Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

PC has played five of their best periods on the year in the last two games. They were the better team on Sunday and need to keep rolling.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
      PC has played five of their best periods on the year in the last two games. They were the better team on Sunday and need to keep rolling.
      Fnally, this guy is making sense.
      Leaman is not a bad coach.

Comment

Watched every minute of that game, and Leaman had it figured-out, unlike Madigan, who apparently didn't see one second of tape vis-a-vis the Cornell Neanderthal approach.

A nearly perfect game by PC. Happy to see them advance.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
          I think hell hath frozen over...

On to Buffalo!

Comment

They had to beat two great teams to get to Buffalo. The next team is ridiculous.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
            -Blackadder
            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
            -Casablanca
            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Hayden remains a weak spot, in my opinion, but if he's on top of his game (with the help of D-men - by merely not turning the puck over in their zone) PC becomes a dangerous team. "Why not us" in Buffalo?

Comment

Good luck! Duluth is a wagon, so I’m sure it’ll be a very tough game, but I think PC can hang with them. It’s been a fun year for the local college teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bruin View Post
                  Hayden remains a weak spot, in my opinion, but if he's on top of his game (with the help of D-men - by merely not turning the puck over in their zone) PC becomes a dangerous team. "Why not us" in Buffalo?
                  How so? The kid is the all-time wins leader at PC, shutout holder, leads the country in shutouts and the reason PC wasn’t down 5-1 or 6-1 to Minnesota State due to terrible defense.

I really like to know why everyone blames the goalie when the defense is terrible in front of him? Every goal he gave up this weekend were defensive problems that no goalie stops. Yes, there are times it is the goalie’s fault but stop giving up a+ scoring chances constantly.
                  Last edited by The Zlax45; 04-01-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    How so? The kid is the all-time wins leader at PC, shutout holder, leads the country in shutouts and the reason PC was down 5-1 or 6-1 to Minnesota State due to terrible defense.

I really like to know why everyone blames the goalie when the defense is terrible in front of him? Every goal he gave up this weekend were defensive problems that no goalie stops. Yes, there are times it is the goalie’s fault but stop giving up a+ scoring chances constantly.
                    Who stole your account. You have made sense this weekend.
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                      Who stole your account. You have made sense this weekend.
                      I just expect better during losses and even wins. I expect perfection too much and the last five periods have been the best they have played.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                        Good luck! Duluth is a wagon, so I’m sure it’ll be a very tough game, but I think PC can hang with them. It’s been a fun year for the local college teams.
                        The last time PC met UMD, it went to 2 OT's with a typical Duluth ending. Scary team.

I see PC's Twitter account finally tired of the entire population of Mankato assuming that the Dunk is home ice.
                        I almost wish the bracket was flipped to Manchester because social media has been garbage since Saturday.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                        -Blackadder
                        -Casablanca
                        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          How so? The kid is the all-time wins leader at PC, shutout holder, leads the country in shutouts and the reason PC wasn’t down 5-1 or 6-1 to Minnesota State due to terrible defense.

Couple of points here:

1. I always have this disclaimer in my head (if not spoken out loud) - that these are student athletes, still young people (almost kids), that they are there because someone recruited them, etc. Therefore, I hate criticizing and singling out any player (unless it's something other than his performance). The same goes here. I think Hayden is a good kid, and I wish him well the rest of the season, and then onwards wherever his career takes him.
                          2. If you are going to blame the defense for the goals that he concedes (and in my original post I said he needs help from the D-men, who need to stop turning the puck over in zone), then you cannot give the whole credit to him for his record(s). I think he was inconsistent this season. As noted in the discussion early in the season, he was on a level or two below last year's performance. On Saturday, I'd say he should have stopped the first goal and definitely the third one (yes, it came as a result of the d-zone turnover, but that was a very weak, back hand shot that barely left the ice, if at all).

The consistency is the key here. Which Hayden is going to show up against Duluth? I hope the "good one".

Comment

Originally posted by Bruin View Post

The consistency is the key here. Which Hayden is going to show up against Duluth? I hope the "good one".
                            The good offense that saved Hawkey's bacon against MSU and buried Cornell needs to show up and not the one that disappeared in the last game against BC.
                            Also, we have a power play now? Groovy.

-Blackadder
                            -Casablanca
                            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              The last time PC met UMD, it went to 2 OT's with a typical Duluth ending. Scary team.
                              All in all, even taking into account the preseason poll, PC is somewhat of a dark horse here. I think Duluth should be more concerned about PC than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruin View Post
                                All in all, even taking into account the preseason poll, PC is somewhat of a dark horse here. I think Duluth should be more concerned about PC than the other way around.
                                Statistically I feel like PC matches up well with them. In many ways they were close. For some reason I thought UMD had more bigger players than just Tufte (and one other I believe listed 6'4 or taller). Also, a thought from the weekend games and the success on the power play: they seem to benefit having larger ice space to work with at the Dunk than at Schneider and I think it allowed for wider passes and just more open space to cycle around. They did many things very well compared to the frustration of some things during the regular season. Just a lot more of the simple stuff, not getting too fancy with the puck too often, and I had to cringe every time Cornell ran the drop-back pass that didn't seem to benefit PC during the regular season when they did that.

Comment

Working...
                                X