X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    I love "laugh and you're going to hell" jokes. I laugh. A lot.
    Ditto. The other day, someone handed me a handbasket and said, "Have a nice trip." Not sure what they meant by that; I don't have any PTO coming up....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      Yes, indeed. If one tells a joke like that...it has to make the audience laugh their butt off AND cringe. Not just the latter. The guilty "ohhhhhhh, dammmmmmm" sorta reaction.
      I think the power of the Awful Joke is the agreement among everyone who gets it that people who actually think that way are monsters. It's an acknowledgement that there really are terrible people in this world, and we're all in the fight against them together. It's like the gallows humor of barracks and fox holes. It's where people come face to face with the fact that the moral standards we have are never going to save a kid or stop a hate crime, that is completely up to us. It's what Sartre was saying in Existenialism is a Humanism: there is no good but what we will into the world so we had better not blanche at the hell and the pain of this world, we had better understand it, and above all we had better not sit back on our haunches and wait for authority or law or god to protect us from evil, because it's just you and me, friend. Now drink your shot and let's go over the top.

There are very few moments of authentic being. Laughter is the last thing untouched by hypocrisy.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        The problem is snowflakes don't find things funny when it is something they care about. (On both sides).

You might not think the joke is funny but there is nothing wrong with the content. George Carlin said way worse...

If CK hadnt torpedoed his career by being a disgusting creep 3/4 of the people offended by this home wouldn't even care.
        Truth, but I'm still going to call you out for "bothsides-ing" the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
          I thought people from the holocaust were snowflakes
          When I was young and dumb, I used to get a kick out of this "edgy" joke. Given the current state of events, I no longer do.

How many Jews can you fit in a Volkswagen Beetle?

54. Two in the front, two in the back, and 50 in the ashtray.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            When I was young and dumb, I used to get a kick out of this "edgy" joke. Given the current state of events, I no longer do.

We used to to tell that one all the time. A staple when Jews get together!
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              We used to to tell that one all the time. A staple when Jews get together!
              Probably like the n-word. OK to tell amongst other Jews. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

That was also a recycled joke for the Challenger explosion.

You do have to know your audience, too. IIRC, David Cross called some people out who walked out of one of his shows...

"Did you NOT know what my humor was about? I'm on youtube, you can see clips of me everywhere on the internet...and yet you're surprised at the lines I cross? Do your research!" (paraphrased)

I never expected family-friendly humor from Sam Kinison, for example.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
                  I thought people from the holocaust were snowflakes
                  I'll freely admit that I chuckled when I read this.
                  "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                  Groucho Marx
                  "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                  Ron White
                  "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                  Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I think the power of the Awful Joke is the agreement among everyone who gets it that people who actually think that way are monsters.
                    Sadly, this is shortsighted. Fox wouldn't be using hate humor to create extremist junkies if it wasn't very effective.
                    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Probably like the n-word. OK to tell amongst other Jews. *shrug*
                      Nah...that is how we used to break the ice with Gentiles too

Whats funny is CK used to tell a joke that was something like "you should never rape a woman ever...unless...she doesnt want to have sex with you!" No one ever complained or groaned and he never once got in trouble for it. Hell one of his closing bits was:

"of course peanut allergies are bad, but maybe if we just let everyone who has them die we wouldnt have those allergies anymore."

"of course slavery is the worst thing to happen in the world, but maybe every single human achievement can be linked to human bondage or suffering!"

Those jokes got standing ovations and he nary was attacked.

I will say it again...if the truth hadnt come out about the disgusting stuff he did he would still be the #1 comic in the world and NO ONE would be giving a crap about the Parkland joke.
                      Last edited by Handyman; 01-06-2019, 10:21 AM.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        Nah...that is how we used to break the ice with Gentiles too

Whats funny is CK used to tell a joke that was something like "you should never rape a woman ever...unless...she doesnt want to have sex with you!" No one ever complained or groaned and he never once got in trouble for it. Hell one of his closing bits was:

"of course peanut allergies are bad, but maybe if we just let everyone who has them die we wouldnt have those allergies anymore."

"of course slavery is the worst thing to happen in the world, but maybe every single human achievement can be linked to human bondage or suffering!"

Those jokes got standing ovations and he nary was attacked.

