X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

Yes, I know comic book movies get little play around here. But for those of you that enjoy them, go see this one. Solid A from me... It plays to fans of the genre through lots of self-directed, inside jokes while also having solid portrayals of the characters it uses. It's not 100% accurate, but changes that were made fit well in this world. The story is very character driven.

Also, for those that are film buffs but not necessarily comic book people, this movie has a very distinct, unique animation style. Very different from other CGI Animation film like PIXAR or Shrek. That made this movie visually stunning. I saw it in 2D and I feel that was a mistake. This film was made to be seen in 3D and you are doing yourself a disservice by not doing that. Well worth the price of a matinee for that alone...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse

Yes, I know comic book movies get little play around here. But for those of you that enjoy them, go see this one. Solid A from me... It plays to fans of the genre through lots of self-directed, inside jokes while also having solid portrayals of the characters it uses. It's not 100% accurate, but changes that were made fit well in this world. The story is very character driven.

Also, for those that are film buffs but not necessarily comic book people, this movie has a very distinct, unique animation style. Very different from other CGI Animation film like PIXAR or Shrek. That made this movie visually stunning. I saw it in 2D and I feel that was a mistake. This film was made to be seen in 3D and you are doing yourself a disservice by not doing that. Well worth the price of a matinee for that alone...
      I saw it this past weekend, and I have to say that even Nicholas Cage was well cast for his voice role.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Crazy rich Asian - BOING!!!
        Mile 22 - incredibly dumb
        Marine 6 - why kill off the miz?
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Went to see The Mule. Not Eastwood's best but it was aight.

This looks real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNe2C5U8a2M&vl=en
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Terminal:

Two hit men take a job from a mysterious man. Along the way, they encounter some odd people, including a waitress who may know more than she's letting on.
            Margot Robbie is great in this, as well as the main hit man. Usually not my style of movie, but this was bizarre enough to hold my attention throughout.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Sea Of Trees:

A suicidal American befriends a Japanese man lost in a forest that is traditionally known for people to commit suicide near Mt. Fuji and the two search for a way out.

A touch artsy at times, but doesn't cross the line. Very somber, and very moving. Lots of foreshadowing, a couple twists make the plot not as simple as it seems (which ties into the foreshadowing). Well worth a watch, and strengthens my thought that Matty McC needs to stick to indie movies. Much better roles for him.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

BlacKkKlansman.

No review. The reason: in 7th grade, science fair, we could do a project or a 10 page paper (no more, no less). One fellow student chose a paper on black holes (he was obsessed by them) and said, "I can do a teaser with 3 pages, or do a full project of 20-some pages. 10 pages...only a partial picture."

Same with this movie. I can give a 3 sentence teaser, or go on for about a dozen long paragraphs about this movie. In the end, my review is "Watch it." Quality.

Comment

Bird Box:

5 years after an unseen presence drives most of society to suicide, a survivor and her two children make a desperate bid to reach safety.

Solid and suspenseful, my kind of horror movie. Sandra Bullock is great, and Malkovich perfectly plays the quintessential a-hole. Definitely worth a watch.

Comment

My NYE plans fell through just a few minutes ago. So my wife and I are going to see BumbleBee. It has great >90% on the RT score, but I'm still not going into it over-excited.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      Bird Box:

5 years after an unseen presence drives most of society to suicide, a survivor and her two children make a desperate bid to reach safety.

Solid and suspenseful, my kind of horror movie. Sandra Bullock is great, and Malkovich perfectly plays the quintessential a-hole. Definitely worth a watch.
                      I don't understand why this is getting so much praise. I thought it was OK at best, and fairly predictable (Agree on Bullock and Malkovich though)
                      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                      Originally posted by Quizmire
                      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                        I don't understand why this is getting so much praise. I thought it was OK at best, and fairly predictable (Agree on Bullock and Malkovich though)
                        While the ending is fairly predictable, the getting there part could have gone 18 different ways. I think that's what I liked most about it. They did a good job on the overall story.

Comment

The Great Raid:

In WWII, US soldiers are on a mission to liberate US/Filipino soldiers from the Japanese.

Pretty standard war movie, but worth a watch. A touch of the dramatic which is also a little glossy, of course. Not every war movie can be Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket. I do like that they chose a subject that hasn't been well-covered in other movies, that I know about.

Comment

Security:
                            An ex-armed forces guy takes a job as a mall cop, ends up having to protect a young girl who is supposed to testify in a major trial.

Pure cliched/popcorn/mindless action movie. It's amazing how mercs can miss their shot when it really matters. That being said, it was exactly the kind of movie I was looking for to start the day. It did have Antonio Banderas and Ben Kingsley, so not all was lost, although nowadays both are just doing paycheck movies.

Comment

Free Solo — as a person that rock climbs infrequently and poorly (but also spends time hanging over cliffs for technical rescues in Acadia National Park), parts of this were very unsettling to me. Alex Honnold’s ability to suppress fear is mind boggling. Jimmy Chin’s camera work thousands of feet up a cliff is superb as always. Planning on seeing it again during its week long IMAX run or at our pizza & beer theater.

Comment

Watched and liked "On the Basis of Sex", partly because it is nice in these times to be reminded that there are some highly intelligent people, who actually wish to do good, in our government.
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X