Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Midterms 2: I Need A Drink!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    The noise I am hearing is a lot of the bernie/warren type candidates didn't get over the finish line and a lot of the suburban winners are more center/left then progressive. Add that with no wave and a stock market that has increased 28% since Trump took office and I'm not sure what agenda the Democrats will put forward and I'm afraid a lot of people on the left may end up disappointed again.

And rinse and repeat.
    Scoobs, once again, you're an idiot! Did the 2006 House takeover for the Dems lead to a Republican President? I sure do miss President McCain and VP Palin myself. If you want to read tea leaves, I'd say Dem dominance up and down the ballot in WI, MI and PA are the most positive sign. Chump isn't President without those 3 states, unless your longstanding prediction of Minnesota turning red comes true.

Regarding progressives not winning I couldn't tell you although I suspect you're pointing to the close loss in Florida as well as Texas. Florida is the biggest disappointment of the night no doubt in terms of an unexpected outcome. Its unclear if a different candidate would have done better but I have to think Gillum's loss is more based on 1) that lingering FBI investigation and last minute revelations that came out about free tickets and all that, and 2) a completely inept state party apparatus that possibly could have found the extra 50K or so votes they needed if they were remotely competent. The DNC's first order of business needs to be fixing both the FL and OH operations because they've been in the toilet for the last 25 years.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      I think if the Republicans are looking for a bright spot in this election, and it's certainly hard to find one from their prospective, it's this. A lot of the House wins came in suburban districts where the Democratic candidate beat out a fairly moderate Republican candidate in an area that is politically purple at best. Many of those races were pretty tight. Once the Republicans can rid themselves of Trump and the toxic reaction he creates for many suburbanites, the Republicans have at least some chance to try to win some of those seats back.
      Maybe true...but the problem is they arent going to rid themselves of Trump and his toxins because the Rs that survived are mostly Trump-esque crazies. The winning strategy for the Right changed from "Start Right, Pivot Center" to "Start Right, Go Farther". It is going to take many elections to go back from that. 2020 for sure no moderate will have a shot and my guess is that no matter the outcome of 2020 the Right will be running hardliners on top of the ticket for quite some time.

You may not like to hear this, but what you see now is going to be the Republican Party, win or lose, for at least a decade.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        So you and Joe have still never answered my question. If you were Harry Reid and facing total obstruction, what would you have done differently?
        Still waiting, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          Maybe true...but the problem is they arent going to rid themselves of Trump and his toxins because the Rs that survived are mostly Trump-esque crazies. The winning strategy for the Right changed from "Start Right, Pivot Center" to "Start Right, Go Farther". It is going to take many elections to go back from that. 2020 for sure no moderate will have a shot and my guess is that no matter the outcome of 2020 the Right will be running hardliners on top of the ticket for quite some time.

You may not like to hear this, but what you see now is going to be the Republican Party, win or lose, for at least a decade.
          Longer than that I suspect. Gooper Presidents, like Gooper officeholders, are getting more and more racist, nationalistic, and authoritarian. They aren't going to change their ways for a generation. Whoever comes after Trump is going to be even worse, much like Bush II was worse than Bush I and Trump was worse than Bush II.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Tuck probably has cameras everywhere, and will relish this. Not a smart move if they actually set foot on the property.
            If he didn't he should've; and he will now.

And trespass is never smart.
            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              2) a completely inept state party apparatus that possibly could have found the extra 50K or so votes they needed if they were remotely competent. The DNC's first order of business needs to be fixing both the FL and OH operations because they've been in the toilet for the last 25 years.
              Yeah this is what I've been hearing as well.

Comment

If you want to read tea leaves, I'd say Dem dominance up and down the ballot in WI, MI and PA are the most positive sign. Chump isn't President without those 3 states, ...
                That is truth and the positive for the Ds and should scare the buhjeepers out of Trump.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  Still waiting, btw.
                  Leave the benches open; clog the courts further; let Mitch eat the backlash from the litigants who are going unheard.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Longer than that I suspect. Gooper Presidents, like Gooper officeholders, are getting more and more racist, nationalistic, and authoritarian. They aren't going to change their ways for a generation. Whoever comes after Trump is going to be even worse, much like Bush II was worse than Bush I and Trump was worse than Bush II.
                    Yeah, but a politician can run on issues like immigration concerns and not do it in such a way that it's going to turn off a big chunk of suburban America. There are people who have legitimate concerns about the influx of immigrants. I'm not one of them, as I've repeatedly stated here, but those concerns exist even when people are literally a thousand miles from the border. If you are in Arizona or New Mexico you can make the argument on safety. If you are in Ohio you can make it on jobs.

But you can't do it as you call them racist names, lock up their two year olds in a cell alone, etc...
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                      Leave the benches open; clog the courts further; let Mitch eat the backlash from the litigants who are going unheard.
                      Because that worked so well when he held up Garland for a year...

Comment

As I said the other day for as bad as the Senate turned out for the Dems everything else went sideways for them. The House Dems can now push the crazies to the side, the suburbs fled Trump like he was a drunk who shat his pants and his 3 State flip seems to have flipped back. Plus the Dems are on the right side of the one issue that even people in Red States voted for...Health Care. They cant run on the Boogeyman of ObamaCare anymore because Repeal and Replace was pimpslapped by the electorate.

Now the Dems need to hammer him and his moron party over it til 2020. They need to not take the bait on the little things he will try to distract them over (see: Jim Acosta) and just fix what needs to be fixed and investigate what needs to be investigated. Dont make the investigation your first thing because then you look petty...but as you work on "fixing" ObamaCare keep on calling witnesses and sending out subpoenas.

And Minnesota is not going Red.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          Because that worked so well when he held up Garland for a year...
                          I do believe Sen Reid went 'nuclear' (2013) long before Judge Garland (2016).

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Yeah, but a politician can run on issues like immigration concerns and not do it in such a way that it's going to turn off a big chunk of suburban America. There are people who have legitimate concerns about the influx of immigrants. I'm not one of them, as I've repeatedly stated here, but those concerns exist even when people are literally a thousand miles from the border. If you are in Arizona or New Mexico you can make the argument on safety. If you are in Ohio you can make it on jobs.

But you can't do it as you call them racist names, lock up their two year olds in a cell alone, etc...
                            Depends on the race and the state.

Mind you I hope you are right...but it takes a long time to shift away from that stuff because there is still a lot of money to be made ginning up hatred of the Brownies.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                              I do believe Sen Reid went 'nuclear' (2013) long before Judge Garland (2016).
                              I do believe you arent actually reading what uno is saying. Go back and read it all again you will get the point he is trying to make.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                That is truth and the positive for the Ds and should scare the buhjeepers out of Trump.
                                It also means I'm gonna hate 2020 when a billion dollars of political advertising pours into those states.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X