Lucia Apologist

Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Google bought Fitbit...
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Google bought Fitbit...

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Gotta love the FBI

Lucia Apologist

Tax question for you geniuses.

We get 15% off stock in our employee stock program through monthly stock options.

It tells us we have to pay regular income taxes on the lesser of:
    1. the difference between FMV at the grant date and the discounted price
    2. excess (if any) of the price I sell over the price I bought it at.

Assume I've held the stock for two years after purchase, so it's fully qualified.

Let's consider the two scenarios:

Lot 1:
    FMV at purchase date: $100
    Purchase price: $85
    FMV at grant date (which I assume is the beginning of the offering period, which is the entire month): $90
    Sell Today at $110

Lot 2:
    FMV @ purchase: $100
    Purchase Price: $85
    FMV @ grant: $90
    Sell tomorrow at $80

Do I have the following correct:
    Lot 1: regular income = MIN( $90-$85=$5 , $110-$85=$25) = $5 ----- Capital gains: $110-$85 = $15
    Lot 2: regular income = MIN( $90-$85=$5 , $80-$85=-$5) = -$5?? ----- Capital loss: -$5??

Is that right? Because I'm confused if that second scenario is applicable to regular income (losses?) or capital losses. Or would I still have to pay regular income taxes on the $90-$85=$5 and I get to take -$5 as a capital loss?
    Code:
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Lucia Apologist

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...c58_story.html

Government sues Gilead over infringement of CDC patents in PReP. This is a big step.

The Dark One

Tax question for you geniuses.

We get 15% off stock in our employee stock program through monthly stock options.
    Stop right there. Anybody who's receiving stock options is a dirty rotten PLUTE!!!!
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Stop right there. Anybody who's receiving stock options is a dirty rotten PLUTE!!!!
    Ha! Yeah, except this isn't an option in the traditional plut way. THis is an option granted for a month, between 3 and 15% of your salary and only 15% discount (with several exceptions).

Everyone in the company is eligible unless they own 5% outstanding shares, have already bought $25k in stock, or some otherwise unobtainable hurdle.
    Code:

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

We have a discount ESPP, too. Helps keep investments diversified while giving employees who buy-in a reason to give a sheet about the company's performance.

Ours is different though, it is a payroll deduction held in escrow for six months. At which time they buy all the whole shares they can for you at a 15% discount from the current list price, and any remainder is returned to your next check as taxable income.

wubba lubba dub dub

We have a discount ESPP, too. Helps keep investments diversified while giving employees who buy-in a reason to give a sheet about the company's performance.

Ours is different though, it is a payroll deduction held in escrow for six months. At which time they buy all the whole shares they can for you at a 15% discount from the current list price, and any remainder is returned to your next check as taxable income.
    We have both a stock purchase plan that works similar to yours, and a unitized stock fund for use within the 401(k) plan - for the non-investors out there, a unitized fund allows you to purchase partial shares of the company's stock, similar to how mutual funds work.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Same here. At worst, you get 15% on a six month investment, hard to beat that return.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

The Dark One

I don't know what kind of outfits you all work for but here we're given stock awards, none of this discounted purchase price nonsense!
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Lucia Apologist

Found the plute

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

I don't know what kind of outfits you all work for but here we're given stock awards, none of this discounted purchase price nonsense!
    One does not exclude the other.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

At ours they just give us minutes.

Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Cornell University
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Schools are just another business.

College Board corporation that owns test scores sells student data to schools.
    College Board recorded $100 million in revenue from its business that includes selling student data in 2017, according to the latest tax return available, up from $63 million in 2010.

Students are asked before taking College Board’s tests if they want to make their information available to schools. Ms. Johnson said it was not clear to her what the information would be used for, but she hoped schools that were interested in her would send mail. She said she didn’t know her data would be monetized.

The schools target these students, knowing their scores and knowing they won't get in.
    Jori Johnson took the practice SAT test as a high-school student outside Chicago. Brochures later arrived from Vanderbilt, Stanford, Northwestern and the University of Chicago. The universities’ solicitations piqued her interest, and she eventually applied.
    The students apply and are rejected.
    A few months later, she was rejected by those and three other schools that had sought her application, she said. The high-school valedictorian’s test scores, while strong by most standards, were well below those of most students admitted to the several schools that had contacted her.

This improves the schools' exclusivity score.
    Each year, 1,900 schools and scholarship programs buy combinations from among 2 million to 2.5 million names, College Board said, declining to say how many names in total it sells. Schools target combinations of geography, socio-economic class and academic interests. A college could buy a list of, say, soccer-playing Caucasian girls from Colorado, Wyoming and Montana who scored 1,200 to 1,300 on the PSAT, are interested in engineering and whose parents didn’t attend college.

Some schools buy a half-million names a year, admissions officers say. Tulane University said it bought about 300,000 names last year from College Board. Tulane’s applicant pool climbed 174% between 2002 and 2017 and its acceptance rate declined 62%, federal data show.

The (Vanderbilt) admissions office doubled its recruiting staff and increased the number of names bought from College Board to about 150,000 from 60,000 during her time at Vanderbilt, she said. ... Vanderbilt’s admissions rate has dropped to 11% in 2017, from 46% in 2002, according to an analysis of federal data. The number of Vanderbilt applicants rose more than three-fold over the same period.

So, College Board gets money; schools improve their reputations, rejected students pay for it. A perfect scam.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-07-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    Cornell University

Lucia Apologist

Schools are just another business.

College Board corporation that owns test scores sells student data to schools. The schools send information to students. Students apply, generating more revenue for School Board. Applications are rejected, thus improving the schools' exclusivity score. College Board gets money; schools improve their reputations, rejected students pay for it. A perfect system.
    This should be a crime punishable by catapult.
    Code:

there's a good buck in that racket.
    This should be a crime punishable by catapult.
    Universities should be taxed like any other property owner. F them

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Universities should be taxed like any other property owner. F them
    Public and private, or only the private?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Thread Information