I will say it again...if the truth hadnt come out about the disgusting stuff he did he would still be the #1 comic in the world and NO ONE would be giving a crap about the Parkland joke.
                        Why do I find none of those jokes funny? And not cause they offend me. They just aren't funny.

That's the greatest comedian in the world?
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Why do I find none of those jokes funny? And not cause they offend me. They just aren't funny.

Because those specific one-liners aren't the punchlines and were taken out of context from Louis CK's whole bit?

It's from the closing bit of his HBO special "Oh My God:"
                          (Transcript)
                          You know, you have your bad thoughts. Hopefully you do good things. Everybody has a competition in their brain of good thoughts and bad thoughts. Hopefully, the good thoughts win. For me, I always have both. I have, like, the thing I believe, the good thing– That’s the thing I believe– and then there’s this thing, and I don’t believe it, but it is there. It’s always this thing and then this thing. It’s become a category in my brain That I call, “of course… But maybe…”

I’ll give you an example, OK? Like, of course children who have nut allergies need to be protected, of course. We have to segregate their food from nuts, Have their medication available at all times, and anybody who manufactures or serves food needs to be aware of deadly nut allergies, of course, but maybe… Maybe if touching a nut kills you, you’re supposed to die. Of course not. Of course not. Of course not. Jesus. I have a nephew who has that. I’d be devastated if something happened to him, but maybe… maybe if we all just do this for one year, we’re done with nut allergies forever. No. Of course not.

Of course, if you’re fighting for your country and you get shot or hurt, it’s a terrible tragedy, of course, of course… But maybe… Maybe if you pick up a gun and go to another country and you get shot, it’s not that weird. Maybe if you get shot by the dude you were just shooting at, It’s a tiny bit your fault.

Of course, of course slavery is the worst thing that ever happened. Listen, listen. You all clapped for dead kids with the nuts. For kids dying from nuts, you applauded, So you’re in this with me now. Do you understand? You don’t get to cherry-pick. Those kids did nothing to you. Of course, of course slavery is the worst thing that ever happened. Of course it is, every time it’s happened– Black people in America, Jews in Egypt. Every time a whole race of people has been enslaved, it’s a terrible, horrible thing, of course… But maybe… Maybe every incredible human achievement in history was done with slaves. Every single thing where you go, “how did they build those pyramids?” They just threw human death and suffering at them until they were finished. How did we traverse the nation with the railroad so quickly? We just threw Chinese people in caves and blew ’em up and didn’t give a sh** what happened to them.

There’s no end to what you can do when you don’t give a fu** about particular people. You can do anything. That’s where human greatness comes from, is that we’re sh**ty people, that we fu** others over. Even today, how do we have this amazing microtechnology? Because the factory where they’re making these, They jump off the fu**ing roof ’cause it’s a nightmare in there. You really have a choice. You can have candles and horses and be a little kinder to each other or let someone suffer immeasurably far away just so you can leave a mean comment on YouTube while you’re taking a sh**.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

For the record, I think Louis CK was a fantastic storyteller, his delivery is what sold his jokes, as it is for many comedians. They continue to build and what might be a chuckle for us if we delivered it, they crescendo it into the overall joke and make it much funnier overall.

Honestly, I did chuckle at the above punchline when I found the transcript: "You can have candles and horses and be a little kinder to each other or let someone suffer immeasurably far away just so you can leave a mean comment on YouTube while you’re taking a sh**." The overall build up prior makes a summary statement like that sentence that much funnier.

As for Parkland, I would need to see the entire set up. But I could also see it being a Mitch Hedberg/Steven Wright one line statement that fell flat. Very, very flat.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Check Google. Outside of infowars, the rest of the world agrees with you.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Because those specific one-liners aren't the punchlines and were taken out of context from Louis CK's whole bit?

It's from the closing bit of his HBO special "Oh My God:"
                              (Transcript)
                              That doesn't actually make the case though. There's no 'humor'. Not sure why you guys can't see this stuff as strictly social commentary.

Have you always given Trump the benefit of the doubt, needing to hear the full context of stuff he says? Saying FU to adolescent shooting victims...is really not much better than making fun of the handicapped, calls women horseface. etc. The only difference is that one is perceived as 'your guy' the other not.
                              Go Gophers!

Comment

Who effing cares what a comedian said? Cripes. This really smacks of people just wanting to be mad. I suppose it is a good thing that this thread has nothing worthwhile happening in it, though.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X