Page 1 of 51 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 1001

Thread: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

  1. #1
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,341

    Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Solo

    Finally saw it. That was goll darn entertaining. The "easter eggs"/references were outstanding. I wish Disney continued with the origin stories, but I understand why they are not going to do so. I'm not a fanboy of Star Wars, I only stick to the movies, so the people who read/see the whole canon stuff might disagree, but I definitely recommend this movie.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Shore
    Posts
    3,694

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody and thoroughly enjoyed it. Got a little dusty in there a coupla times. Not sure what they left out or didn't delve into far enough(or care)but the theater was 85% full on Sat and better than half the audience was clapping at the end. Guaranteed Rami Malek gets an Oscar nomination.
    A bad cause requires many words.

  3. #3
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    42,154

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Guaranteed Rami Malek gets an Oscar nomination.
    has he ever done anything that wasn't good?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Shore
    Posts
    3,694

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    has he ever done anything that wasn't good?
    First time I've ever seen him. Had to Google him when I found out he was playing Mercury.
    A bad cause requires many words.

  5. #5
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,650

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Solo

    Finally saw it. That was goll darn entertaining. The "easter eggs"/references were outstanding. I wish Disney continued with the origin stories, but I understand why they are not going to do so. I'm not a fanboy of Star Wars, I only stick to the movies, so the people who read/see the whole canon stuff might disagree, but I definitely recommend this movie.
    I thought it was a fun movie, but nothing great. Some people hated it because it wasn't traditional Star Wars, the timeline of events were either too fast or the time breaks weren't properly explained in the movie, and it doesn't really do anything other than introduce Han to Chewbacca and Lando. Regardless, it didn't do well at the box office, and Disney lost its mouse's shirt on the movie. (Just look at Mickey's photos lately!)

    Also, there were a ton of Easter eggs for people who were watching the Star Wars cartoons, too. Name drops like Aura Sing were given who shows up a number of times in the Clone Wars series. They were quick references in the movie, and don't really detract from the experience if you don't know the names.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  6. #6
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    30,385

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    The Meg.

    Jurassic Park meets Jaws. Not nearly as good as either. Pretty much what I expected. Ok time killing movie.

    Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

    Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

    Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

    Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

  7. #7
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,341

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I thought it was a fun movie, but nothing great. Some people hated it because it wasn't traditional Star Wars, the timeline of events were either too fast or the time breaks weren't properly explained in the movie, and it doesn't really do anything other than introduce Han to Chewbacca and Lando. Regardless, it didn't do well at the box office, and Disney lost its mouse's shirt on the movie. (Just look at Mickey's photos lately!)

    Also, there were a ton of Easter eggs for people who were watching the Star Wars cartoons, too. Name drops like Aura Sing were given who shows up a number of times in the Clone Wars series. They were quick references in the movie, and don't really detract from the experience if you don't know the names.
    Yeah, no clue here. Only caught stuff in reference to the main movies. I agree it's not Oscar-worthy, but it was better than many people portrayed it to be.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  8. #8
    International Spy
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    3,480

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Mid 90's.

    Not bad. Pretty intense coming of age type of movie. They did pretty well for almost none of them being actors. I saw the main kid get interviewed where he had a lot of trouble pretending that he couldn't skate. That was pretty funny to hear.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    191

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    The Mule looks like its gonna be a decent movie. Big names in it. Am a little worried about how Clints age/acting will play in though.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Shore
    Posts
    3,694

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    The Mule looks like its gonna be a decent movie. Big names in it. Am a little worried about how Clints age/acting will play in though.
    Saw the trailer before Bohemian Rhap. From what I understand it's based on a true story about some 80 year old drug mule. Shouldn't be a stretch for Eastwood.
    A bad cause requires many words.

  11. #11
    Loser Teacher
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,083

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Saw Fantastic Beasts 2. It was ok. First one was way better. This one for boring at parts. Oh and Johnny Depp is just awful. He needs to just quit. (I will add more later)

    Speaking of awful if I have to see that preview for Bumblebee one more time I might kill someone. It took the worst parts of a Michael Bay film and merged them with every about teenage coming of age melodrama to create that crapfest. Yuck.
    Last edited by Handyman; 11-15-2018 at 10:48 PM.

  12. #12
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,341

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Saw Fantastic Beasts 2. It was ok. First one was way better. This one for boring at parts. Oh and Johnny Depp is just awful. He needs to just quit.

