X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    New Balance was championing the Chinese tariffs because they make their shoes in the USA. I remember reading an article about it this past spring.
    They make a small selection of their shoes in the USA, not all of them...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      That's the thing. It's dang near impossible to do with a limited budget and/or on "Everyday use" type items. We've reached a point to where final cost trumps all.
      Most companies are "price takers," in economics. Unless you can create an outstanding brand to distinguish your product, you take what price you're able to assess the public will pay. There are variations to this, but in the grand scheme of things, those variations are fairly minor. With that in mind, companies see the one way they can increase profit is to 1) sell more goods, and 2) decrease the input costs of those goods. Even with wages increasing for an individual, that person only needs so many salad tongs in his/her life. Therefore, a company will attempt to reduce their bottom line to the absolute lowest they can.

With the tariffs, two things happen, 1) prices of products go up, thus reducing the purchasing power of all consumers, hitting the lowest income ones the most; 2) companies start to fail as people still need to purchase X quantity of various staples, so they stop going out to eat for dinner, or don't go to the movies, etc.. This, of course, has a snowballing effect to then not only increase costs to businesses and consumers, but then reduces revenues to non-staple goods and services providers. The first people to be laid off are not the upper echelon of earners, it's the poor people. So low income earners are being hit on both sides. Meanwhile, we're told how easy it is to win a trade war.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        That's the thing. It's dang near impossible to do with a limited budget and/or on "Everyday use" type items. We've reached a point to where final cost trumps all.
        Right, because our income inequality is so ****ing absurd and half this country can barely afford these everyday use items.

Last edited by dxmnkd316; 08-01-2019, 04:25 PM.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I agree with both of you. As a whole, the US has reached the Point of No Return if you will.

Comment

This also gives me hope:

Sure, there are educational black holes that swallow up incurious people. But Michigan, Indiana, Iowa, Tennessee, Arizona, South Carolina, and Florida are all looking for more information.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
              They make a small selection of their shoes in the USA, not all of them...
              Yeah that’s an important distinction.

Comment

I'd never seen this, it's wonderful.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I'd never seen this, it's wonderful.
                  So happy to see NBC venturing into documentaries

Comment

How many of you are thinking, "Why didn't I think of that!?"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-the-caribbean
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Me
                      Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Me
                        Me too.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Oh look, a food truck on a boat, with awful hipster pizza that probably runs $20/pie.

Sweet Home Indiana (sausage, corn, white sauce, and arugula)

The Blumin Onion (made with lemon aioli instead of tomato sauce; leeks, radicchio, blue cheese, and honey)

Rasta Mon (red curry coconut sauce, flaked coconut, snap peas, red bell peppers, and fresh mango)
                          Kill me if I ever have to eat any of that crap.

One day a customer arrived holding a 7-pound lobster she’d caught earlier in the day. “Can I just trade this for a pizza?”
                          WHO THE FCK GIVES UP A 7-POUND LOBSTER FOR SH*TTY HIPSTER PIZZA?!

Am I jealous? Sure, a little. That they've fleeced people into thinking this is good. I would kill myself if I ever served someone "pizza" with corn, coconut, or mango on it.

Comment

Lol. Speaking of pizza nazis...

Let me guess, you flip your lid at pineapple on pizzas?

Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Lol. Speaking of pizza nazis...

Let me guess, you flip your lid at pineapple on pizzas?

It's gross, and fck you for even suggesting it.

Comment

I love pineapple on pizzas.

Pineapple, sausage, black olives. Sweet, savory, salty. You’re welcome.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X