Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMass is NewMass

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    They were ranked that high in 07-08? I remember being in Grand Rapids for the 2007 NCAA regional when BU was playing that year and following UMass' game. Was 07-08 also a year you made the tourney?
    They made the NCAAs in '07 (not '08), losing in the Regional Final. This should be the first year since then that they make it.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by jjmc85 View Post
      Eh... message boards are kind of dying and UMass fans were ahead of the curve leaving here. For a while we went to UMasshoops but even that board is dying down too. After UMasshoops we went to the comment section of Fear the Triangle blog but that’s dormant as well. Now we just go to twitter.

Before social media became big, it used to be that the USCHO threads were must read for a college hockey fan. There were threads for every game and lots of posts and good information. Now for the most part, everyone’s on twitter, including posters from here who are fans of other teams. Why come here when I can instead go to twitter and interact with not only other fans, but also members of the media, Coaches, Athletic Directors, and official team accounts all while also checking out what’s happening with other things I’m interested in.

I lurk here every once in a while, but I never learn anything new anymore. It’s all on twitter already.

Also, if you want some random UMass fan’s perspective on the team here’s my best go at it.
      1) The team is overachieving to the point where I have legitimate expectations for the first time since 07-08 when they were ranked number 5.
      2) Never in my wildest dreams did I think UMass would be in first place of the conference halfway through February. That’s insane.
      3) If they don’t win the conference regular season title, I’m gonna blame the following:

A) not sweeping NU when our best player had a breakaway with 30 seconds left in a tie game (This isn’t a knock on Makar. He’s been great. And he was slashed. He’s been great and the biggest reason for the turnaround. Just would have been huge to have that).
      B) Coming our flat in Orono and losing the second game.
      C) The second UML game. I went. That’s the most electric an atmosphere I remember for a road game ever. Better that NU ever has been, and they’re usually good. You could tell before the opening faceoff how bad the Lowell fans wanted that game, and rightly so. It was huge. You could tell from the opening faceoff how bad the UML players wanted that game. And UMass didn’t show up. That game was over in the first period when UMass took a penalty when on the powerplay and Lowell scored on the ensuing 4 on 4.

4) I hope PC bails us out this weekend and sweeps UML. PC has actually done a pretty good job so far IMO of losing games when UMass would want them too while winning others UMass would want them to. Hopefully that continues. If they can’t at least take points from the Riverhawks, the regular season trophy is probably going to Lowell.

These are a subset of things I’ve expressed from my twitter account this year.

Also, in the time I took to type this, I was apparently logged out and had to log back in. Doesn’t happen on social media
      Ah, but you couldn't have made the above comments in 140 characters...
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-14-2019, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        They were ranked that high in 07-08? I remember being in Grand Rapids for the 2007 NCAA regional when BU was playing that year and following UMass' game. Was 07-08 also a year you made the tourney?
        Yes, they were ranked #5 in the country in 07-08 after beating Notre Dame on 12/29 and Colorado College on 12/30 to win the Lightning Classic Championship in Tampa, FL. This was the highest ranking in program history prior to this season. However, they failed to qualify for the tournament that year because after winning the Lightning Classic Championship, they limped through the rest of the regular season going 5-11-1 the rest of the way and then got swept by UNH in the quarterfinals.

There were a few other seasons after this one where they would get off to a good start and then fade down the stretch. I think that is why a lot of us UMass fans who have been following the program for a long time may be following this season with “guarded optimism” if you will. UMass has had an unbelievable start to the season. No question about it. They have started way better than any of us could have expected or even hoped for. I think we all realize, however, that how they finish is going to end up being more important than how they started.

Comment

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks.

I'm pulling for you guys!!

Comment

Anybody know when the last time UMass swept BC and BU in the same season? I'm guessing never.

Comment

Originally posted by msprice View Post
              Anybody know when the last time UMass swept BC and BU in the same season? I'm guessing never.
              First time in the Hockey East era either has happened.
              #NewMass

Comment

First time in the Hockey East era either has happened.
                Not surprised to read that, but the new "big four" is UMA, PC, NU and UML. A complete flip-flop from the old order, but I'm fine with it at this point...

Now, one of those teams win it all, please. I'm a bit partial to UML (my nephews are grads) but I'd honestly be delighted to see UMass take it home, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  but the new "big four" is UMA, PC, NU and UML. A complete flip-flop from the old order,.
                  let's not start suxin' each others lollipops just yet
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                    Not surprised to read that, but the new "big four" is UMA, PC, NU and UML. A complete flip-flop from the old order, but I'm fine with it at this point...

Now, one of those teams win it all, please. I'm a bit partial to UML (my nephews are grads) but I'd honestly be delighted to see UMass take it home, too.
                    Three of those four have at this point earned that respect. One season isn’t enough to include UMass just yet IMO. New Big 3? Or maybe include BC still? Aren’t they’re looking for their fourth consecutive RS title?
                    #NewMass

Comment

• Re: UMass is NewMass

Three of those four have at this point earned that respect. One season isn’t enough to include UMass just yet IMO. New Big 3? Or maybe include BC still? Aren’t they’re looking for their fourth consecutive RS title?
                      last decade: --tournament champs
                      bc-3, bu-3, umlol-3, nu-1

last four years -tournament champs
                      bu-2, nu-1, umlol-1

last decade: reg season champs
                      bc-6 (2 tied), bu-3 (1 tied), umlol-2 (one tied), uhn-1, pc-1 (which was tied)

last four years: reg season champs
                      bc-3 (two tied), bu-2 (one tied), umlol-1 (it was tied), pc-1 (it was tied)

hmmmmm
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

What the heck!!??

UMass senior defenseman leaves the team to sign an ECHL deal. Played 25 of 29 games this year. 1-2--3 with a +4 ... former 7th round NHL Draft pick.

What's the story here? 'cause if there's not a story, what a ******.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          What the heck!!??

UMass senior defenseman leaves the team to sign an ECHL deal. Played 25 of 29 games this year. 1-2--3 with a +4 ... former 7th round NHL Draft pick.

Is it possible it has something to do with a Sabre’s owning rights. Sign now become F/A sooner? Is weird
                          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                            What the heck!!??

barring circumstance we dont know about, sounds like hockey advisor gettimg in kid's ear with some wrong - well, flat out bad advice.
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I’m pretty surprised by this. This season, he was the seventh defenseman most nights. Maybe he got sick of that?
                              #NewMass

Comment

I’m pretty surprised by this. This season, he was the seventh defenseman most nights. Maybe he got sick of that?
                                Welcome to our world. As you continue up the ladder towards prominence, you will experience this scenario more frequently. And you will also understand how frustrating it is for fans who are simply looking for continuity and stability.

Comment

Working...
                                X