No announcement yet.

Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printz cruises down the slot and deflects the tying goal between the legs of Cooley. Cooley is playing well - but PC has also missed the net quite a bit. Conway in particular had a gaping cage near the end of the second period...

Heikennen quickly puts DU back in front in a delayed penalty.
    Last edited by Dan; 11-23-2018, 10:15 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Printz cruises down the slot and deflects the tying goal between the legs of Cooley. Cooley is playing well - but PC has also missed the net quite a bit. Conway in particular had a gaping cage near the end of the second period...

Heikennen quickly puts DU back in front in a delayed penalty.
      You chaps have a good team, big team, should win HEA, and probably should have won tonight with DU marching to the box. Cooley is the $hi-t, tomorrow should be fun.

r

Comment

Re: Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

Apparently for those on twitter, Divver indicated O'Brien would be back in the lineup....cav please don't beat me up for originally saying it was a surprise

Oh, sounded like he played well but still trying to find the back of the net in the limited games he has played.

Also sounded like Friars missed quite a few open chances besides Conway (still waiting for his scoring touch to show up)

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
          You chaps have a good team, big team, should win HEA, and probably should have won tonight with DU marching to the box. Cooley is the $hi-t, tomorrow should be fun.

r
          Friars played well, but the Denver Goalie was zoned in, I thought the friar defense hung Hwkey out to dry on all 3 goals.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post

r
            I'm not actually a PC fan - I'm from HE country, but I live out here in Denver now. Attending DU games, I keep waiting for Cooley to turn into a pumpkin, but maybe I should give him more credit that I have been. He's certainly playing with a lot of confidence and he's been terrific the last three games against elite competition (118 saves, 5 goals against - four coming in essentially one of the nine periods)...

Still, I give a lot of the credit to DU's defense - which I think is as gifted and mobile as any unit in the country. When Comrie plays, as he did last night, they ice six guys who can skate and move pucks at a very high level and any remotely loose puck turns into a DU break out. The team is so responsible and plays great team D - they really kept PC out of the slot/net front and limited second chances. They've been doing it all year...

Cooley played parts of two seasons in three different junior leagues - mostly as a back-up. In 19 USHL games he posted an .873 SPCT. In 14 turns in the BCHL he stopped pucks at an .887 rate. His best junior stretch came in the NAHL when he posted a .909 SPCT backing up UNH starter Mike Robinson. As you know, Cooley walked on expecting to back up Dayton Rasmussen (arguably the top 2017 goalie recruit) and Filip Larson (the 2018 USHL goalie of the year) - but Rasmussen left school and Larson was injured (though he dressed last night for what I believe is the first time all season?) and the rest is history. Amazing history, in a number of ways. Big time props to Cooley for running with it they way he has (.933 / 2.09)...

I thought PC played a really nice game - and as a follower of HE they certainly appear to be the clear class of the league to me. They controlled play for long stretches and had some real good looks. It seemed it wasn't their night with missed nets, pucks rolling off sticks and some other misfortune around the offensive goal.

They need to do a better job finishing - but also getting pucks to the net front and following rebounds for dirty second chances. But Denver has always done a great job preventing those chances - so easier said than done.

The two teams are very similar - the first half of the game seemed to be a competition in who could out responsible the other (which was interesting, but not all that exciting). The second half opened up a bit. I think the only difference between the two teams is DU has a few more slippery forwards, while PCs best (at least tonight) are more pro-style. O'Brien was great fun to watch - and the most slippery Friarlast night - he's awesome. Dugan wasn't very noticeable last night, which probably changes tonight. As a UNH fan, interesting to see O'Neill in person - I like his game, but he's certainly not what UNH is missing in terms of legitimate big time offense...

DU PK also locked down the PC PP - which will have to be better tonight. Just one goal very late in a PP for the Friars. I hate NCHC officiating, they call EVERYTHING and inject themselves into the games constantly. So many DU games turn into special teams contests - so many ticky-tack calls, especially the call on Pettersen last night. It's gotta be hard for non-conference teams to adjust. Seems frustrating enough for the home team...

Average penalty minutes in a DU game this season - 26. A Providence game - 12. For example...
            Last edited by Dan; 11-24-2018, 10:58 AM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by palmettofriar View Post
              Friars played well, but the Denver Goalie was zoned in, I thought the friar defense hung Hwkey out to dry on all 3 goals.
              Should have won again Saturday, but the friars put on a clinic on how not to play after scoring an important goal, and also how not to play with a lead.

Comment

Originally posted by palmettofriar View Post
                Should have won again Saturday, but the friars put on a clinic on how not to play after scoring an important goal, and also how not to play with a lead.
                You would think a VETERAN laden team would know how to play with a lead. Listening to the two games on the radio made it sound like Spencer Young is the Torey Krug of PC....All offense and can't play a lick of defense.

This team has been a disappointment as this squad should be easily winning Hockey East this year but have had quit a few hiccups early in the year. The PWR isn't looking good either with six hockey east schools at 43 or worse.
                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  I thought PC played a really nice game - and as a follower of HE they certainly appear to be the clear class of the league to me.....
                  Hmmmmm, clear class of the league, despite having lost twice to UMass, who is now 11-1-0 and #3 in the country? PC is excellent, but UMass right now is the "clear class of the league" (their student section notwithstanding...)
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                    Hmmmmm, clear class of the league, despite having lost twice to UMass, who is now 11-1-0 and #3 in the country? PC is excellent, but UMass right now is the "clear class of the league" (their student section notwithstanding...)
                    You are right - I said the two were the class of the league in another post and should have said so here. They are the two best teams without question. UMass is not quite front of the mind after years of irrelevance, but it was an oversight for sure...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

yesterday Northeastern picked up former BC committ T JWalsh. Divver just reported Friars picked up NTDP Forward Patrick Moynihan who Jeff Cox reported Decommitting other day from BC
                      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                        yesterday Northeastern picked up former BC committ T JWalsh. Divver just reported Friars picked up NTDP Forward Patrick Moynihan who Jeff Cox reported Decommitting other day from BC
                        Got to wonder what is going on over on the Heights

Comment

Pathetic effort tonight by the Friars getting outplayed for the final 45 minutes by one of the worst teams in the nation.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                            Pathetic effort tonight by the Friars getting outplayed for the final 45 minutes by one of the worst teams in the nation.
                            Must disagree, effort was not pathetic. UNH is a good hockey team despite its lack of W's at this point, friars played well but certainly did not finish and were sloppy on their scoring chances. Kudos to a determined UNH squad for shutting down shooting lanes and blocking shots.
                            Tonigt's game on the big ice sheet should be a good one.

Comment

First time seeing them in person this year, having followed them on tv and streaming. I'm not a troll, but i have to agree with Zlax on his assessment. PC was terrible. Gave up ANOTHER short-handed goal, continuously hesitated to shoot giving UNH time to fill the lanes to block the shot (how about taking the occasional one-timer), really sloppy passing leading to constant turnovers. Don't be fooled by the advantage in shots on goal, as they generated few real scoring chances. In fact, Providence was fortunate to get the tie, because on at least 2 occasions, the puck got behind Hawkey and nearly crossed the line. So far this year, this team defines the term OVERRATED. Pre-season 4th in the country? Hah. Current No. 10? Not even close at this point. I wonder if the loss of some top level assistants has affected the team.

Comment

Wilkins out of the lineup again. Injured? Sick? Took me midway through the game last night to realize he's missing. McDermott getting into the lineup is usually a sign someone else is out.

Comment

Working...
                                X