X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    The yield curve just inverted.

It’s been threatening for months but it finally happened. It’s not a perfect predictor of a recession, but it has only been wrong twice since 1966. The average length to a recession has been about a year. If you have a recession a year from now, November 2020 will be a bloodbath.
    Yeah, and don'tcha know us Demorats (sic) just cheer it on!

Comment

Update on Boeing MCAS
      https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47722258

The upgrade to version 1.0.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        The upgrade to version 1.0.
        This is... entirely unacceptable. There shouldn't be a single beta or unfinished feature on something that is critical to life and safety. Or let's be honest, anything to do with commercial flights.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          This is... entirely unacceptable. There shouldn't be a single beta or unfinished feature on something that is critical to life and safety. Or let's be honest, anything to do with commercial flights.
          Their fix, while obviously an improvement over the plane flying itself into the ground, still leaves the pilot with a plane that has the tendency to want to pitch up too high. Seems to me the root issue that needs to be fixed are the sensors that seem to be not even close to reliable enough.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
            Their fix, while obviously an improvement over the plane flying itself into the ground, still leaves the pilot with a plane that has the tendency to want to pitch up too high. Seems to me the root issue that needs to be fixed are the sensors that seem to be not even close to reliable enough.
            I'm not sure that's the problem. Wasn't the whole root cause the fact that they extended the fuselage and they had to adjust how the automated flight controls work? I don't recall exactly what it was, but I could have sworn I heard that somewhere.

If you need the computer to make the adjustments, your plane isn't airworthy. That's the kind of stuff they build into fighter jets. They can be inherently unstable because they need maneuverability.

I could be pulling all of this straight out of my a-s though, so YMMV.

Edit: Wiki has the following:
            Boeing 737 MAX aircraft have engines mounted higher and further forward than previous 737 models. This engine relocation and the new nacelle shape cause an upward pitching moment. In order to pass Part 25 certification requirements, Boeing employed the MCAS to automatically apply nose-down trim when the aircraft is in steep turns or in low-speed, flaps-retracted flight. When the angle of attack (AOA) exceeds a limit that depends on airspeed and altitude, the system activates without notice to the pilot. The system is temporarily deactivated when a pilot trims the aircraft using a switch on the yoke
            That's the one. The plane's design causes it to have an upward pitching moment. Isn't that a problem that shouldn't need to be fixed with another computer system?
            Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-27-2019, 03:25 PM.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I'm not sure that's the problem. Wasn't the whole root cause the fact that they extended the fuselage and they had to adjust how the automated flight controls work? I don't recall exactly what it was, but I could have sworn I heard that somewhere.

If you need the computer to make the adjustments, your plane isn't airworthy. That's the kind of stuff they build into fighter jets. They can be inherently unstable because they need maneuverability.

I could be pulling all of this straight out of my a-s though, so YMMV.
              You're right, the true root issue is that the airframe isn't as stable as a passenger jet is supposed to be because of what they had to do to make room for the larger engines. I guess what I meant is the sensors are what needs to be fixed short of scrapping the planes.

Comment

You're right, the true root issue is that the airframe isn't as stable as a passenger jet is supposed to be because of what they had to do to make room for the larger engines. I guess what I meant is the sensors are what needs to be fixed short of scrapping the planes.
                Yeah, I should have clarified my answer was to a question you weren't asking. You're absolutely right as well. Because we all know Boeing isn't going to scrap the airframe.
                Code:

Comment

And actually, I didn't realize McNerney was CEO a Boeing when this was all being designed. That guy was awful. He was basically shown the door at my company because his GE model crap was killing our corporation just like it will kill GE.

All of this sh-t came from the top.
                  Code:

Comment

Another thing that really confuses me about the design of this system is that it apparently isn't using the pilot's control inputs as another signal that it can use. Meaning, if the pilot is aggressively trying to pitch the nose up, shouldn't the system just automatically stop trying to pitch the nose down; then raise an alarm, and disable itself?

Comment

Another thing that really confuses me about the design of this system is that it apparently isn't using the pilot's control inputs as another signal that it can use. Meaning, if the pilot is aggressively trying to pitch the nose up, shouldn't the system just automatically stop trying to pitch the nose down; then raise an alarm, and disable itself?
                      Yeah, that's the thing that just baffled me about this whole system. I thought the pilot was god on an aircraft. I don't like the idea of computers being god.
                      Code:

Comment

Meanwhile, while Red Don and the Chinese president continue to try to work out a trade deal, China orders 300 Airbuses.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Meanwhile, while Red Don and the Chinese president continue to try to work out a trade deal, China orders 300 Airbuses.
                          LOL. What a maroon.

I always kinda liked Europe better than the US. More power to them.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            This is why whatever shortcut you're taking might seem like a great way to cut costs, ultimately, doing things the right way is always cheaper in the long run.

Well done FAA and Boeing. You killed 300 people and less importantly cost us all money. **** you.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              LOL. What a maroon.

I always kinda liked Europe better than the US. More power to them.
                              I don't fly much at all, but the last time I flew cross country to visit my sister, years ago, when Boeing was having issues with another of their planes involved in frequent crashes, I made sure the airline I was flying used the Airbus.

The actual flying part isn't bad. Sorta like taking the bus. it's the takeoffs and landings I could do without.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The irony being that Airbus generally relies more on automation/software than Boeing does. Maybe that's why Boeing isn't as good at it....

I saw an industry-insider cartoon years ago depicting the latest Airbus cockpit, with just one button labeled "Fly" and another labeled "Land."
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X