Time For The Annual "Who's going to start a NESCAC thread?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For The Annual "Who's going to start a NESCAC thread?" thread

Just over 2 days until the start of another NESCAC season. I'm speculating that Trinity will be the team to beat once again, while Middlebury is likely to repeat in the basement. They are off to a great start in that direction, as they lead in the conference in attrition, with 7 eligible players not returning this year, including 2 d-men who saw a lot of playing time last year. Drop the puck.

Re: Time For The Annual "Who's going to start a NESCAC thread?" thread

Middlebury may indeed repeat as basement dwellers in the NESCAC. Staying with players who put you there may not be the best way out. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is one definition of insanity. Time will tell.

Comment

Well, they tried leading the conference in attrition last year, and look where it got them.

Comment

It's not like the Middy coaches didn't try to recruit well. They lost the one dman recruit to the USHL and ultimately, Notre Dame. So they can theoretically recognize talent when they see it. Not sure what the other attrition is attributable to, but I seem to recall the one dman was a 2-sport athlete which often presents conflicts.

Comment

Granted the season is only 2 games old, but Middlebury seems to have improved. They played a gritty game against Bowdoin yesterday, although they took way too many penalties. Both goalies performed well over the week-end. They already have earned half of last year's total number of NESCAC victories and have surpassed the number of empty netters from the entire 2017-18 campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
            Granted the season is only 2 games old, but Middlebury seems to have improved. They played a gritty game against Bowdoin yesterday, although they took way too many penalties. Both goalies performed well over the week-end. They already have earned half of last year's total number of NESCAC victories and have surpassed the number of empty netters from the entire 2017-18 campaign.
            See, this is the tricky thing about DIII, especially in hockey where there is no DII, that I've always been curious about. I remember McShane at Norwich saying that he doesn't want DIII guys, he wants DI guys. At the same time, if you lose a player to a top program like Notre Dame, then were you aiming too high to begin with? Are you wasting time on a player that is literally out of your league? It seems to me that poor recruiting can go in two directions at this level. Either you're recruiting players who aren't good enough to help you compete. Or you're wasting time recruiting players that are too good and that aren't going to go to your program.
            Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

What's changed in Middlebury this season?!! It would be a bit premature to start planning for the playoffs or anything like that, but thus far they look like a completely different team. In fact, they look like a team. In just 3 games they have scored 10 goals (notched their 10th last season on December 30th), won 2 away games (they only won 2 in 2017-18), outshot their opponents in 2 games (a feat they accomplished 3 times last season), and have 2 more empty netters than in the entire last season. I hope they can continue playing at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by minnesotan in vermont View Post
                What's changed in Middlebury this season?!! It would be a bit premature to start planning for the playoffs or anything like that, but thus far they look like a completely different team. In fact, they look like a team. In just 3 games they have scored 10 goals (notched their 10th last season on December 30th), won 2 away games (they only won 2 in 2017-18), outshot their opponents in 2 games (a feat they accomplished 3 times last season), and have 2 more empty netters than in the entire last season. I hope they can continue playing at this level.
                I was impressed with the Panthers last night. Nice job by Coach Sinclair and company looking like a much different team so far this year. Looking forward to another Norwich/Middlebury showdown tonight!
                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                GO LAKERS!!!
                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  I was impressed with the Panthers last night. Nice job by Coach Sinclair and company looking like a much different team so far this year. Looking forward to another Norwich/Middlebury showdown tonight!
                  Haven't logged on to this forum in a long time. Now that Midd has a hockey team again, its time to reconnect. CongraTulations to the Cadets - good job! One thing I have to say is that 17 penalties in two games or a total of 34 minutes is a bit ridiculous, but it's early days.

Comment

Over the Thanksgiving break, the Jumbos came up with a pair of defensive gems in back to back shutouts of St. Anselm and St. Michael's. Maybe NESCAC needs a few more saints. It will be interesting to see if they carry over some of that momentum against an upgrade in competition this weekend at Williams and Middlebury.

Any thoughts, predictions?

Comment

Originally posted by puckyderm View Post
                      Over the Thanksgiving break, the Jumbos came up with a pair of defensive gems in back to back shutouts of St. Anselm and St. Michael's. Maybe NESCAC needs a few more saints. It will be interesting to see if they carry over some of that momentum against an upgrade in competition this weekend at Williams and Middlebury.

Any thoughts, predictions?
                      Judging by the amount of time Middlebury spent in the sin bin this past weekend, I fear you will have to look elsewhere for saints.
                      If the Panthers can stay out of the penalty box, I think they are capable of winning both games. If they continue playing extended stints of 3 on 5, however, they will go 0 for 2.

Comment

Tufts just laid a whooping on Williams tonight. After the first couple minutes of feeling each other out Tufts pushed the tempo up and scored 3 in the first period.
                        They started the 2nd period kind of laid back, especially on a power play and Williams gained life, but between them not getting the bounces and not really controlling the puck when necessary, they couldn't get good shots. Tufts was able to get a 4th goal before Williams could score and a big juicy rebound. Williams got one back on the PP and quickly scored a second and really had momentum. They lost any momentum they had when they took a took a too many men penalty and then let up a 5th goal on the PK. (Both teams had a too many men and both teams argued them quite a bit)
                        Tufts really ratcheted up the pressure in the 3rd period and didn't allow much free room for skating and Williams really only had a few good chances on one PP opportunity during the 3rd period.

Comment

Tufts is an interesting team. They have been the bottom dwelling team in NESCAC for so long, everyone assumes they are still there. But take them for granted and they will hand you your ***. They manage to come up with some surprising wins. That said, Midd defeated them 6-2 tonight.

Midd has now managed to match their win record for last season. So they can't be any worse than last seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoneslo View Post
                            Tufts is an interesting team. They have been the bottom dwelling team in NESCAC for so long, everyone assumes they are still there. But take them for granted and they will hand you your ***. They manage to come up with some surprising wins. That said, Midd defeated them 6-2 tonight.

Midd has now managed to match their win record for last season. So they can't be any worse than last seasons.
                            Hard to score with backhanders...

Comment

What is going on in Middlebury?! The Panthers I've seen play so far this season bear no resemblance whatsoever to the rag-tags who spent most of the last 3 seasons staring into the headlights. They are coming off their first 4 point NESCAC weekend since the 2013-14 season, and they are playing exciting hockey from end to end and start to finish with every line contributing. I hope they can continue this level of play as it was fun to be in Chip Kenyon arena these past 2 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X