X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Shooting: Keep The Calendar At Zero

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
    Good thing there's been more than one study that's ever been done on how our gun deaths compare to the rest of the developed world!
    Woooooosh!
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      So here's an interesting question. What is your opinion on the NRA waging a social media war against physicians who ask about guns in the home?
      Historically multiple organizations in health care have made statements- If you google it, pages and pages of different organizations. ANA, AMA, AFP, APA, multiple State organizations. I honestly doubt there is a single reputable entity that has not made a statement in support of measures to increase safety and promote prevention of gun violence. This has been an identified Public Health problem since before I went to school in 1978 and there has been an ongoing attempt to increase safety in regards to guns- how to prevent accidents, making sure people are aware of resources to help them know gun safety.

I have been an RN since 82 and an NP since 1988 and I know I screened for gun safety my whole time in practice- just like I screened for other safety issues. Way before the NRA decided to lose their minds. If I didn't screen I would have been considered negligent as the risk for accidental injury when guns in the house is historically quite high. A few years ago one of the pedi organizations put out a protocol that included asking about gun safety along with other safety issues (keep the cleaners locked under the sink, poison control #s, window safety when screens are in, lead paint...) and the Florida wingnuts actually passed a law banning the providers from screening. Of course if you didn't screen then you would be negligent as it was gold standard protocol.

Am I surprised they are doing this now? Not really. As the violence has increased they been increasingly illogical and strident when it comes to anything to do with safety. The more specific the suggestions for safety the more threatened they are and the sillier their response. Compound that with the current environment the Cheetoh in Chief has created with trying to delegitimize anything based in fact or science (including the antivaxer stuff) and they have a subset of people that are primed to believe them. THere is in fact a boat load of evidence that goes back decades regarding gun violence and safety. The implication there is none is another thing the sheeple will believe because it wouldn't occur to them to look for any evidence when they are told it doesn't exist.

My response to the tweet? Quoting again for those who don't tweet(I had to go looking, I don't do the birdie thing) :

Someone should tell self-important anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane. Half of the articles in Annals of Internal Medicine are pushing for gun control. Most upsetting, however, the medical community seems to have consulted NO ONE but themselves.
      Probably one of the most ridiculous things they have managed to say since they have gone off the deep end which is a hard mark to beat! Stay in their lane??? Pretty ballsy statement to make. Medical folk are the ones who pull out the bullets, patch holes, pour blood into the patient to help them survive. When they don't survive then we are the ones who get to tell the families, deal with the aftermath for both the patient/ families and ourselves. If anyone should stick to their lane it should be the NRA. They should stay the hell out of trying to tell people public health issues don't exist or how to solve them.

I would love to see any one of the NRA spokespeople have the balls to sit down with the families and explain why their dead person is dead. Explain to them why there should be nothing done to prevent what is many times preventable because someone needs to be able to play with their toys. Someone shouldn't have to go thru a little inconvenience to make sure the rest of us are safe because that might mean someone might have to delay their gratification to own a weapon that could kill someone. There is no forseeable reason why it is an emergency that someone needs a gun. If you are that threatened call the police.

**I am not anti gun. I have no problem with people owning guns. I do have a problem with people who don't know how to handle them or people who are not stable owning them. I was shooting pistols before I was 10 yrs old but man did I have the fear of God put in me to always follow safety measures. With privilege comes responsibility.

this subject makes me a little hot under the collar. I figure if my Dad could have the expectation of being safe with a weapon when I was <10, then society should have no problem expecting the same for adults.

and medical folk are not known for their grammar- exhibit above
      Last edited by leswp1; 11-11-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Aren't you glad you asked??

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Aren't you glad you asked??
          Well said
          "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
          Groucho Marx
          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
          Ron White
          Milo Bloom

Comment

No, saying both sides are extremists because one side wants sane gun laws and the other is basically a bunch of right wing nutjobs funded by Russian right wing nut jobs and nazis, is trolling.

Telling everyone else to do research after you stated that you could totally own Scooby with all these hypothetical stats and figures that you don't have, and he supposedly wouldn't change his mind if those existed and is therefore one of the "extremists", is also trolling.
            Good thing there's been more than one study that's ever been done on how our gun deaths compare to the rest of the developed world!
            What I actually said, is that if I happened to have facts/studies/etc that stated something I think is true, Scooby would disagree with me. If I said the sky is blue, Scooby would say it's not. It's not about owning Scooby. It's my opinion that he'd disagree with me no matter what I said.

I never said both sides are extremists. Both sides do have SOME extremists, which many agree on that point.

Keep tryin', son.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              What I actually said, is that if I happened to have facts/studies/etc that stated something I think is true, Scooby would disagree with me. If I said the sky is blue, Scooby would say it's not. It's not about owning Scooby. It's my opinion that he'd disagree with me no matter what I said.

I never said both sides are extremists. Both sides do have SOME extremists, which many agree on that point.

Keep tryin', son.
              LOL

Unlike most gun owners I believe 97% of Climate Change Scientists.

Nice try though.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                LOL

Unlike most gun owners I believe 97% of Climate Change Scientists.

Nice try though.
                I also believe in the climate change. What does that have to do with gun control?
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I also believe in the climate change. What does that have to do with gun control?
                  You emphatically said I would not listen to science just to disagree with you. That is patently false.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    You emphatically said I would not listen to science just to disagree with you. That is patently false.
                    And as previously mentioned, in essence, there are lies, dam lies, and statistics. When it comes down to our opinions, I don't think you'd ever agree with me on anything. *shrug* That's the way I see it.

Comment

And as previously mentioned, in essence, there are lies, dam lies, and statistics. When it comes down to our opinions, I don't think you'd ever agree with me on anything. *shrug* That's the way I see it.
                      It used to be just "You're either with us or against us". Now, for an extra added benefit, they'll tell you what you said/meant too. Keep up the fight Brent. I wish you well
                      Groucho Marx
                      Ron White
                      Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                        It used to be just "You're either with us or against us". Now, for an extra added benefit, they'll tell you what you said/meant too. Keep up the fight Brent. I wish you well
                        I'm not trying to fight here. I'd rather discuss and find common ground.

Comment

I'm not trying to fight here. I'd rather discuss and find common ground.

Definition of fight the good fight

: to try very hard to do what is right
                          Groucho Marx
                          Ron White
                          Milo Bloom

Comment

This is some fantastic stuff here. Even though Scooby says he'd listen if you actually came with some facts, you still can just point to the fact that he is just arguing with you about whether or not he'd listen.

The most glaring example I've seen recently on the board of someone completely ignoring facts came from you on taxes Brent. People went through the trouble to explain marginal tax rates which clearly wasn't factored in to your opinion on taxes and you pretty much said, I believe what I believe and packed up your toys and went home. Projection, it's not just for the President.

Comment

What's the point in posing a hypothetical when the reality is the exact opposite? Scooby has shown that he's receptive to science and Brent's argument is that he could hypothetically show him science and he'd disagree. I'm sorry but I don't know see how that's anything other than low effort trolling at this point. It's like when some random moron on facebook the other day said more or less the same thing but then presented zero actual facts or data to support his argument (that the left is constantly "pulling more stuff" than the right and that's why Acosta deserved to lose his press pass I think...?) and then said I wouldn't be receptive to them no matter what they were. I'm more than happy to read actual scientific findings if he's willing to present them.

The problem is one side of these debates (guns in particular) actually has science and data on their side and the other doesn't. And that's why his posts are so incredibly disingenuous. But by all means defend his ridiculous arguments lmao

Comment

What's the point in posing a hypothetical when the reality is the exact opposite? Scooby has shown that he's receptive to science and Brent's argument is that he could hypothetically show him science and he'd disagree. I'm sorry but I don't know see how that's anything other than low effort trolling at this point. It's like when some random moron on facebook the other day said more or less the same thing but then presented zero actual facts or data to support his argument (that the left is constantly "pulling more stuff" than the right and that's why Acosta deserved to lose his press pass I think...?) and then said I wouldn't be receptive to them no matter what they were. I'm more than happy to read actual scientific findings if he's willing to present them.

The problem is one side of these debates (guns in particular) actually has science and data on their side and the other doesn't. And that's why his posts are so incredibly disingenuous. But by all means defend his ridiculous arguments lmao
                                When I present my opinion, I state it's my opinion. Not that difficult to understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X