    Speaking of awful if I have to see that preview for Bumblebee one more time I might kill someone. It took the worst parts of a Michael Bay film and merged them with every about teenage coming of age melodrama to create that crapfest. Yuck.
    Wait, as in the Bumblebee of Transformers? If so, my life will be hell until that passes.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  13. #13
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    42,154

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Wait, as in the Bumblebee of Transformers? If so, my life will be hell until that passes.
    yup. as a vw beetle
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  14. #14
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,341

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    yup. as a vw beetle
    I haven't seen the trailer. However, I get so many "Bumblebee" comments b/c of the Camaro.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  15. #15
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    42,154

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I haven't seen the trailer. However, I get so many "Bumblebee" comments b/c of the Camaro.....
    perhaps those days are gone... inshalla
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  16. #16
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    117,341

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    perhaps those days are gone... inshalla
    God, I hope so.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #17
    Loser Teacher
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    40,083

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Alright...now my more in depth reaction to Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Johnny Depp's Acting. I will hide anything spoilery. Note: I am not a Harry Potter fan. I love FB1 but have seen about 20 minutes of all the HP films. My gf is a huge Potter nerd (seen all the movies 200 times, read the books...etc.) and her opinions were almost identical to mine. And before you say anything, she would sooner cut off a finger than agree with me if she has a choice

    First of all the big problem is the story really serves no purpose. It is a long meandering movie that is supposed to be the bridge between FB1 (which I loved) and the climax which will be FB3. (note: supposedly they have signed to do up to FB5...no way this storyline can las that long) It is the Two Towers in this trilogy. That puts it at a disadvantage from the get go. It is going to be a lot of set up and exposition and probably have little pay off since all of the big parts will have to be in part 3. They kind of try and make it more like Empire in that there is a conflict at the end to at least give resolution to part of the story...but it is weak and underdone and in reality didnt really pay it off. Hell the movie is called The Crimes of Grindewald and honestly I am not sure what they are. I mean yeah he takes a families house and kills them but outside of that all he did was escape from prison whilst in transport. And in reality no one even seems to care because 3 months later he is walking around Paris and no one stops him. Hell the Ministries know he is going to have a rally of his followers and they dont do anything to stop it or him outside fighting amongst themselves. They are more proactive trying to stop Newt from travelling than they are about stopping Grindewald...though they say his name in evil ways to try and make you think he is a bad dude!

    As an offshoot of this lack of interesting story the characters almost all are weakened because of it. In fact, outside of Newt and Dumbledore none of the characters really grow in any way, or do anything overtly interesting. Most of them take massive steps back and become boring and uninteresting. Some of them become downright stupid. Queeny went from charming and quirky to annoying and stupid by the end of the film. This ruins the Jacob character who was one of my favorite parts of the first film because he spends half the movie chasing after her upset and pouting. Leta Lestrange was just a waste of a character. To the point that when she dies, something that was built up to as a major plot point, it had no emotional heft or value. It just sort of happens and eh its done. This disappointed my gf quite a bit as was Credence whose story was so mindnumbingly boring and overwrought I really hoped he would die. His plotline was beaten over your head so much you would think it was a Christopher Nolan film The twist on who he really is at the very end was kind of cool, but they spent so much time on the bait and switch it just didnt pay off like it should Every Wizard in the Ministry looks incompetent much on the level of the Jedi in the Prequels. The only characters that move forward at all are Newt, Dumbledore and Grindewald which brings me to the real reason this movie was a downgrade...

    JOHNNY DEPP SUCKS! Whatever this dude had back in the day is completely lost now. His acting in this film is mediocre at best and he honestly he spends most of it mailing it in. He is neither foreboding or devious and even in the moments when he is doing something somewhat evil he comes off as weak and lame. Part of that is on Depp who wasnt even trying, but a lot of that was on the story itself. Grindewald pontificates like a Bond Villain but is about as interesting as King Tut on the old Batman TV Series. The movie sets him up as sort of the Magical World version of Hitler but he has no charisma and he strikes almost no fear. Even when the "heroes" encounter him they dont seem too scared, they are just sort of there and it just sort of happens. Then he gives his Patton/Hitler style speech which is uninspiring as written and flat as acted so the whole climax to the film falls apart. Honestly the only interesting thing about Grindewald at all is his relationship to Dumbledore but even that wasnt developed enough. THAT should have been the crux of the story, instead it was one of like 4 storylines that run concurrently and just get in each others way. Since Depp puts in no effort and the story doesnt build Grindewald at all the main villain is just some well dressed guy with spikey hair and miscolored eye who talks monotone and does very little. When the villain sucks, the movie has major issues. Honestly, I think Colin Farrell would have been a better Grindewald...

    There are parts of the film that are fun. The beasts of course are great when they show up and Newt is still fun as heck. He is just missing Jacob his partner in crime. The set pieces are great as well. The story just was incomplete.
    Last edited by Handyman; 11-16-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  18. #18
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,650

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    yup. as a vw beetle
    That was his design when the TV show premiered back in the 80s. All the vehicles changed greatly between then and the first Michael Bay movie.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  19. #19
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    22,808
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    That was his design when the TV show premiered back in the 80s. All the vehicles changed greatly between then and the first Michael Bay movie.
    That's because GM threw a bunch of money at it.

  20. #20
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,650

    Re: Bohemian Rap City: Movies Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by state of hockey View Post
    That's because GM threw a bunch of money at it.
    Yup, I knew that. Just saying it because mookie looked more confused than his average post lets on.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •