Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    Wifey asked me to watch Harry Potter so...in two weeks I watched all 8. Whomever told me these were Star Wars for the younger generation must have been high.

1-4 were childish and almost comedic, however 5-8 I really enjoyed.
    Too bad Gary Oldman didnít play a larger role he was great as usual. And Alan Rickman? I love Snape!

Maybe I need to read the books, as a newby I thought there was a helll of a lot of unexplained or underexplained characters. I mean, maybe I missed it but just what was Tom Riddleís motivation? That character made prequel Anakin look good and donít get me started on that one!!!!

Sounds like FB 1 was good but the new one is meh?
    3 is both the best movie by far and best book. 6 is 2nd best of both, though much closer in the books. 2 is the weakest of both.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I've read the books. If she had started with the same tone then she could not have stretched the series out for 7 books. Pretty sure I read somewhere at some time that the word and definition of a horcrux was in book two in the first couple of drafts but she smartly pulled it because it was giving too much away too soon. The tone changes because as you go further and further along it becomes more and more clear that either Harry or Voldemort has to die.
    The tone changes because she tried to write them to the age of the characters. Book 1 is written for someone 6 years younger than book 7.

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    The tone changes because she tried to write them to the age of the characters. Book 1 is written for someone 6 years younger than book 7.
    That too. My point was the themes were always there.

Loser Teacher

Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

I saw The Frontrunner. Very well made film.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Already insane, UAA making it worse

Went and saw Ralph Breaks the Internet.

It can be summed up as Disney making fun of itself for two hours. I thought it was good and funny but I could see how some wonít like it.

Yep, still here

What fool saw last years King Arthur movie bomb and thought it was a good idea to give someone money to make a Robin Hood movie just like it?
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Man Of Tai Chi:
    A young martial artist's unparalleled Tai Chi skills land him in a highly lucrative underworld fight club. Keanu's debut as a director, and he's a main character in it. Nice little kung-fu movie, sort of an "Enter The Dragon" plot that's been modernized. Good action scenes, with some serious nods to kung-fu predecessors. If you like this sort of movie, I'd take a watch.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs

A few short stories set in the Wild West, by the Coens. None are connected. The stories ranged from the absurd to the serious/dark, to a mix of both. Loved it. Thought the final story's dialogue had touches of Tarantino, in the style. Definitely recommend.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

The Crew:

French movie, standard heist flick. Meh. I really don't have to say any more than that.

Anyone seen the trailer for "Welcome to Marwen"? Quite an interesting story. I'm intrigued.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by RENCEB View Post
    Anyone seen the trailer for "Welcome to Marwen"? Quite an interesting story. I'm intrigued.
    I want to see it. Steve Carrell seems made for this role; his first love is drama, but it offers plenty of comedic opportunities, too.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Crazy Rich Asians:

A little soft in the middle, almost a Lifetime type movie, but the beginning and ending made up for it, given the culture it is covering. I liked it quite a bit, definitely worth a watch.

And the Mah Jongg scene! BEAUTY! I was talking to myself calling out the tiles/etc during that scene.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Crazy Rich Asians:

A little soft in the middle, almost a Lifetime type movie, but the beginning and ending made up for it, given the culture it is covering. I liked it quite a bit, definitely worth a watch.

And the Mah Jongg scene! BEAUTY! I was talking to myself calling out the tiles/etc during that scene.
    Would mookie enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Would mookie enjoy it?
    lol, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Would mookie enjoy it?
    It's "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" for Asians.

Vice looks like it may decent.

Green Room:

On the last stop of their low-budget tour, a punk band finds that they are playing for some hard-core Neo-Nazis. Things take a twisted turn, as you might expect.
    It was okay. Checked it out only because Patrick Stewart is in it. It was worth 90 minutes of my time.

The Kindergarten Teacher:

A teacher thinks one of her students is a prodigy, and tries to make sure he succeeds, even if it means crossing some lines.

YAWN. Predictable, boring, not even sure if it's LifetimeChannel level of a movie. Don't bother.

not particularly bad

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    The Kindergarten Teacher:

A teacher thinks one of her students is a prodigy, and tries to make sure he succeeds, even if it means crossing some lines.

YAWN. Predictable, boring, not even sure if it's LifetimeChannel level of a movie. Don't bother.
    I could have warned you on that one. I like Maggie Gyllenhaal which is the reason I watched it. I agree with your assessment.

I like Maggie Gyllenhaal
    Really enjoyed "Secretary".
    A bad cause requires many words.

Thread Information