Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
    Very valid points. Although your second line about being the same team, I'd make that same argument for UMD. I think that last series of the year is going to decide who's crowned NCHC champions.
    I just hope the teams will be close on the ending night so there's more drama.

This weekend will probably be a split which doesn't decide anything
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
      Very valid points. Although your second line about being the same team, I'd make that same argument for UMD. I think that last series of the year is going to decide who's crowned NCHC champions.
      Maybe. It could be argued UMD has a tougher 2nd half than the Huskies and SCSU already has an 8 point cushion. It very well could be wrapped up before that last weekend.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        Maybe. It could be argued UMD has a tougher 2nd half than the Huskies and SCSU already has an 8 point cushion. It very well could be wrapped up before that last weekend.
        Looking at both schedules, GD you might be right. How did you guys swindle that easy of a schedule this year?! That may be the case. However, UMD has several players who have never experienced anything but a National Championship game. I'm interested to see how that experience comes into play as the year progresses. We all know how grueling the second half of the NCHC season can be. Either way, should be a fun weekend. I'm bummed FSN didn't pick it up here in the Twin Cities with no Wild game on. At least FSN+.
        "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
          Indeed. I hope it is not wrapped up for the obvious reasons but also because it would be an amazing weekend of hockey at the end of the year.

UMD wins round one of a four which helps but will be for naught if they lose tonight.

UMD was lucky and scored timely goals while SCSU was stifled. Really good win for UMD and it helped having back their three best skaters from World Junior.
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Brodzinski penatly was a makeup call for all the other penalties against UMD IMO. Was just trying to prevent Bulldog from falling on goalie
            I wanna go fast!

Comment

And... a split just as expected. Didn’t get to see the games.. Would love to hear any takes from people that did.

Another big weekend coming up for SCSU. Western just keeps winning.

Comment

Good analysis BlackandRed. I think the lead St Cloud has is going to be too much to overcome for the teams below them. They have basically gone the entire first half of conference play with one regulation loss. I will admit that their schedule overall hasn't been very daunting though. They will get tested more in the coming weeks and that started with the series at UMD which is a good split.

I will say that Denver and WMU are both significantly better than I expected them to be. I expected St Cloud and Duluth to be where they are, but not those other two. I think that North Dakota will miss out on the NCAAs for the second straight season. And its likely they may not even make it to the Frozen Faceoff, which could turn attendance into an interesting predicament because they've managed to make it there every year since the NCHC started and their fanbase is what drives that tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
                  And... a split just as expected. Didn’t get to see the games.. Would love to hear any takes from people that did.

Another big weekend coming up for SCSU. Western just keeps winning.
                  Friday had SCSU playing better than UMD for the most of the game but Shepard and the defense prevented many goals. SCSU only goal was a beauty of a redirect tip. UMD burried there chances in a game that felt like they shouldn't have won.

Saturday UMD came out firing but it felt like they let off the gas a bit once they were up 2-0. SCSU scored twice late in the 1st and then never looked back. UMD had some chances but just couldn't see to bury them.

UMD needs alotta things to happen to win the Penrose this year. Plus Western and Denver are both better than we all thought and can make a push for the title. Disapointing but there's bigger fish to fry come March and April.
                  tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                    Good analysis BlackandRed. I think the lead St Cloud has is going to be too much to overcome for the teams below them. They have basically gone the entire first half of conference play with one regulation loss. I will admit that their schedule overall hasn't been very daunting though. They will get tested more in the coming weeks and that started with the series at UMD which is a good split.

I will say that Denver and WMU are both significantly better than I expected them to be. I expected St Cloud and Duluth to be where they are, but not those other two. I think that North Dakota will miss out on the NCAAs for the second straight season. And its likely they may not even make it to the Frozen Faceoff, which could turn attendance into an interesting predicament because they've managed to make it there every year since the NCHC started and their fanbase is what drives that tournament.
                    Probably but they can't take a single weekend off. I think they have the toughest schedule left of any of the teams just behind them. No worse than splits with them (WMU, UMD and even UND) and then sweeps of the rest will get it done. Long way to go.

As for UND, going to OT twice at home against CC isn't a good look. I think they are going to finish 5th in the conference and I don't see them going on the road and beating UMD or Denver in the playoffs. Them missing the Frozen Faceoff would absolutely kill attendance for the event and that isn't a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                      As we wrap out the early season going into conference play, who will be the disappointment? Who will be the dark horse surprise?
                      Last year, the NCHC was only able to get 3 teams in. B1G held the overall best OOC winning % at .678 vs NCHC’s .649 despite B1G going 5-10-2 against NCHC opponents. Currently, teams are tied at 4-4-1 in head to head play with the NCHC leading at .670 with next best .652. We will see how the rest of the season plays out. I remember someone saying “if you want to make the NCAA, schedule like Penn State. If you want to win the NCAA-schedule like Notre Dame.
                      Source: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/re...-interconf.php

I expect UMD to win their first regular season conference title since the early 90s (how surprising is that—2 Nat titles out of 60ish teams—can’t beat out ~10 in regular season).. SCSU looks to be the most relevant challenger thus far despite some key losses and coaching change. Omaha looks like hot garbage.
                      CC is my upset pick of the year. Not expecting them to be top 2 or even 3 but definite strides of improvement. Also thinking Denver may surprise people—they looked pretty solid in facing adversity vs Fairbanks. Really hard to expect much of them with as young of a coach as Carle. And every year, we’ve been waiting on WMU to have a break out season—could this be it?

