Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 377

Thread: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    The Merrimack/Princeton score (1-1) was a bit of a surprise.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Heading into the 3rd Penn State is leading Boston U 1-0. Goal by Shea Nelson.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Merrimack's Megan Fergusson scores early in the 1st to make it 1-0 over Princeton.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Tigers roar back to grab a 3-1 lead after one. SOG are 15-5, so each team is averaging a goal every 5 shots.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Tigers roar back to grab a 3-1 lead after one. SOG are 15-5, so each team is averaging a goal every 5 shots.
    Edit: Now 4-1 end of two. SOG 28-20.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Merrimack made a strong push at the end of the game, outshooting the Tigers 18-8 in the 3rd and converting on two power play opportunities in the last 3 1/2 minutes, but they the hole they dug themselves into was too deep. Final was 5-3 Princeton. SOG ended up almost equal, with Merrimack having a slight 38-36 edge.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    129

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    A wish list:

    Pep bands at all games. It adds energy.

    A respectable simulcast of games with enthusiastic announcers.

    The women should play before the men whenever possible to get more people in the stands even if it is just for one period.

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    53

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    A wish list:

    Pep bands at all games. It adds energy.

    A respectable simulcast of games with enthusiastic announcers.

    The women should play before the men whenever possible to get more people in the stands even if it is just for one period.
    agree 100%. amazing what a difference fans and pep bands make to the game.

  9. #149
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,521

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    The women should play before the men whenever possible to get more people in the stands even if it is just for one period.
    For the last several years, the BC/BU series was the same weekend as the men's series with both games set up as a men's/women's doubleheader. This year they swapped the women's game arenas so the women's games took place during the men's games in the other rink. The reasoning was the game being later in the day (one was a Friday afternoon, so, I guess) would attract more fans than the doubleheader would. I was screaming into the wind about this for weeks after the schedule was released. Ridiculous.

  10. #150

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    36,269
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    For the last several years, the BC/BU series was the same weekend as the men's series with both games set up as a men's/women's doubleheader. This year they swapped the women's game arenas so the women's games took place during the men's games in the other rink. The reasoning was the game being later in the day (one was a Friday afternoon, so, I guess) would attract more fans than the doubleheader would. I was screaming into the wind about this for weeks after the schedule was released. Ridiculous.
    Clarkson/St. Lawrence went back to back with 3pm/7pm starts.

  11. #151
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,521

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Clarkson/St. Lawrence went back to back with 3pm/7pm starts.
    It just seems obvious, doesn't it?

    I get that some people are against trying to ride the coattails of the men and want the women's games to fly on their own. No one wants that more than me, believe me. But here out east where we're happy to get 500 people in the door, an extra few hundo showing up to see some extra hockey makes a massive difference, and is an obvious way to win over new fans. Especially for the rivalry games!!!

    AAAAUGHH i shouldn't have brought this up, it makes me so frustrated every time I think about it...

  12. #152
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Minnesota with it's separate arenas right next door could certainly do a better job of coordinating start times. On Saturday we get a fairly unusual exception to the norm when the women take on UMD at 4:00 and the men host Penn State at 7:00. Makes for a nice doubleheader for those interested in both programs.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    129

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    I am not sure if there would be any cross over for separate arenas. But, three hours is better than the four hours in the North Country. I am thinking 2.5 hours to maximize the cross over. People get to movie theaters and watch pre-views even though you are there to watch another movie. So this concept is just not related to sports, all things compete for your dollar. Of course if your woman's program draws on its own then that might explain the four hour window in the North Country.
    But, for most Eastern schools it does make sense. The men's teams would also have to watch some before they have to get ready. Any fannies in seats would be better than crickets.

  14. #154
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,196

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    On Saturday we get a fairly unusual exception to the norm when the women take on UMD at 4:00 and the men host Penn State at 7:00. Makes for a nice doubleheader for those interested in both programs.
    Saturday is already a doubleheader inside of Ridder, as MSU and SCSU play at 1 in the other semifinal.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  15. #155
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    10,336

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Minnesota with it's separate arenas right next door could certainly do a better job of coordinating start times. On Saturday we get a fairly unusual exception to the norm when the women take on UMD at 4:00 and the men host Penn State at 7:00. Makes for a nice doubleheader for those interested in both programs.
    UW usually has the Saturday aft games for the women @ 2 and the men @ 7, so it makes a double really easy, allows plenty of time to go down to State St. and grab some food. This year we are doing a double in mid February. I missed one earlier if the year.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    I am not sure if there would be any cross over for separate arenas. But, three hours is better than the four hours in the North Country. I am thinking 2.5 hours to maximize the cross over. People get to movie theaters and watch pre-views even though you are there to watch another movie. So this concept is just not related to sports, all things compete for your dollar. Of course if your woman's program draws on its own then that might explain the four hour window in the North Country.
    But, for most Eastern schools it does make sense. The men's teams would also have to watch some before they have to get ready. Any fannies in seats would be better than crickets.
    Regarding your last two sentences:

    Except when the men's teams are there they are typically in the rink doing their pregame warmup running around, stretching, making noise and laughing with each other horsing around, kicking a soccer ball around and it sometimes coming onto our ice DURING our games. Then you had the game personnel for their games walking around setting up tables, hanging banners, generally making noise, but definitely not paying much attention to or caring about the fact that our game was going on. Then there was always the post-game frenzy to sort of get us out of the way so the setup for the men's game could get going on our bench and wherever else because our start times were only 3 hours apart which meant only about 20 minutes between the end of our game and the start of their on ice warmups and that's not including if our game went to OT. Ya, I always hated having our men's team play right after us. It made us feel very underappreciated and like we were just the warm up act for their games. Maybe other schools treated their men's and women's teams more equally than mine (which will remain nameless) but a lot of us did NOT like having those doubleheaders. Maybe things would have been different with 4 hours between start times. I'll never know.
    Last edited by shelfit; 01-02-2019 at 02:08 PM.

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Saturday is already a doubleheader inside of Ridder, as MSU and SCSU play at 1 in the other semifinal.
    Haha you are correct as always, but I was talking about the rare coordination of the schedules between our two Gopher teams. With the two rinks side-by-side it should be relatively easy if only they tried.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  18. #158
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,196

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    Haha you are correct as always, but I was talking about the rare coordination of the schedules between our two Gopher teams. With the two rinks side-by-side it should be relatively easy if only they tried.
    I agree, but I'm glad that they don't do doubleheaders on Fridays. I can see where that would be better for you, though. See you Saturday!
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  19. #159
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,888

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I agree, but I'm glad that they don't do doubleheaders on Fridays. I can see where that would be better for you, though. See you Saturday!
    I'll be there, but with two games to sit through already I'll miss the Mankato/St. Cloud game at 1:00.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    53

    Re: D1 2018-19 scores, discussion, etc

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    It just seems obvious, doesn't it?

    I get that some people are against trying to ride the coattails of the men and want the women's games to fly on their own. No one wants that more than me, believe me. But here out east where we're happy to get 500 people in the door, an extra few hundo showing up to see some extra hockey makes a massive difference, and is an obvious way to win over new fans. Especially for the rivalry games!!!

    AAAAUGHH i shouldn't have brought this up, it makes me so frustrated every time I think about it...

    did i hear that one of the NWHL teams was doing this? was it the whitecaps or Buffalo? playing a game before the NHL game seems a great way to get some extra publicity.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •