X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    The MSM is just dying to sensationalize something they don't know dick about for clicks.
    Whenever there is a news story about something I know firsthand or have professional expertise in:

1. they emphasize all the wrong things
    2. they get basic facts right but leave out or misunderstand advanced facts
    3. they are stenographers for non-informed actors who are projecting support roles (LEO, political, corporate)

I don't think these are deliberate biases or conspiracies. It is the freight cost for delivering news quickly and in an entertaining way so more than already knowledgeable people will consume it (and buy beer and cars).

Think of the news as those "Kids News" glossies when you're in elementary school. It's not that it's evil, but if anything is interesting to you then it's the beginning of your own research path.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Yeah but $9/hr in India being upper middle class doesn’t mean a ****ing thing when it comes to skill level relative to $160/hr American programmers. There’s a reason we don’t outsource our chemical reactor programming overseas.
      Because your market is apparently not competitive enough to compel you to cut your costs in this sensible way? Coding is a commodity - you may as well be bragging that your company ensures all its workers wear US-made shoes. If your testing is rigorous enough (as it is in aviation), it doesn’t matter who did the coding - it either passes the testing or it gets fixed until it does.

The coders didn’t code the thing wrong - they coded the wrong thing.
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Shareholder economy. **** labor.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          Shareholder economy. **** labor.
          I can't wait for the inevitible...
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Why do you and (((economists))) hate America?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Why do you and (((economists))) hate America?
              Just give laffer some new awards and it’ll all be ok

Comment

MAD magazine is ceasing publication of new material and stopping newsstand sales.

Though I haven't read MAD in decades, it was an important part of my youth.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48865342
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  MAD magazine is ceasing publication of new material and stopping newsstand sales.

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

It hasn't been the same since the 70s. Man it had a great run, though. There was a good long stretch when Mad was the most intelligent publication in the country.

(Song works just as well for American immigration politics in 2019, too. Plus ca change.)
                    Last edited by Kepler; 07-04-2019, 09:51 AM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

J.P. Morgan looks like they'll have an asset write-off

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...9-7-1028340025
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Interesting.......

‘Race also played a central role. Minneapolis is among the most segregated and unequal cities in America, a fact at odds with its self-image as a tolerant and diverse community. The gap between white and black homeownership is the widest in any of the 100 cities with the largest black populations: 75 percent of whites own their homes, compared with just 25 percent of blacks.‘
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Interesting.......

‘Race also played a central role. Minneapolis is among the most segregated and unequal cities in America, a fact at odds with its self-image as a tolerant and diverse community. The gap between white and black homeownership is the widest in any of the 100 cities with the largest black populations: 75 percent of whites own their homes, compared with just 25 percent of blacks.‘
                          That is interesting--and surprising. Milwaukee is awful, and I'd assumed Mpls was much better.

Comment

There might be some other factors in play here. Minnesota has an extraordinarily large Somali population and a fairly large fraction are first generation. I’m just not sure that study paints an accurate picture.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Eh it’s beem around for a while. Problem is more north side than cedar riverside if I recall.
                              This is why the 2040 plan came about.

Comment

I remember the story when it came out. I just think it doesn’t accurately account for the influx of first generation immigrants who have always had some difficulties in things like homeownership. I’m glad they’re addressing it though. They’re a good community and very friendly.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X