My picks:
                      1. UMD
                      2. SCSU
                      3. UND
                      4. WMU
                      5. CC
                      6. Denver
                      7. Miami
                      8. Omaha
                      Pretty confident in my top 2 and bottom 2 picks. Middle of the pack will be interesting—but hopefully the middle pack teams score well in pairwise this season
                      If you look at the remaining schedule in conference play: SC has MD twice & WM 4x, MD has SC & DN, DN has MD & WM.and WM has DN & SC 4x
                      Assuming WM remains hot and splits those 4 games with SC, and MD beats SC in their rematch then the DN - MD in Du match-up in Duluth might decide if either can catch SCl

Comment

Originally posted by JAMIE44 View Post
                        If you look at the remaining schedule in conference play: SC has MD twice & WM 4x, MD has SC & DN, DN has MD & WM.and WM has DN & SC 4x
                        Assuming WM remains hot and splits those 4 games with SC, and MD beats SC in their rematch then the DN - MD in Du match-up in Duluth might decide if either can catch SCl
                        That's a bit further out but if you just look at this weekend (here's what I think):
                        *WMU at SCSU - split
                        *UMD at Miami - split
                        *UND at UNO - split
                        Den at CC and CC at Den - DU sweep

Conference Standings:
                        SCSU - 27 pts
                        Den - 24
                        WMU - 23
                        UMD - 19
                        UND - 18
                        Miami - 15
                        UNO - 11
                        CC - 7

Then big games the following week with Den at WMU and SCSU at UND. Both Miami and UMD with good shots to sweep at home.

It's going to be interesting every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          Friday had SCSU playing better than UMD for the most of the game but Shepard and the defense prevented many goals. SCSU only goal was a beauty of a redirect tip. UMD burried there chances in a game that felt like they shouldn't have won.

Saturday UMD came out firing but it felt like they let off the gas a bit once they were up 2-0. SCSU scored twice late in the 1st and then never looked back. UMD had some chances but just couldn't see to bury them.

UMD needs alotta things to happen to win the Penrose this year. Plus Western and Denver are both better than we all thought and can make a push for the title. Disapointing but there's bigger fish to fry come March and April.
                          Ok, finally got to watch the replays last night. If you went by what the color guy on your TV broadcast had to say, UMD should have won by 15 goals each night. And every UMD penalty was highway robbery and they missed 100 calls on SCSU. I mean, man, they were just giving all the calls to SCSU. "But to their credit, they took advantage." Nice backhanded compliments. I've seen/heard homer announcers before but that guy took the cake. I know now not to ever have the sound on when he's calling a game.

What I saw... UMD is a really good team. Good size and speed, lots of skill and a really really good goalie. SCSU is a good team but struggles against teams that want to be more physical, especially on smaller rinks. Hrenak is good but man, he does make me worry more often than I would like. This formula works in the regular season but could lead to an early out for the Huskies in the NCAAs. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
                            Ok, finally got to watch the replays last night. If you went by what the color guy on your TV broadcast had to say, UMD should have won by 15 goals each night. And every UMD penalty was highway robbery and they missed 100 calls on SCSU. I mean, man, they were just giving all the calls to SCSU. "But to their credit, they took advantage." Nice backhanded compliments. I've seen/heard homer announcers before but that guy took the cake. I know now not to ever have the sound on when he's calling a game.

What I saw... UMD is a really good team. Good size and speed, lots of skill and a really really good goalie. SCSU is a good team but struggles against teams that want to be more physical, especially on smaller rinks. Hrenak is good but man, he does make me worry more often than I would like. This formula works in the regular season but could lead to an early out for the Huskies in the NCAAs. I hope I'm wrong.
                            While I agree, that announcer is a homer and is sometimes hard to listen to...man were the calls bad in those games. It was almost as frustrating as listening to him explain where Grandma keeps the cookies every time somebody scored. Like you said, UMD is a bigger and more physical team. Doesn't mean you need to call a penalty any time a larger defensemen touches a guy.

St. Cloud was about what I expected. Your top two lines are very good, I'd argue they're better than UMD's top two lines. UMD has much more depth across all four lines. UMD's defense is the better group but that's to be expected. St. Cloud's goalie I think surprised me the most, he'll keep you guys in most games. Honestly it's a pretty even matchup talent wise. Should be a fun race to the end here.
                            "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Remaining SOS (average current PWR ranking):

CC(37) - 9.9
                              Omaha(41) - 12.9
                              Miami(26) - 14.3
                              WMU(9) - 19.3
                              UND(23) - 19.6
                              SCSU(3) - 21.3
                              UMD(4) - 22.6
                              DU(2) - 25.3

Not a huge stretch to see this as the inverse of the final standings

r
                              Last edited by cetihcra; 01-18-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
                                That color analyst is just bad. I didn't watch the game via tv but listening the highlights he was nails on a chalkboard.
                                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X