Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gophers vs Badgers Nov. 9-10: Yeah, we still hate each other...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gophers vs Badgers Nov. 9-10: Yeah, we still hate each other...

Last season's Gopher sweep at the Kohl was the beginning of a season ending 6 game BADger losing streak. Can we do another "losing streak" kickoff at the Kohl tonight? I think we can, can, yes we can, can. Kickoff is at 7pm. NOTE: Inamoto deserves another *** kickin'.

EDIT:

2018-19 Tony Granato 4 5 0 .444
    2017-18 Tony Granato 14 19 4 .432
    2016-17 Tony Granato 20 15 1 .569
    2015-16 Mike Eaves 8 19 8 .343
    2014-15 Mike Eaves 4 26 5 .186

Alvy cares only about football and has been letting the UW hockey program crash and burn for years. This is not good for B1G hockey. Granato's days are obviously numbered. It's too bad that Alvy, the oldest and highest paid athletic director in the B1G, has a contract extension until he’s 74 in 2021. There lies your problem BADger jugheads.
    Last edited by SteveO; 11-10-2018, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I love that they called some interference penalties. Those uncalled interference plays kill the speed and flow of the game.

UW coaches need to take notes on how to kill a penalty from the rodent film. It's not rocket science or the rodents couldn't pull it off, but it's not as hard as UW makes it look. The UW box collapses like a wet grocery bag.

Attendance was pathetic for the top series of the year, though there was a VB game at the same time, though that didn't cost them 6000 attendees.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
        Not much to say. The Badgers gift wrapped it nicely for the gophers by pushing the player into their own goalie, getting a penalty on top of the goal, and allowing two goals that should’ve been saved.
        Still not sure what I think of the rule that requires a team to serve a penalty even if other team scores. I liked the outcome last night. And In last night's game, the Gophs didn't get a sixth skater on the ice to make a difference. But it still feels strange to me when a team does get a sixth skater out and they score because of the mismatch, that they also get the powerplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I love that they called some interference penalties. Those uncalled interference plays kill the speed and flow of the game.

UW coaches need to take notes on how to kill a penalty from the rodent film. It's not rocket science or the rodents couldn't pull it off, but it's not as hard as UW makes it look. The UW box collapses like a wet grocery bag.

Attendance was pathetic for the top series of the year, though there was a VB game at the same time, though that didn't cost them 6000 attendees.
          First, they were trying so hard to call interference, they called the one where Dooooogie jumped on the head of the defender while he was gliding backwards.

Second, I think the days of packed houses for every game are gone. I just don't see it changing with the way the trend is going. I just hope it plateaus at some point instead of continually declines.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
            Still not sure what I think of the rule that requires a team to serve a penalty even if other team scores. I liked the outcome last night. And In last night's game, the Gophs didn't get a sixth skater on the ice to make a difference. But it still feels strange to me when a team does get a sixth skater out and they score because of the mismatch, that they also get the powerplay.
            I hate the rule because if you're going to take a penalty to prevent a goal, you're gonna murder the guy to make sure that goal isn't scored (at least potentially). I think it actually encourages a more severe physical action, which could lead to injury. That's not the intent of the rule of course, which is to not take the penalty in the first place, however....
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
              Not much to say. The Badgers gift wrapped it nicely for the gophers by pushing the player into their own goalie, getting a penalty on top of the goal, and allowing two goals that should’ve been saved.
              I'm not sure about the 2 goals that should have been saved, meaning the 2nd and 3rd? What's your take on why they should have been stopped?
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                I didn’t have a problem with the Zuhlsdorf interference call, the puck was past and he kept engaging for a good second or two after, easy call and as long as it’s called consistently I’m fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  If you cheated and still get scored on I don’t see the point in rewarding you with nullifying a penalty.

That and more PP’s should theoretically increase scoring which is what most people want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                    Last season's Gopher sweep at the Kohl was the beginning of a season ending 6 game BADger losing streak. Can we do another "losing streak" kickoff at the Kohl tonight? I think we can, can, yes we can, can. Kickoff is at 7pm. NOTE: Inamoto deserves another *** kickin'.

EDIT:

2018-19 Tony Granato 4 5 0 .444
                    2017-18 Tony Granato 14 19 4 .432
                    2016-17 Tony Granato 20 15 1 .569
                    2015-16 Mike Eaves 8 19 8 .343
                    2014-15 Mike Eaves 4 26 5 .186

Alvy cares only about football and has been letting the UW hockey program crash and burn for years. This is not good for B1G hockey. Granato's days are obviously numbered. It's too bad that Alvy, the oldest and highest paid athletic director in the B1G, has a contract extension until he’s 74 in 2021. There lies your problem BADger jugheads.
                    Why are Granato’s days numbered?

