Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 701 to 720 of 822

Thread: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

  1. #701
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,406
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Louis C.K. still has a career?
    My first immediate thought...

  2. #702
    Yep, still here
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    28,450

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Louis C.K. still has a career?
    Probably trying to become a "conservative comedian" since all his harassment charges cratered everyone else giving him a look.
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites


    Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

  3. #703

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,699

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    I love most of Louis C. K.'s work. I have no problem with him making a Parkland joke -- that's exactly the sort of thing a great comic could make into a great joke. But the recent routine which included that joke was just lousy and unfunny. He may have lost a step permanently (I hope not) or he may just be in terrible shape to write good material because of the mess he made in the rest of his life.

    I think he's an excellent comic, though. His best is among the best of anybody except for Carlin and Pryor. He's solidly in that second tier with Dangerfield, Burnett, Rickles, Hicks, Silverman, Foxx, Chappelle, and Woody)
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  4. #704
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,425

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I love most of Louis C. K.'s work. I have no problem with him making a Parkland joke -- that's exactly the sort of thing a great comic could make into a great joke. But the recent routine which included that joke was just lousy and unfunny. He may have lost a step permanently (I hope not) or he may just be in terrible shape to write good material because of the mess he made in the rest of his life.

    I think he's an excellent comic, though. His best is among the best of anybody except for Carlin and Pryor. He's solidly in that second tier with Dangerfield, Burnett, Rickles, Hicks, Silverman, Foxx, Chappelle, and Woody)
    I will forever love his, "White people have it great", "Suck a bag of dicks" and, "Of course, but maybe" bits among others. Though not sure anything tops Ricky Gervais' AIDS flyer routine.

  5. #705

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,699

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I will forever love his, "White people have it great", "Suck a bag of dicks" and, "Of course, but maybe" bits among others. Though not sure anything tops Ricky Gervais' AIDS flyer routine.
    "You're in a chair in the sky" is one of those routines that captures the ethos of an entire period. I want that in a time capsule for the Trisolarians to find:

    https://www.cc.com/video-clips/1myllo...acle-of-flight

    FF to between 40-60 seconds because ads can eat a dick.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  6. #706
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I have no problem with him making a Parkland joke -- that's exactly the sort of thing a great comic could make into a great joke.
    "You’re not interesting because you went to a high school where kids got shot. Why does that mean I have to listen to you? F--- you, "

    Sorry Kep, but this is a case that says more about your taste than about him. CKL is just a POS for attacking children who are trying to save lives.
    Last edited by 5mn_Major; 01-05-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Go Gophers!

  7. #707
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,425

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    "You're in a chair in the sky" is one of those routines that captures the ethos of an entire period. I want that in a time capsule for the Trisolarians to find:
    I first heard him do that on (Leno?) and absolutely loved it.

  8. #708

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,699

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    "You’re not interesting because you went to a high school where kids got shot. Why does that mean I have to listen to you? F--- you, "

    Sorry Kep, but this is a case that says more about your taste than about him. CKL is just a POS for attacking children who are trying to save lives.
    The outrageous wrongness of the joke is not the problem. The problem is that joke doesn't work.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-05-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  9. #709
    Arthur Morgan's Buddy
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    39,045

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    The problem is snowflakes don't find things funny when it is something they care about. (On both sides).

    You might not think the joke is funny but there is nothing wrong with the content. George Carlin said way worse...

    If CK hadnt torpedoed his career by being a disgusting creep 3/4 of the people offended by this home wouldn't even care.

  10. #710
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Louis C.K. still has a career?
    Yes, because there are still people that out there that can see the differnce between a joke and a statement.

  11. #711
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    116,002

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I will forever love his, "White people have it great", "Suck a bag of dicks" and, "Of course, but maybe" bits among others. Though not sure anything tops Ricky Gervais' AIDS flyer routine.
    His "my daughter is an a-hole" bit was great, and same with "Know what word I hate? The N-Word. No, not n****r, 'The N-Word'" bit.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #712
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The outrageous wrongness of the joke is not the problem.
    Oh the 'joke' was indeed wrong, as are those about the disabled and child molestation. CKL's not George Carlin. He's Tucker Carlson. But he dupes a minority of people because he wears a smile.
    Go Gophers!

  13. #713
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    116,002

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Oh the 'joke' was indeed wrong, as are those about the disabled and child molestation. CKL's not George Carlin. He's Tucker Carlson. But he dupes a minority of people because he wears a smile.
    I agree CK is not Carlin. Hell, who is?

    There is a doc out there called "The Last Laugh" that explores how far can humor go? Are there lines not to be crossed? It mainly discusses Holocaust/Nazi humor, but touches on some other subjects, too. Very good documentary.

    The point is, the more off-limits a subject is, the funnier the joke has to be. Apparently, CK's shooting joke wasn't that funny to begin with, therefore the tasteless lines followed suit.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #714
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Oh the 'joke' was indeed wrong, as are those about the disabled and child molestation. CKL's not George Carlin. He's Tucker Carlson. But he dupes a minority of people because he wears a smile.
    Whys it wrong? Because you say it is?

  15. #715
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    The problem is snowflakes don't find things funny when it is something they care about.
    I guess people who don't like holocaust jokes are snowflakes.
    Go Gophers!

  16. #716
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I agree CK is not Carlin. Hell, who is?

    There is a doc out there called "The Last Laugh" that explores how far can humor go? Are there lines not to be crossed? It mainly discusses Holocaust/Nazi humor, but touches on some other subjects, too. Very good documentary.

    The point is, the more off-limits a subject is, the funnier the joke has to be. Apparently, CK's shooting joke wasn't that funny to begin with, therefore the tasteless lines followed suit.
    It wasnt that funny because its not a finished joke. Comedians work clubs like the Cellar to workout their material. Stuff you see in specials is a finished project

  17. #717
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    I guess people who don't like holocaust jokes are snowflakes.
    I thought people from the holocaust were snowflakes

  18. #718
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    116,002

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    Whys it wrong? Because you say it is?
    There are very wrong jokes that are also very funny. Depends on your sense of humor. The aforementioned Aristocrats joke is SOOOOOO wrong, but I find it hilarious.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  19. #719
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Back down in Uptown
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Krug#1 View Post
    Whys it wrong? Because you say it is?
    Why would hundreds of political media outlets carry a full story on that single statement? Because it was funny?
    Go Gophers!

  20. #720
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    19,153

    Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

    Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Oh the 'joke' was indeed wrong, as are those about the disabled and child molestation.
    As a former civil rights attorney married to a public defender, never come to our home or you'll be triggered in less than 5 minutes by disabled and child molester jokes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •