X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I would say it goes back to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...but yeah.
    I liked Charlie, but it wasn't outstanding. Forgot about Blow, and yeah, that was an overrated movie. Same with that last chapter in the Desperado "trilogy." He was good in it, but the movie wasn't that great.

Public Enemies was ok, but it was hyped too much. He did have a classic line in there, though, I dare say HOF worthy (as in top 100):
    John Dillinger: I was raised on a farm in Mooresville, Indiana. My mama died when I was three, my daddy beat the hell out of me cause he didn't know no better way to raise me. I like baseball, movies, good clothes, fast cars, whiskey, and you... what else you need to know?

He just has a LOT of "meh" movies.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Wifey asked me to watch Harry Potter so...in two weeks I watched all 8. Whomever told me these were Star Wars for the younger generation must have been high.

1-4 were childish and almost comedic, however 5-8 I really enjoyed.
      Too bad Gary Oldman didn’t play a larger role he was great as usual. And Alan Rickman? I love Snape!

Maybe I need to read the books, as a newby I thought there was a helll of a lot of unexplained or underexplained characters. I mean, maybe I missed it but just what was Tom Riddle’s motivation? That character made prequel Anakin look good and don’t get me started on that one!!!!

Sounds like FB 1 was good but the new one is meh?
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

The Most Assassinated Woman In The World:

French movie, set in 1930s Paris, where an actress who is renowned for her on-stage deaths is being stalked and also haunted by her past. It's okay, a bit artsy-fartsy for me, but not obnoxiously so. The acting is really good, the style....eh. It IS French, so it should be expected. Give it a gander, if you want to take a chance on a movie.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          Wifey asked me to watch Harry Potter so...in two weeks I watched all 8. Whomever told me these were Star Wars for the younger generation must have been high.

Too bad Gary Oldman didn’t play a larger role he was great as usual. And Alan Rickman? I love Snape!

Maybe I need to read the books, as a newby I thought there was a helll of a lot of unexplained or underexplained characters. I mean, maybe I missed it but just what was Tom Riddle’s motivation? That character made prequel Anakin look good and don’t get me started on that one!!!!

They're children's books.

Tom Riddle's motivation is he's Evil. Pure, simple, and timeless.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

There is a lot more information in the books. Riddle's motivation is that he's raised an orphan and is an outcast for being different. He doesn't fit in anywhere, and blames the muggle world that he was brought up in. When he's older he kills his muggle father who never loved his witch mom (mom was infatuated with Tom Riddle Sr. and bewitched him, killing herself when she realized he'd never love her). Other than that, power. In real life isn't power the motivation for most villains?

I love the Harry Potter books and enjoy the movies. I would never say they are an equivalent to Star Wars. The target audience age for Harry Potter is younger: kids books and kids movies. I have a hard time watching the first couple of HP movies as the child actors age shows in their acting ability.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

I didn't see FB1, didn't see a single Potter movie after the 1st, and I don't think I've read a book from the genre since I read Tolkien in junior high. That's not meant to be snarky just laying down some perspective, but I clearly didn't mind Depp nor the totality of FB2 as much as many here clearly did. Perhaps it was having no preconceptions that helped but I just sat back and enjoyed the 3D effects, Jude Law, Zoe Kravitz, Dan Fogler, Eddie Redmayne and others. There were a few plot holes imho including the story around Credence, the relationships between Newt/Leta/Theseus weren't fleshed out well enough , Queenie changing ranks so easily and I thought the blood pact was lame, but it wasn't enough to kill it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                There is a lot more information in the books. Riddle's motivation is that he's raised an orphan and is an outcast for being different. He doesn't fit in anywhere, and blames the muggle world that he was brought up in. When he's older he kills his muggle father who never loved his witch mom (mom was infatuated with Tom Riddle Sr. and bewitched him, killing herself when she realized he'd never love her). Other than that, power. In real life isn't power the motivation for most villains?

I love the Harry Potter books and enjoy the movies. I would never say they are an equivalent to Star Wars. The target audience age for Harry Potter is younger: kids books and kids movies. I have a hard time watching the first couple of HP movies as the child actors age shows in their acting ability.
                This is helpful, thanks!
                I probably should have read the books.
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  They're children's books.

Tom Riddle's motivation is he's Evil. Pure, simple, and timeless.
                  Yes, they are children's books, but they turn much more serious in their themes at the end of book 4 and then for the remainder of the series. They still tell the tale of a child who's still on 17 when the final book concludes, but the final few books don't really have much of the same tone at all as the first few.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    Yes, they are children's books, but they turn much more serious in their themes at the end of book 4 and then for the remainder of the series. They still tell the tale of a child who's still on 17 when the final book concludes, but the final few books don't really have much of the same tone at all as the first few.
                    I've read the books. If she had started with the same tone then she could not have stretched the series out for 7 books. Pretty sure I read somewhere at some time that the word and definition of a horcrux was in book two in the first couple of drafts but she smartly pulled it because it was giving too much away too soon. The tone changes because as you go further and further along it becomes more and more clear that either Harry or Voldemort has to die.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      The 7th book is pretty *ing dark, a lot of stuff happening in that one.
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

3 is both the best movie by far and best book. 6 is 2nd best of both, though much closer in the books. 2 is the weakest of both.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          I've read the books. If she had started with the same tone then she could not have stretched the series out for 7 books. Pretty sure I read somewhere at some time that the word and definition of a horcrux was in book two in the first couple of drafts but she smartly pulled it because it was giving too much away too soon. The tone changes because as you go further and further along it becomes more and more clear that either Harry or Voldemort has to die.
                          The tone changes because she tried to write them to the age of the characters. Book 1 is written for someone 6 years younger than book 7.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            The tone changes because she tried to write them to the age of the characters. Book 1 is written for someone 6 years younger than book 7.
                            That too. My point was the themes were always there.

Comment

I saw The Frontrunner. Very well made film.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Went and saw Ralph Breaks the Internet.

It can be summed up as Disney making fun of itself for two hours. I thought it was good and funny but I could see how some won’t like it.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X