He’s essentially got 2 classes in. One 20 win season and one sub .500 season. They’re not even 1/3 into the season yet.

They have 2 top 10 nhl draft picks coming in to light it up and from the early returns the frosh and sophs are good.

I’m not happy at the moment but expect ncaa’s this season. Nothing less will do.
                    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      Why are Granato’s days numbered?

He’s essentially got 2 classes in. One 20 win season and one sub .500 season. They’re not even 1/3 into the season yet.

They have 2 top 10 nhl draft picks coming in to light it up and from the early returns the frosh and sophs are good.

I’m not happy at the moment but expect ncaa’s this season. Nothing less will do.
                      We will see about top 10 picks. Definitely 1st rounders though. Turcotte probably in the 5-10 range. Caufield probably in the 10-25 range.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                        I didn’t have a problem with the Zuhlsdorf interference call, the puck was past and he kept engaging for a good second or two after, easy call and as long as it’s called consistently I’m fine with it.
                        What? That was the worst call of the game. Even the Scoonie announcers said they 'can see why he had an objection to that call.' Dhooghie played the puck past him and Zuhlsdorf kept skating backwards. Dooghie had a path around him on either side, and instead chose to jump up forward and come down on Zuhlsdorf's head. What is a D supposed to do, step out of the way of every opposing player? Go back and watch again. If that is interference, there should be 15 interference calls per game.

Comment

Well yeah, interference should be called far more often and isn’t. And then people wonder why scoring is down across every level of the sport since 2006 when refs decided to actually enforce the rules again.

Maybe in 1995 that’d be a bad call but if they want to enforce the actual rules of the game that’s clearly intetference. Zuhlsdorf engages the player after the puck is well past and then Dhoogie jumped to sell the call, which doesn’t negate the infraction.

Obviously refs are horribly inconsistent about calling it but that’s a separate issue.

Comment

I'm not complaining because on balance officiating was fine, but that was a horrible call on Zuhlsdorf.
                            I'm all in favor of the rules on interference in regards to "dump and chase tactics," but his only "engagement" was a slight shoulder drop immediately following the release of the puck. His skates were on rails and never moved sideways.
                            I think you need to watch it again Trix.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                              I'm not complaining because on balance officiating was fine, but that was a horrible call on Zuhlsdorf.
                              I'm all in favor of the rules on interference in regards to "dump and chase tactics," but his only "engagement" was a slight shoulder drop immediately following the release of the puck. His skates were on rails and never moved sideways.
                              I think you need to watch it again Trix.
                              Yeah, I think Trix missed my point that it was a horrible call, not that it should always be called but isn't. I saw a few worse ones yesterday, that weren't called (and I don't think most should have been). If Zuhlsdorf's is called every time, all a forward would have to do is play the puck a little past a defender and the defender would have to step out of the way and let him pass for a free lane to the net. Even on some calls where the defender engages after a forward dumps it past him I am uncomfortable with when the defender was clearly lining up the hit while the forward still had the puck on his stick. You've got a defender skating backwards slower than the forward, in order to close the gap. If the forward tries to carry the puck around the defender, the correct reaction of the D is to check the forward. In this position, if the forward dumps the puck at the last second around the D, you can't require the D, who is skating backwards slower than the forward, to completely avoid the forward when the forward skates straight towards the D. And there should be some leeway with a hit that starts while the forward still has the puck (contact is after puck leaves his stick, but checking motion starts sooner). And I am all for most penalties against impeding players to keep the game open. Since the NHL became tougher on interference, hooking, and the clutch and grab stuff that used to dominate I enjoy watching games. It is clearly a more open, free skating game with more emphasis on speed rather than size. But you can't call a penalty on a D for skating backwards when a forward skates into, instead of around him, then jump on the D's head.

Comment

I saw one play yesterday where we tried to dump it past #2 and he pivoted towards the puck and played the puck, which is what should happen. If you're a Dman and someone dumps it past you and you initiate contact to slow the guy up though that's interference, the rule is pretty simple.

And you can see that Zuhlsdorf engages the guy for like 2 seconds well after the puck is past him, at which point Dhoogie jumps and tries to sell the call which worked. Yes he did jump but Zuhlsdorf also didn't make any attempt to play the puck and I felt like it was an obvious call at the time. You can even see he never makes an attempt to pivot toward the puck and is looking straight at the guy who dumped it past him, at which point he's making contact with a guy who is nowhere near the puck. In real time it looked pretty obvious and I watched it again and it also seemed obvious so :shrug:. The defender doesn't have to step out of the way there but they do need to be able to have good gap control and actually change direction toward the puck rather than just playing the body while the puck is ten feet away.

Comment

Working...
                                X