Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
    Campus sites aren’t allowed to host regionals. Which is why UND bids Sioux Falls and Fargo instead of The Ralph. UND bids because they can take on the financial commitment and then they get the benefit of essentially a home rink advantage as long as they make the tournament regardless of their actual seed. Not sure how this creates a tournament that is fair to all who qualify. There is no easy solution because the financial piece of the equation is significant. The current setup works for the NCAA in that regard so for now, money, not fairness, rules.
    Let's face it, even if the St. Cloud MAC were to bid and host games, UND's fans would have the majority of seats. They simply have nothing else in town to occupy themselves.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Let's face it, even if the St. Cloud MAC were to bid and host games, UND's fans would have the majority of seats. They simply have nothing else in town to occupy themselves.
      I'll admit we haven't perfected the "get drunk at a campus party and stumble into the Mississippi" bit yet, but we'll work on it.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I'll admit we haven't perfected the "get drunk at a campus party and stumble into the Mississippi" bit yet, but we'll work on it.
        "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          Exactly. And the problem for hockey is there are no neutral site venues that are medium sized in conivient locations. Hence why Allentown is hosting a regional and why Compton hosted (no one else bid in that year). Midwest regionals are the biggest problem spot for neutral sites. The coaches decide what kind of venues can bid for regionals and they have no desire now to go back to college home sites.
          I've always thought Young Arena in Waterloo, IA would be a good spot for it. 3,000 seats, centrally located for Midwest.
          "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
            I've always thought Young Arena in Waterloo, IA would be a good spot for it. 3,000 seats, centrally located for Midwest.
            Regional host arenas must have at least 5,000 seats.

r

Comment

Plenty to do in GF. Hell they have an Olive Garden for cryin out loud
              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Absolutely. Need to have at least 2,000 empty seats for every regional. It would be silly not to.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                  Absolutely. Need to have at least 2,000 empty seats for every regional. It would be silly not to.
                  haha, true story! I'm just relaying facts

r

Comment

Originally posted by JAMIE44 View Post
                    Is anyone out there in NCHC land concerned that the midwest regional in Allentown PA could host four teams that could be Minn Duluth Arizona State Notre Dame and Ohio State
                    Seems to me it is time to move the midwest regional to the midwest like maybe Chicago or Minneapolis so that us fans in the west could actually attend the regional by driving
                    instead of flying to Philadelphia or New York
                    That would be perfect. Then we can knock out all the B1G teams from the tourney in one swoop. UMD is like 7-0 or something against Big 10 teams in the NCAA over the last few decades (granted, there were many years in the 90s-early 2000s UMD never made the tourney). Hockey East/ECAC teams and DU is a different story.. The majority of UMD fans are unlikely to travel more than a couple hours or out of state unless it were in Superior. I doubt Chicago or Pennsylvania would make much of a difference. For UND maybe, but they'll show up anywhere regardless.

When did they end on campus regional sites? I definitely remember UMD playing at Mariucci back in, idk 2009 or something.

Cloud town has more going on?
                    Last edited by UMD21; 02-01-2019, 10:44 AM.
                    I wanna go fast!

Comment

Also, isn't CC building a new, smaller rink? That would leave World Arena to be a pretty much ideal arena for regionals.
                      I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                        That would be perfect. Then we can knock out all the B1G teams from the tourney in one swoop. UMD is like 7-0 or something against Big 10 teams in the NCAA over the last few decades (granted, there were many years in the 90s-early 2000s UMD never made the tourney). Hockey East/ECAC teams and DU is a different story.. The majority of UMD fans are unlikely to travel more than a couple hours or out of state unless it were in Superior. I doubt Chicago or Pennsylvania would make much of a difference. For UND maybe, but they'll show up anywhere regardless.

When did they end on campus regional sites? I definitely remember UMD playing at Mariucci back in, idk 2009 or something.

Cloud town has more going on?
                        1992 was the first year they moved to off campus sites.

I'd like to see them move to conferences hosting the regionals and the highest seeded team getting placed in that regional. Just don't see that happening though. Money talks. Would really like to see them go to campus sites but just too many logistical challenges with that.

Comment

Conference race tightened up a bit with the SCSU split at The Ralph and both UMD and WMU sweeping their series last weekend. And yes, CC swept as well over a Miami team headed for the DOA pile.

And here we go, that leads to another big weekend in the NCHC. I like SCSU to sweep that falling Miami team at home (undefeated there this year), UMD sweeping at CC, Denver sweeping UND at home and WMU sweeping at UNO. Of those teams I'm predicting getting swept, I'd put UND as the highest chance of getting a win followed by a far more distant chance of CC and UNO getting it done.

Those results would keep the top of the conference race exactly the same with only 4 series left for each team.

Four teams in the top 10 of the Pairwise right now. With a Denver sweep, think they'd move us back to three #1 seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post

2015 was the last time it was hosted at a campus rink -- at Notre Dame. Prior to that, the 2009 West Regional was at Mariucci. 2008 had regionals at World Arena in COS, and at the Kohl Center.

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                              2015 was the last time it was hosted at a campus rink -- at Notre Dame. Prior to that, the 2009 West Regional was at Mariucci. 2008 had regionals at World Arena in COS, and at the Kohl Center.

r
                              I think 09 was the last year of on campus regionals.
                              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                I think 09 was the last year of on campus regionals.
                                They had regionals at the newly-opened Compton Family Arena at Notre Dame, in 2015. It meets the 5k requirement at least. ND did not qualify, and Omaha emerged from that Regional.

r

Comment

Working...
                                X