X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    In a more dignified way, psychologists will tell you that most people are lemmings and will do what their immediate authority figures tell them to do. Most people track towards an authority figure, it's why the world likes to have its leaders.
    I get that, but for most scientists and engineers, the truth is their authority. Or rather, I'd like to think so.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I get that, but for most scientists and engineers, the truth is their authority. Or rather, I'd like to think so.
      One of the most counter-intuitive and creepiest results of the Millgram experiment was that the kids with more science education were more likely to follow orders and apply the shocks.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I has a sad
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I has a sad
          Yeah. That's one of maybe 5 things I've heard in my life where I thought, "Wow. That makes me rethink a tenet of my worldview." It's up there with the double slit experiment.

(Don't, mookie, Just don't.)
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Double slit is the one where it seems to violate time, right? When I first heard that I think I sat there for a good hour and tried to wrap my head around it. Futile.

I’m going to have to think about the Millgram thing. Something else had to be a factor there.
            Code:

Comment

Double slit is the one where it seems to violate time, right?
              First of all and most importantly, it doesn't "seem" to do anything. It's not an illusion. It's what really happens.

In the tame version it just violates the wave / particle duality. That part's boring: who decreed particles have to behave like large objects? No problem so far.

In the strong version it violates causality, and f-ck that noise that's where I throw my pages in the air like Zappa watching Terry Bozio play the Black Page one-handed while eating a sandwich. That's Nature saying "hold my beer."

A fun logical overview of the same.
              Last edited by Kepler; 03-20-2019, 12:07 PM.
              Cornell University

Comment

It's messed up. When detectors are thrown on to track the electrons the interference pattern disappears. Mine asplosion.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  One of the most counter-intuitive and creepiest results of the Millgram experiment was that the kids with more science education were more likely to follow orders and apply the shocks.
                  I thought the most interesting part of this particular documentary was a guy named Dan Ariely, who I think is some sort of behavioral psychologist.

The director seemed intent on analyzing the question of whether Holmes is just a greedy, pathological liar (a position I tend to support), or, was she a "true believer" who had so wrapped herself up into this thought that her company truly had a chance to change the world and people's health condition for the better that she couldn't conceive that what she was doing is wrong.

The psychologist talked about experiments they had performed involving dice. The participants were handed a single die and told to toss it. They were told that however many dots on the die came face up, they would get a dollar for each dot.

Then they changed the experiment. They told the participants they would throw the die, but before they did so, they should choose to get paid based upon the dots that came face up, or the dots that were face down. They weren't to tell anyone their choice (face up or face down) but simply keep it in their mind until after they threw the die. At that point they were asked to reveal what their choice had been.

The psychologist reported that if the die came up with the one or six face up, the participants would usually claim they had chosen the side with the six. However, whenever the die came up with the three and four in play, participants were more willing to say they had gotten "unlucky" and would say they were thinking of the side where the three was located, you know, to show they weren't just claiming to have always been thinking of the side with the most dots.

But then they changed the test for a final time. This time the payment based upon the dots that were on the side they had silently chosen would be made to a charity of their choice. The participants would almost always claim they had picked the side with the most dots. Because they weren't getting the money, there was no "guilt" about lying, coupled with the fact that in their minds the money was going to a good cause.

Now, what that little story told by the psychologist had to do with a young woman scamming people out of millions of dollars I really have no idea, but I've always enjoyed hearing about human behavior experiments like that one.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I'm off track here - what is/are the name of the documentary(ies?) being discussed?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      I'm off track here - what is/are the name of the documentary(ies?) being discussed?

Thanks
                      I was talking about The Inventor: Out For Blood in Silicon Valley that was on HBO earlier this week.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

That experiment is great. Thanks.

I did some graduate work in a topic called "Distributive Justice," which consists of those kinds of fun social psych experiments and assorted Stupid Human Tricks. The thrust in this case wasn't about the degree to which people lied, cheated or whatever but the degree to which they would view certain configurations as just or unjust. It was somewhat interesting work, if only because my job was to do lit surveys so I would summarize dozens of these experiments run all over the world. I thought it would be much more interesting to study what experimenters came up with as testable criteria of justice -- a sociology of social psychological experimentation -- but my adviser was a stodgy old school Harvard guy then allied with Hoover and he wasn't interested. That should have told me everything I needed to know about the department right then, TBH.
                        Cornell University

Comment

It's interesting to see the degree to which these tests show how our tendencies are either active or vestigial survival tools. It is difficult to fight the monkey brain, but if we understand what the brain is doing and why, we at least stand a fighting chance to become better humans. And prosper, both.

Comment

Interesting. I had completely missed that her chemical engineering processor at Stanford was one of the most vocal supporters.

I has more sads.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              The first half of the film is good...very noirish. If falls apart right about the time Jeff Bridges becomes the focal point. Chris Hemsworth is awesome as his character but that storyline was so awful...

If someone like James Mangold who did Identity had made the film I think it could have been amazing. Instead it wastes the good actors and lets the mediocre ones take over the film. It also banks on people loving Jeff Bridges even when he is rather worthless to the story.
                              Dang, forgot about Identity. That movie crossed my mind for a moment, but the all the other stuff in the movie made me forget why I thought of Identity in the first place. Well done! (BTW, I did love Identity; any movie where you really can't say anything w/o spoiling it...).

12 Round Gun:

Boxing guy falls on hard times, tries to redeem himself b/c of (insert family and personal life problems).

Yep, as cliched as the description makes it. I will say I liked it, only because the actors did well with what they had to work with. The story itself has been told 100x over. Time killer at best, overall.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The headline is that the president of Fox studios was fired today as part of the Disney acquisition. The real story is the 4000 rank and file employees about to follow him out the door. Unlike him, they don't have golden parachutes. They are being pushed from the plane with anvils in their backpacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X