Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...mpression=true

Why in he blue hell would condos and apartments not be taxed in the first place?
    I believe they are taxed. This is an additional tax on top of property taxes for non residents.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...fed-data-show/

Also known as "no sh*!," and when can we start publicly flogging the 1%? We can get to the next 9% later.
    I remember wondering a few months back what percentage of the stock market is own by whom. I think that if the estimate that the top 10 percent of families control about 84 percent of the stock market is even remotely accurate, you can essentially assume a similarly high percentage of every dollar spent goes to the top 10%. One more bit of evidence that a fair tax just ain't fair and that we need a steep progressive income tax. And probably steeper at that.

Furthermore, it just goes to show how much we need to treat long term capital gains as regular income.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I remember wondering a few months back what percentage of the stock market is own by whom. I think that if the estimate that the top 10 percent of families control about 84 percent of the stock market is even remotely accurate, you can essentially assume a similarly high percentage of every dollar spent goes to the top 10%. One more bit of evidence that a fair tax just ain't fair and that we need a steep progressive income tax. And probably steeper at that.

Furthermore, it just goes to show how much we need to treat long term capital gains as regular income.
    Feels like something is missing here?

What is owned by foreign nationals?

Stock ownership is huge!!
    Property?

That should be hit too, double taxation treaty be dammed

Like anyone cares if those countries want to hit back on US citizens owning overseas....

Pound them all!

Lucia Apologist

I care about rich foreign investors and their tax woes about as much as I care about the rich here crying about taxes.
    Sorry Mookie.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    I honestly would have been shocked if something like this hadn't been going on. I've just been under the assumption that college admissions could be bought.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    The 1% live in a different world than you and me. Glad you're finally figuring that out.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The 1% live in a different world than you and me. Glad you're finally figuring that out.
    Normally you buy a building or endow a chair. Bribing a coach, though, is more modern and has been practiced by sneaker companies for years.

The Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    I honestly would have been shocked if something like this hadn't been going on. I've just been under the assumption that college admissions could be bought.
    I have to say, I don't get it. Instead of paying a middle man half a million bucks, if the Loughlins say or whoever donated that directly to the university with the promise of maybe a few more bucks upon admission I find it hard to believe the combination of $$$ and celebrity status wouldn't have gotten their kids into these colleges. Think of Rodney Dangerfield's character dealing with the dean in Back to School when he was trying to become a student.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    Most of the rich kids I knew in college were monumentally stupid. Dump level stupid. Yet there they were. I wonder how?

They weren't by any means a large segment of the student population -- maybe 1 in 50. But it was still galling to have them there when they obviously had nothing between the ears.

Fun fact: they run our major corporations, now.

Tow the ESA into the center of Africa and let them work it out for themselves.
    Last edited by Kepler; 03-13-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Lucia Apologist

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-merger-bills/

AT&T raising prices again after promising lower post-merger bills

DirecTV Now packages today cost $40 to $75 a month before add-ons such as HBO, and current customers will reportedly pay $10 a month more regardless of which package they subscribe to, making the prices $50 to $85. News reports say AT&T is also reconfiguring its channel packages for new subscribers, adding HBO to basic packages while eliminating dozens of channels that aren't part of the AT&T-owned Time Warner Inc. New customers will reportedly be able to choose from two slimmer plans costing $50 or $70 a month.
    So at what point do we decide that complete vertical integration is monopolistic and predatory? I know it won't be in the next two years, but I'm holding out hope that we start breaking these companies back up in my lifetime.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

So at what point do we decide that complete vertical integration is monopolistic and predatory? I know it won't be in the next two years, but I'm holding out hope that we start breaking these companies back up in my lifetime.
    Elizabeth Warren explained exactly how and why she wants to break them up (on Morning Joe) and it made perfect sense. She really knows how to explain things.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

For being a tech website, they sure don't understand technology.

DirecTV Now is the online only streaming package and was launched by the merged ATT/DirecTV company (as the merger was okayed over a year before this service)

DirecTV, the actual satellite TV service that was bought by ATT in 2015, did NOT have a $10 price hike today.

No where in the merger documents does it say that their online streaming only service yet to be created will also not have any price hikes.

I'm all for calling companies on their bullsh**, but on this one, Ars Technica can sit and spin.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Elizabeth Warren explained exactly how and why she wants to break them up (on Morning Joe) and it made perfect sense. She really knows how to explain things.
    Isnít she supposed to reinstate glass steagall??

Isn’t she supposed to reinstate glass steagall??
    Would that help or does the modern situation require something more / different?

The bumper sticker is, for once, accurate and fully inclusive: too big to fail is too big to exist. The legal limit on your ability to dominate a market should be when you become such a threat that we can't afford to let you fail. A business where that can happen is a business where we either need Draconian anti-monopoly laws or simply public ownership.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

The Dark One

Isnít she supposed to reinstate glass steagall??
    Wrong industry mookie. Try to keep up, will ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Wrong industry mookie. Try to keep up, will ya?
    She should finish one job before moving to the next

The Dark One

She should finish one job before moving to the next
    Lizzy can walk and chew gum at the same time unlike our righty friends...

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Lizzy can walk and chew gum at the same time unlike our righty friends...
    Just needs to finish.... nobody likes seeing engine blocks sitting in the front yard

Technologieberater FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    No one takes her seriously after the whole Native thing, which is why she's being bolder. Find another candidate willing to do that.

Oh crap, that's probably Bernie...*sweats a little*

Thread Information