who's going to start a NESCAC thread?" thread

Originally posted by tjoneslo View Post
    Oh, and the Bowdoin/Colby vs Tufts/Conn College is a fight for who gets the last spot in the NESCAC tournament. It will be an interesting weekend next weekend.
    That for the third consecutive year the Polar Bears will enter the last weekend of the regular season fighting for the final playoff spot is a sad reminder of how low the once proud Bowdoin hockey program has fallen.

Over the past FIFTY years Bowdoin has had EIGHT losing seasons. THREE of them have been in the last three years (2016-2017, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019). The other five were in 2008-2009, 1998-1999 and 1990-91 (under Coach Terry Meagher) and 1982-1983 and 1973-1974 (under Coach Sid Watson). One would have to go to the years before the old Dayton Arena was built (late 1950s) to find three losing seasons in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
      That for the third consecutive year the Polar Bears will enter the last weekend of the regular season fighting for the final playoff spot is a sad reminder of how low the once proud Bowdoin hockey program has fallen.

Over the past FIFTY years Bowdoin has had EIGHT losing seasons. THREE of them have been in the last three years (2016-2017, 2017-2018 and 2018-2019). The other five were in 2008-2009, 1998-1999 and 1990-91 (under Coach Terry Meagher) and 1982-1983 and 1973-1974 (under Coach Sid Watson). One would have to go to the years before the old Dayton Arena was built (late 1950s) to find three losing seasons in a row.
      If anything, you are understating just how far the Bowdoin program has fallen -- the last Bowdoin season to reach the level of awfulness achieved in each of the 3 seasons in Jamie Dumont's tenure as head coach was the 1962-63 season when Bowdoin's record was 6-13 . . . The other losing seasons were more in the range of acceptability (like 11-12-2 in 2008-09 or 11-12 in 1990-91). It is a complete head scratcher that the Bowdoin administration has allowed the collapse of this once proud program after so many seasons of excellence.

Comment

And it comes down to today's Wesleyan-Trinity showdown. I must admit that the Cardinals played it closer than I expected last night, so I expect another nail biter this evening with Trinity coming out on top.

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
          If anything, you are understating just how far the Bowdoin program has fallen -- the last Bowdoin season to reach the level of awfulness achieved in each of the 3 seasons in Jamie Dumont's tenure as head coach was the 1962-63 season when Bowdoin's record was 6-13 . . . The other losing seasons were more in the range of acceptability (like 11-12-2 in 2008-09 or 11-12 in 1990-91). It is a complete head scratcher that the Bowdoin administration has allowed the collapse of this once proud program after so many seasons of excellence.
          In December 2015 I sounded an alarm in a post to this list that the Bowdoin hockey program had entered a period of decline. I pointed out specific areas of concern, including subpar recruiting and questionable training techniques. For that I was publicly attacked by individuals close to the Bowdoin hockey program. My Bowdoin class and my employer were publicly identified in this list. I even received a threatening message at my personal email address from a Brunswick resident. The attacks stopped only after I contacted the Bowdoin Director of Athletics. I was prepared to go all the way up to Bowdoin President Clayton Rose but I'm glad that in the end it wasn't necessary.

It seems that the recent history of Bowdoin hockey has vindicated me. The proof is always in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
            In December 2015 I sounded an alarm in a post to this list that the Bowdoin hockey program had entered a period of decline. I pointed out specific areas of concern, including subpar recruiting and questionable training techniques. For that I was publicly attacked by individuals close to the Bowdoin hockey program. My Bowdoin class and my employer were publicly identified in this list. I even received a threatening message at my personal email address from a Brunswick resident. The attacks stopped only after I contacted the Bowdoin Director of Athletics. I was prepared to go all the way up to Bowdoin President Clayton Rose but I'm glad that in the end it wasn't necessary.

It seems that the recent history of Bowdoin hockey has vindicated me. The proof is always in the pudding.
            Yes -- I do remember those vicious attacks on you -- they were just awful . . I hope that the Bowdoin administration will wake up and take decisive steps to right the ship and do something about this ongoing disaster as it did in the past few months
            with regard to the football program . . . . .
            Last edited by d3follower; 02-23-2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

So for the fourth time in 5 years, it is the #1 Trinity vs the #8 Tufts Jumbos in the NESCAC quarterfinal. And while Trinity's record is 3-1 in these contests, this is always a close game.

Comment

Things went as seeded today in the quarterfinals. I expect Trinity to win it all, but I expect Amherst to beat Wesleyan in the semis.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
                  Things went as seeded today in the quarterfinals. I expect Trinity to win it all, but I expect Amherst to beat Wesleyan in the semis.
                  I agree with you on Trinity, but I respectfully disagree re. Amherst over Wesleyan. I think Wesleyan's goaltender will have something to say about that.

Comment

What a week-end for NESCAC hockey!! 3 games, 4 OTs, 6 magnificent goalie performances. Perhaps under certain circumstances video review could be implemented?

Comment

Was there an all tournament team?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
                        Yes -- I do remember those vicious attacks on you -- they were just awful . . I hope that the Bowdoin administration will wake up and take decisive steps to right the ship and do something about this ongoing disaster as it did in the past few months
                        with regard to the football program . . . . .
                        I appreciate your support, d3follower.

The situation at Bowdoin is dire but the athletic administration doesn't appear inclined to make any changes.

Comment

Working...
                        X