X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

Dumplin':
    Willowdean ('Dumplin'), the plus-size teenage daughter of a former beauty queen, signs up for her mom's Miss Teen Bluebonnet pageant as a protest that escalates when other contestants follow her footsteps, revolutionizing the pageant and their small Texas town.

Touching coming of age movie; Aniston is great in this, along with the actress that plays Dumplin'. For you Sons Of Anarchy fans, it's weird seeing Damon Pope as a drag queen. Definitely recommend, it was quite entertaining.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      Free Solo — as a person that rock climbs infrequently and poorly (but also spends time hanging over cliffs for technical rescues in Acadia National Park), parts of this were very unsettling to me. Alex Honnold’s ability to suppress fear is mind boggling. Jimmy Chin’s camera work thousands of feet up a cliff is superb as always. Planning on seeing it again during its week long IMAX run or at our pizza & beer theater.
      If you liked that, try Meru, To The Limit (Am Limit), and Valley Uprising.

Valley is probably my favorite documentary of all time. Has some of early Honnold clips before he free soloed El Capitan.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

White Boy Rick:

Kid gets recruited to become an informant with the FBI, then gets burned. Based on a true story.

I fully enjoyed it. Matty McC is great, duh. Richie Merritt as White Boy Rick does a really good job portraying the character. You honestly believe he IS WBR. It still makes me chuckle whenever I see Rory Cochrane (Slater from Dazed And Confused) in a movie. I dunno why. Jenn Jason Leigh is good in her smaller role as of the FBI agents. Def worth a watch.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I found it boring as heck. It wasn't bad but it was kinda...meh.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I found it boring as heck. It wasn't bad but it was kinda...meh.
            Truthfully, I am a little biased when it comes to the subject matter of movies like this. So I get it.

Comment

Spider-Man Into The Spiderverse is amazing! Great story, great animation. Just as good as MCU movies!
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Saw Leave No Trace. Very different, def interesting about a father and daughter who live off the grid

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  If you liked that, try Meru, To The Limit (Am Limit), and Valley Uprising.

Valley is probably my favorite documentary of all time. Has some of early Honnold clips before he free soloed El Capitan.
                  I've probably watched Valley Uprising a dozen times (sometimes I watch while i'm on the stationary bike or treadmill). First saw it in full at the Reel Rock film tour, then they showed the "Golden Age" section on the Banff Mountain Film Festival tour. I've repeated it many times on Netflix now. I've also seen at least a dozen different short climbing films that featured or included Honnold at the Banff Mountain Film festival and Reel Rock over the years (A Line Across The Sky, Sufferfest 1 and 2, Honnold 3.0, and Expedition Antartica are some of the better ones I remember).

I've also seen Meru (Conrad Anker and Jimmy Chin are great)

Comment

London Town:
                    In '70s London, a 14 year-old boy is introduced to the Clash by his estranged mother. It changes his life forever.

It's a'ight. Rather light for a coming of age movie, but it could have been much worse. Didn't mind spending the 90 minutes to watch it.

BTW, I did forget to mention that the soundtrack to White Boy Rick kicked all sorts of arse.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      I've probably watched Valley Uprising a dozen times (sometimes I watch while i'm on the stationary bike or treadmill). First saw it in full at the Reel Rock film tour, then they showed the "Golden Age" section on the Banff Mountain Film Festival tour. I've repeated it many times on Netflix now. I've also seen at least a dozen different short climbing films that featured or included Honnold at the Banff Mountain Film festival and Reel Rock over the years (A Line Across The Sky, Sufferfest 1 and 2, Honnold 3.0, and Expedition Antartica are some of the better ones I remember).

I've also seen Meru (Conrad Anker and Jimmy Chin are great)
                      Glad there’s someone else who likes it so much. It’s everything a documentary should be. It doesn’t hurt that the subject matter is interesting. If Netflix ever pulls it, I’m buying the Blu-ray.

Any other good climbing films I should watch?
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Glad there’s someone else who likes it so much. It’s everything a documentary should be. It doesn’t hurt that the subject matter is interesting. If Netflix ever pulls it, I’m buying the Blu-ray.

Any other good climbing films I should watch?
                        Have you seen Dawn Wall?

Any of the short films that win awards at Banff are worth finding
                        Cold, The Last Great Climb, Honnold 3.0, A Line Across The Sky are some that I remember

Comment

I haven’t seen them but I’ll check them out.
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            I haven’t seen them but I’ll check them out.
                            Dawn Wall is worth checking out for sure. It’s feature length, I don’t think it’s streaming with Netflix/Hulu/Prime but you can rent or buy it on Amazon or iTunes

Comment

How about Vertical Limit?

/kidding

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                BlacKkKlansman.

No review. The reason: in 7th grade, science fair, we could do a project or a 10 page paper (no more, no less). One fellow student chose a paper on black holes (he was obsessed by them) and said, "I can do a teaser with 3 pages, or do a full project of 20-some pages. 10 pages...only a partial picture."

Same with this movie. I can give a 3 sentence teaser, or go on for about a dozen long paragraphs about this movie. In the end, my review is "Watch it." Quality.
                                I concur. Fine movie.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X