Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: UMass is NewMass

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Maybe like the PC fans in Boston when they won the title. The # of Friar fans seeing a hockey puck for the first time was amazing!
    What is this ďpuckĒ you speak of?!?!

Re: UMass is NewMass

I think itís a sarcastic reference to how they all come out of the woodwork for big games.

Go 'cats!

Do NOT cheer when UMass shoots the puck from near their goalie all the way to the other team's goalie. That is called icing. It looks like an accomplishment to shoot the puck that far, but it actually works against your team.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Another brick in the wall

95% of UMass fans have ventured away from message boards in general and tend to hang-out on Twitter.

As a former regular on this board turned mostly lurker following this team via Internet feeds from 400 miles away has been a treat this Winter. As I've told many people the previous administrations and athletic directors almost treated the hockey team as a lark or a nice placeholder for extra events at Mullins Center while giving 90% of their attention to men's basketball or football. AD Ryan Bamford turned that thinking on its head and obviously hit a monster HR with his hiring of Coach Carvel as well as improved off-ice support and facilities for the hockey team.

On the ice what has impressed me about these UMass teams is the overall team speed and aggressiveness which reminds me of the programs which I envied back in the late 90's as one of the 1,500 triangle-shirts that regularly filled Mullins Center for hockey games. Everybody knows that Makar is a stud but this team is truly 4-lines deep. Even last week the Harvard game became a neutral-zone clutch & grab fest so UMass's 3rd and 4th lines step-up and pot the goals. The Notre Dame game UMass comes out flying and physical and takes ND's game right back at them with all 4 lines rolling. The key to UMass is getting that first goal and breaking the ice (even if they fall behind by 1).

Life has changed my personal fandom dynamic as I now have an almost 3-year old and a 3-month old as well as working 2 jobs so no free time to banter with many olde friends here on the boards. It was funny last weekend when the 3-year old saw me watching the highlights of the UMass-ND game and said, "Daaaaaaaaahd, are you watchin' hockey ahhhhhgainnnnnnnn???" I won't be in Buffalo this weekend but I am hoping that next year I can take her and her little sister up to Amherst for their first hockey game.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    95% of UMass fans have ventured away from message boards in general and tend to hang-out on Twitter.

As a former regular on this board turned mostly lurker following this team via Internet feeds from 400 miles away has been a treat this Winter. As I've told many people the previous administrations and athletic directors almost treated the hockey team as a lark or a nice placeholder for extra events at Mullins Center while giving 90% of their attention to men's basketball or football. AD Ryan Bamford turned that thinking on its head and obviously hit a monster HR with his hiring of Coach Carvel as well as improved off-ice support and facilities for the hockey team.

On the ice what has impressed me about these UMass teams is the overall team speed and aggressiveness which reminds me of the programs which I envied back in the late 90's as one of the 1,500 triangle-shirts that regularly filled Mullins Center for hockey games. Everybody knows that Makar is a stud but this team is truly 4-lines deep. Even last week the Harvard game became a neutral-zone clutch & grab fest so UMass's 3rd and 4th lines step-up and pot the goals. The Notre Dame game UMass comes out flying and physical and takes ND's game right back at them with all 4 lines rolling. The key to UMass is getting that first goal and breaking the ice (even if they fall behind by 1).

Life has changed my personal fandom dynamic as I now have an almost 3-year old and a 3-month old as well as working 2 jobs so no free time to banter with many olde friends here on the boards. It was funny last weekend when the 3-year old saw me watching the highlights of the UMass-ND game and said, "Daaaaaaaaahd, are you watchin' hockey ahhhhhgainnnnnnnn???" I won't be in Buffalo this weekend but I am hoping that next year I can take her and her little sister up to Amherst for their first hockey game.
    UMass is clearly the most fun team to watch among the FF. Hockey in general would be a more popular sport if their style was the norm.

(And UMass is my bracket-winner, so what's not to like?)

Friar Fever.... be a believer!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Go to Buffalo and win 2 games. Please. The other regions all had the team I least wanted to see advance win 2 games. Denver doesn't need another title. Duluth is too full of NCHC arrogance. PC does not need to win another title after backing into the tournament and being placed in their home city for no reason other than NCAA $$$.
    Bro, you mad? 😝😝😝

Friar Fever.... be a believer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    We'll watch on ESPN2, or wherever it is. Much more convenient.

I'll be happy to see either UMass or PC win it all, but I'm leaning towards UMass.

Best team in the mix, IMO.
    Best of luck to UMass!!! I know a number of you have been waiting for this weekend for years!!! Wishing you all the best! Go HE!!!

Go Minutemen!

Bam! Nice win! Should be a great National championship!

College Hockey Advocate

Pinch me

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    Pinch me
    Lol. Iím not pinching you. Go win for hockey eastís sake!

Black Bear since D-2

Really tough to watch for a while there, but UMass lived up to its billing.

If the MM can avoid another slew of dumb penalties, a trophy is within reach.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-12-2019 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Really tough to watch for a while there, but UMass lived up to its billing.
    Dude, thatís what makes it so fun to watch! That was a f of a game! Loved every moment of it!

HOLY ****!!!!! Now please just stop hitting people in the head...

Quote Originally Posted by jjmc85 View Post
    HOLY ****!!!!! Now please just stop hitting people in the head...
    Already.... letís get the boys to rest. Big shift.

Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH

Shot heard Ďround the world! Congrats and good luck in the NC!!

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Shot heard Ďround the world! Congrats and good luck in the NC!!
    Phew, yeah. The mass fans were getting quiet in the 3rd. Thought denver would pull it out as they took over the 2nd and 3rd.
    Fill up the rink saturday umass!!

Umass could and should have had 3 game misconducts. Officials missed the last one and didn't review it. I don't understand why? I am rooting for UMass, but a team can't play like that and expect to win most games. I don't recall them being an undisciplined team during the regular season.

According to CHN, "I asked them to take a look at it," Carle said. "I was asked if I wanted to use my challenge and I chose not to." I wonder if the NCAA will review the play and impose sanctions on Trevigno?

Quote Originally Posted by Runsub5 View Post
    According to CHN, "I asked them to take a look at it," Carle said. "I was asked if I wanted to use my challenge and I chose not to." I wonder if the NCAA will review the play and impose sanctions on Trevigno?
    Wow, that was a mistake not using the challenge. That was a pretty obvious head shot. Hard to believe the officials missed that one.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...jor-Factor.php

Thread Information