X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Everyone hated the last one. I loved it. I'm expecting it to be fantastic.
    I enjoyed The Last Jedi, too. People wanted some different, Star Wars delivered.

...But it was too different and didn't meet our expectations on how a Star Wars story should progress.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I enjoyed The Last Jedi, too. People wanted some different, Star Wars delivered.

...But it was too different and didn't meet our expectations on how a Star Wars story should progress.
      That wasnt what most of them were saying (myself included) it was that the "being different" style choices were just not the right ones. You can be different but still at least have the film not seem completely out of place with the film it is a sequel too. The changes were stupid. If you are going to change things be a bit more creative and have it, oh I dont know, make sense! They spent so much time trying to be different they barely had a coherent storyline throughout the film. Lots of dangling and stupid plot threads that served zero purpose in the film at all were interwoven just to give characters something to do. The entire Monte Carlo Planet story was so dumb it was beyond words and wasted Finn and Rose. (but hey...they freed some horses!!) Especially since they never even got close to accomplishing their mission (finding the keybreaker) so they trust a jailed up con man that just so happens to be in jail with them. Whoever came up with that idea was either drunk or high. And the ending...good lord that ending.

And dont even get me started about the ridiculous "OJ Chase" in space. Apparently a long time ago in a galaxy far far away everyone became legit lazy and stupid...I swear it would have made more sense to say both ships ran out of gas then what they had. Spaceballs did it better...

It isnt that they tried something different, I applaud that. But just doing something different doesnt make it good. The something different has to work and for many of us none of this did. Hell many of the characters were barely recognizable from the previous film. (let alone the previous trilogy) Johnson basically took what Abrams did and said "HAHA NOPE!". Thank God Han Solo was dead cause who knows how badly he would have made him look in this film...probably would have shot Chewie and used the Falcon for sex slavery or something.

I want to believe that Episode IX will be better (since it sounds like Abrams is going to fix the storylines he put in that Johnson broke) but I am skeptical. As I said when Disney bought Star Wars I dont think they are going to do right by it. They have put out too many movies and people arent as hyped as they used to be over it. Star Wars isnt Marvel...it has a very defined audience who are very loyal but also quite fickle so if you space movies out right and make them enjoyable it is easy money. Over saturate and you run the risk of fans just not caring. Disney has no skin in the game, it is just another property to them. They will run it into the ground if they can.

edit: I am glad some of you like it, just like I was glad some people liked Solo. It is literally the only Star Wars film I cannot rewatch and I once rewatched Attack of the Clones. And my opinion is nice compared to most of the people I know.
      Last edited by Handyman; 02-14-2019, 09:40 AM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The entire movie made sense to me. The chase/gambling sequence with Finn was a little weird and confusing but I didn't care cause that wasn't what I was there for but everything else was so awesome and every change they made (tweaks more than changes) were incredible and I loved all of it.

My second favorite Star Wars film.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          The entire movie made sense to me. The chase/gambling sequence with Finn was a little weird and confusing but I didn't care cause that wasn't what I was there for but everything else was so awesome and every change they made (tweaks more than changes) were incredible and I loved all of it.

My second favorite Star Wars film.
          And that is cool. It is a divisive film (it was meant to be) so fans like us will end up on opposite sides on it. As I said I am glad people liked it I just didnt. I am not one of those weirdos that boycotts and puts up petitions or anything I just have my opinion

I will be there opening week to see Episode IX just like always and I may like it or I may not. I will be there though
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Everyone hated the last one. I loved it. I'm expecting it to be fantastic.
            Almost all of my friends hated TLJ. I loved it at first but now i’m Luke warm on it. I no longer like how far they went with Skywalker. That needs more explanation. But I very much like Kylo Ren slicing Snoke in half which you could see coming when he got insulted early on. It destroyed the rule of two and showed the rise of a new face of evil. Also, Reylo foreshadowing. Great stuff.

But... they wasted Finn, Poe, Rose and Holdo. And I don’t know *** with Leia.

I’ll start a spoiler thread for anyone who wants the hot gossip on IX.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              Almost all of my friends hated TLJ. I loved it at first but now i’m Luke warm on it. I no longer like how far they went with Skywalker. That needs more explanation. But I very much like Kylo Ren slicing Snoke in half which you could see coming when he got insulted early on. It destroyed the rule of two and showed the rise of a new face of evil. Also, Reylo foreshadowing. Great stuff.

But... they wasted Finn, Poe, Rose and Holdo. And I don’t know *** with Leia.

I’ll start a spoiler thread for anyone who wants the hot gossip on IX.
              That's what I loved. The Rule of Two is a Sith thing. The Sith are gone. This is a new thing, new rules. Leia part was great. Finn, Poe, Rose, and Holdo are fine.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

TLJ was even worse than TFA and I didn't think they could do that. I however remain optimistic for IX for some reason. My rankings so far:

V
                IV
                VI
                III
                VII
                VIII
                I
                II

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  TLJ was even worse than TFA and I didn't think they could do that. I however remain optimistic for IX for some reason. My rankings so far:

V
                  IV
                  VI
                  III
                  VII
                  VIII
                  I
                  II
                  6 (if every scene with the Ewoks were removed, then 6 is on par with 4)

I remember liking 7. I thought somewhere between 3 and 4 on the rankings above. Need to see it again.

Haven’t seen last Jedi.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I saw Alita: Battle Angel...it had the potential to be really great. 75% of the film is really really good. The stupid motorball storyline (which I am sure is big in the Manga but just is bloat here) ruins it. It is like the Pod racing in Episode 1...just so awful. Even with that though I am glad I saw it (especially since I saw it in 3D since I dont pay for it) and do recommend it. Gets 7.5 out of 10.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

V
                      IV
                      III.5 (if this was the best SW movie we'll ever get in my lifetime, I'm fine with that)
                      VI
                      VIII
                      VII
                      III
                      II
                      I

Honestly, VII and VIII could be tied, but I gave the edge to 8 for at least trying to be different, even if that led to a lot of hate. Doubt I'll ever see Solo.

Comment

Ok I guess I technically left one out so:

V
                        IV
                        III.V
                        VI
                        III
                        VII
                        VIII
                        I
                        II

Comment

V
                          VIII
                          IV
                          VII
                          III.5
                          VI
                          Han Solo
                          III
                          II
                          I

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            V
                            IV
                            III.5 (if this was the best SW movie we'll ever get in my lifetime, I'm fine with that)
                            VI
                            VIII
                            VII
                            III
                            II
                            I

Honestly, VII and VIII could be tied, but I gave the edge to 8 for at least trying to be different, even if that led to a lot of hate. Doubt I'll ever see Solo.
                            Solo's a fine movie if you just take it for a simple action movie. If you try to parse it apart, to really fit it into the Star Wars universe, that's where people seem to find their hatred of it.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Solo's a fine movie if you just take it for a simple action movie. If you try to parse it apart, to really fit it into the Star Wars universe, that's where people seem to find their hatred of it.
                              Yep, it was a fun movie, nothing more than that.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                                Actually if it had just been any random character it would have been better. Making it a Han origin film (that no one really wanted anyways) was a major miscalculation. Not delaying it when they died the directors was their second huge mistake because Ron Howard had no chance to really fix the problems.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X