X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    This class action lawsuit against the National Realtors Association (and others) seems like it could be a pretty big deal.

https://www.inman.com/2019/03/08/wha...-realtors/amp/
    Based only on a 5-minute article... I think the plaintiffs might be right. But also, I'm not sure I want them to succeed. This all sounds not so good. Though, I'm not sure the nuking of the entire infrastructure is the result if they win. The world is complex, laws are more complex, and there's always some breathing room. Hopefully the court can find it.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      No. It is a classic example of something that sounds lovely and has exactly zero actual value in the real world.

You would be better off just lighting the dollars on fire. At least the recipients would be warm then.

Sometimes bullsh-t is just bullsh-t. "Just say no." "Thoughts and prayers." And this. Magical thinking.
      So what do you do instead if it doesn't work?
      Code:
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        F-ck if I know, son. I'm from the Old Way.

Either most people simply don't work anymore or we invent new things for them to do. Maybe we'll invent a religion where you have to pray for your ancestors 40 hours a week or they burn in eternal hellfire. People are good at praying, especially the ones who aren't good at anything else.

Killing each other is another very popular choice from history. Not in wars -- machines will be much better than we in wars from now on. But just think of how many people we could occupy if some people started randomly murdering other people. Then we'd have people whose job it was to find them and kill them first, and people to report on them, and people to invent ways of predicting them, not to mention people to get themselves blown up.

The more I think about it the more this idea has promise.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

F-ck if I know, son. I'm from the Old Way.

Either most people simply don't work anymore or we invent new things for them to do. Maybe we'll invent a religion where you have to pray for your ancestors 40 hours a week or they burn in eternal hellfire. People are good at praying, especially the ones who aren't good at anything else.

Killing each other is another very popular choice from history. Not in wars -- machines will be much better than we in wars from now on. But just think of how many people we could occupy if some people started randomly murdering other people. Then we'd have people whose job it was to find them and kill them first, and people to report on them, and people to invent ways of predicting them, not to mention people to get themselves blown up.

The more I think about it the more this idea has promise.
          Maybe let's call that Plan B
          Code:

Comment

Based only on a 5-minute article... I think the plaintiffs might be right. But also, I'm not sure I want them to succeed. This all sounds not so good. Though, I'm not sure the nuking of the entire infrastructure is the result if they win. The world is complex, laws are more complex, and there's always some breathing room. Hopefully the court can find it.
            It's an interesting question as to whether buyers and sellers are helped or hurt by multiple listing services. It does basically fix rates at 5 or 6 percent of the sales price. But there are, I think, some benefits to multiple listing services.

First, I think they can protect against monopolies. It would be pretty easy for a large company to lower it's commission to drive the small independents out of business, and then turn around and raise the rates when the competition is gone. Also, without multiple listing, your home would basically only be shown by the broker you listed your house with, and not all of the realtors in town. Once it's on the MLS, each realtor (whether they had the original listing or not) is going to try to show the house because they will split the fee with the original listing broker if a sale occurs (I think). But if everyone just lists with a broker, and if there is no MLS, you basically only have your own broker out there trying to sell your house.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Maybe let's call that Plan B
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                UBI, obviously. Because it worked so well in Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  Job training may not have been as successful as possible...but that's on individual motivations, the implementation, and not the concept. And the dole is an important positive, but it just puts a few more dollars in the pockets of those left behind...not help them move forward.
                  No. It is a classic example of something that sounds lovely and has exactly zero actual value in the real world.
                  Just to be clear, the concept of job training does work.

Like most aspects of government, its being cut and therefore doesn't get the resources to address individual motivations and be executed properly. I actually saw the article Atlantic's mislabeled 'The False Promises of Worker Retraining' prior to my post. That article does not claim that jobs training can't work...but rather is not designed properly. Here are all the premises it advances:

'Workers who have been laid off through corporate downsizing or because their jobs were shipped to a foreign country don’t want to dedicate the time and effort needed to go through retraining without the pledge of a sure-fire job with the same or a better paycheck.' - Sounds like an individuals decision or motivation issue

'Federal retraining programs remain rooted in the industrial era in which they were created.' - Sounds like an execution issue

'For many dislocated workers it’s often easier to collect unemployment or other cash benefits that come along with training and then either remain jobless or patch together work that doesn’t require learning a new skill or acquiring a college degree.' - An individual motivation issue

'Employers don’t want to expand or relocate without the availability of an already-skilled workforce' - learn computer programming. Done. Oh, you don't want to do that?

'Dollars delivered to the states through the federal government’s primary workforce-retraining program have been slashed by 22 percent since 2009, and in his first budget earlier this year, President Trump proposed further cuts.' - Sounds like execution

“Higher education is usually seen as being inflexible to the needs of students.” - Execution

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...aining/549398/

...and what do we say about the US failure on guns? Look at other countries. Why don't we do that on jobs retraining? The following is an article that shows how others in the world have figured this out, but the US hasn't in large part to diversity and large part to govt. cuts:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...ker-retraining

Indeed, while Sweden's federal unemployment agency also runs retraining and counseling schemes, the industry-union councils do a better job of tracking which jobs and skills are most in demand, and they can adapt more quickly to market changes, Melin says. One council, TRR Trygghetsradet, had a success rate of 90 percent last year, and 34 percent of those re-employed workers found jobs that paid the same or more than their former ones.

Other countries show how the concept of jobs training can work with the right programs...
                  Last edited by 5mn_Major; 03-20-2019, 10:40 AM.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    UBI, obviously. Because it worked so well in Finland.
                    I think we can all agree that representative democracy failed in the Classical Greek and Renaissance Italian city states and thus, thankfully, has never been attempted again!
                    Cornell University

Comment

Private/Public partnership problems in a Twitter nutshell:

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        Private/Public partnership problems in a Twitter nutshell:

Yep. No shock here. Just more America pumping the handcart to hell.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The yield curve just inverted.

It’s been threatening for months but it finally happened. It’s not a perfect predictor of a recession, but it has only been wrong twice since 1966. The average length to a recession has been about a year. If you have a recession a year from now, November 2020 will be a bloodbath.
                          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 03-22-2019, 02:48 PM.
                          Code:

Comment

The yield curve just inverted.

It’s been threatening for months but it finally happened. It’s not a perfect predictor of a recession, but it has only been wrong twice since 1966. The average length to a recession has been about a year. If you have a recession a year from now, November 2020 will be a bloodbath.
                            We can't have a recession. We had a huge corporate tax cut that was going to finally unshackle this economy and get it humming at 4% GDP a year.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Another deficit record. Glad to see Netflix raising monthly prices after the record tax savings

“The record deficit comes as the government paid back more corporate taxes than it took in, losing $669 million. Overall, corporate taxes for the year were down $14.3 billion in comparison to the same period last year.”

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...Yu_ahxjpJf1zzw

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Another deficit record. Glad to see Netflix raising monthly prices after the record tax savings

“The record deficit comes as the government paid back more corporate taxes than it took in, losing $669 million. Overall, corporate taxes for the year were down $14.3 billion in comparison to the same period last year.”

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...Yu_ahxjpJf1zzw
                                There's no deficit. With the corporate rate cut and the economy humming at 4% GDP, AND all the money Ghina is giving us from the Tariffs we're ROLLING in DOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X