This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    So, lots of Type A "tech bro" d1ckheads trying to stab each other in the back. Again, no thanks. I work with plenty of them as it is.
    Tech bros work at startups.

Comment

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      You could run the entire IT sector of this country from Bangalore.
      $$$$$$$$
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        $$$$$$$$
        mookie, the techs in Bangalore would fail tremendously. I work with a number of them, and they are by far inferior to American and Indians techs who've migrated to the US.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          mookie, the techs in Bangalore would fail tremendously. I work with a number of them, and they are by far inferior to American and Indians techs who've migrated to the US.
          Yeah, this.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            This.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              I have heard this from every developer and software manager I have ever talked with. We judge Indian/Pakistani STEM by the people who come here. But those people are the .01% left tail. The millions (literally) who toil back home are doing meatball surgery.

We are doing the equivalent of meeting a Cal Tech grad and judging the ability of 100 University of Phoenix grads by her.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

and how does any of this matter to dividends?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I have heard this from every developer and software manager I have ever talked with. We judge Indian/Pakistani STEM by the people who come here. But those people are the .01% left tail. The millions (literally) who toil back home are doing meatball surgery.

We are doing the equivalent of meeting a Cal Tech grad and judging the ability of 100 University of Phoenix grads by her.
                  During my 12 or so years of working with developers, Indian developers who come here are competent, very few of them have the talent to rise to a team leadership position within the tech departments I have experience. So far, only one has done so and he might be the best developer I've ever met. The developers we work with who are based in India, they mostly lack the dynamic thought process to turn in good code without a lot of BA support.

I have had decent BA interactions with Indians who move here and have stayed for more than 5 years. It seems to me like they come here with a very rigid mindset of sticking to the rules, but then learn to become more creative once they're here. The thought has crossed my mind, though I'm not sure how much stock I put into it, that it's an extension of growing up in a caste system and later being freed from it.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    and how does any of this matter to dividends?
                    People stop buying your product if it doesn't work.

Comment

People stop buying your product if it doesn't work.
                      but if at one point all products dont work?

Comment

Not that I'd EVER pile on mookie but same issue here. Company had to insource tech support because it was a disaster overseas. All the good people have already left Bangladore so you're left with the dregs over there.

At a previous employer about 15 years ago somebody got the bright idea to outsource tech support and they flew over a bunch of people from India. They put them up all expenses paid for a couple of months and trained them on our systems, after which they went home and...promptly found other jobs! As US trained employees, they were in demand and they can chase a buck just as well as Americans.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Thorstein Weblen, as always, FTW:

(T)he institution of a leisure class acts to make the lower class conservative by withdrawing from them as much as it may of the means of sustenance, and so reducing their consumption, and consequently their available energy, to such a point as to make them incapable of the effort required for the learning and adoption of new habits of thought. -- The Theory of the Leisure Class (1899)
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

C’mon!!! It’s not like Indians can’t land a rocket on the moon or anything

Comment

Yep. I can count on one hand the number of India devs I've worked with who were actually good.

Comment

During my 12 or so years of working with developers, Indian developers who come here are competent, very few of them have the talent to rise to a team leadership position within the tech departments I have experience. So far, only one has done so and he might be the best developer I've ever met. The developers we work with who are based in India, they mostly lack the dynamic thought process to turn in good code without a lot of BA support.

I have had decent BA interactions with Indians who move here and have stayed for more than 5 years. It seems to me like they come here with a very rigid mindset of sticking to the rules, but then learn to become more creative once they're here. The thought has crossed my mind, though I'm not sure how much stock I put into it, that it's an extension of growing up in a caste system and later being freed from it.
                                Maybe but I think a lot of it is coming to a new culture. Imagine having to navigate highly technical work and also assimilate to a new culture. Talk about a handicap.

I doubt bright Americans would thrive if they entered the Indian economy.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X