This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Taxes went up for me big time. I owe in about $400 to the feds. I got $1,400 back last year.

Edit: I was in the area that got squeezed. I lost about $7,000 in combined deductions and exemptions. Hence the increase.

Hey trump, f-ck you
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 04-02-2019, 07:58 PM.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Taxes went up for me big time. I owe in about $400 to the feds. I got $1,400 back last year.

Edit: I was in the area that got squeezed. I lost about $7,000 in combined deductions and exemptions. Hence the increase.

Hey trump, f-ck you
      My taxes went down, but my withholding went down further. State *** me over good because I can't itemize any more.

A change in withholding will fix both. When I hit 65, I get a pension exclusion from Maryland.

Now, if I lived in PA, I wouldn't be taxed on my government pension, but they have a nice inheritance tax.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

And the Bezos split is finalized. Almost as much as the Brexit payout

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-divorce-deal/
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          And the Bezos split is finalized. Almost as much as the Brexit payout

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-divorce-deal/
          I'm willing to be rejected as a possible hubs #2...just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Hey trump, f-ck you
            Total income went up by $350, total taxes owed went down by $200.

Lost about 4,000 in exemptions/deductions vs. last year since I fell in the gap where itemized+personal exemption > standard, but loss of personal exemption meant standard > itemized alone.

Best part is I still have to fill out the itemized paperwork since I get to itemize on the state return, but have to file the federal form with the state return due to the charitable contributions. And I get to do the state one by hand on a fillable PDF because TurboTax farks up the deductions since we do Married Filing Separately for student loan repayment purposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Lost about 4,000 in exemptions/deductions vs. last year since I fell in the gap where itemized+personal exemption > standard, but loss of personal exemption meant standard > itemized alone.

Best part is I still have to fill out the itemized paperwork since I get to itemize on the state return, but have to file the federal form with the state return due to the charitable contributions. And I get to do the state one by hand on a fillable PDF because TurboTax farks up the deductions since we do Married Filing Separately for student loan repayment purposes.
              I prefer Taxact because of the interface.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Another 'good' jobs number. Can we really believe any number that the government puts out any more?
                Go Gophers!

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I'm okay with it.

Seems to show the shutdown effected the numbers from February (obviously). I didnt know the numbers were released, so when searching for them, the Canadian Labor report was published too, showing a similar addition to their jobs last month.

Overall, how many of those jobs were seasonal startup (farming/construction) is more key.

*edit* We also seem to be approaching the limit for unemoloyment as the curve appears to be similar to a y=1/f(x) curve, with a limit of 3.75
                  Last edited by aparch; 04-05-2019, 08:07 AM.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This guy seems to have nailed it, his whole thread us good.

It's not the fact that there is such continued job growth, it's what type of sh** jobs are being created to continue such growth. Also, wages over the last six months are flattening out again (more? Still? Etc).

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

It turns out we had interpreted it wrong. My effective tax rate went down by like 0.4%. I’ve never had to pay in before. Ever. They screwed with withholding to make people think they got a bigger tax cut. I know some people rely on that return. Thankfully I don’t. I haven’t touched my withholding in years and this “reform” changed everything.

The other thing that irked me was the stupid format of the 1040. They took a really well-designed form and in order to make the stupids happy, they broke it into multiple pages so it could “fit on a postcard”. That form had been developed over decades and Trump **** all over it. Hurr ****ing durr.

I was in the same bot with not itemizing for the feds but had to itemize for the state. Just stupid.
                      Code:
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        This guy seems to have nailed it, his whole thread us good.

It's not the fact that there is such continued job growth, it's what type of sh** jobs are being created to continue such growth. Also, wages over the last six months are flattening out again (more? Still? Etc).
                        Since we’re on the capital side at work, we are already seeing the effects of the coming recession. Things are starting to seize up. There’s a lot more hesitation to spend.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Since we’re on the capital side at work, we are already seeing the effects of the coming recession. Things are starting to seize up. There’s a lot more hesitation to spend.
                          My realtor friends are seeing this, too.

Winter is coming.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It’s been a good run.

What’s crazy to think about is there are kids who have been working for six to eight years who haven’t seen a recession and what it does. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Couple that with the fact that we already cut taxes and interest rates are still at record lows. This one could be a bad one too. Hopefully not though.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                              Another 'good' jobs number. Can we really believe any number that the government puts out any more?
                              why are you still asking that after experiencing their inflation numbers?? those certainly ain't new
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

$20/hr is the new $15 an hour.

I find it interesting who's behind the push for this. A rising tide raises all ships, and if this is the start of companies paying their employers better, then let's have at it!

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X