NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

It's always interesting to me seeing a team with a new coach do so well the following year. SCSU this year and UND in 2015-2016 are reminders of that.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
      That's the thing... According to our own players we weren't ready and a large reason why was the MN/Motzko distraction. He was mentally gone before that game ever started. So yeah... It's on Motzko.
      Convenient for a group of players who shiat the bed.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Convenient for a group of players who shiat the bed.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          A big problem for SCSU's tournament game last year is that we had a coach who didn't properly prepare his team, instead spending his time being interviewed by the U of M for their recently vacated HC position.

No, I'm not bitter at the time of that crap. Why do you ask?
          But look on the bright side, without him they may never won one NCAA game
          I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
            But look on the bright side, without him they may never won one NCAA game
            Bob served the school well for many years. We made it to the Frozen Four with him coaching, something Dahl could never do. That said, it's often how you exit that will leave the lasting impression. He checked out before his job was done when he had a very talented team on the ice.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              It's always interesting to me seeing a team with a new coach do so well the following year. SCSU this year and UND in 2015-2016 are reminders of that.
              Indeed. Denver also having a solid year with a new coach. On the SCSU front, will be very interested to see how the coming years are going to go when the recruits are all Larson's. We're going to lose quite a few big contributors after this year due to graduation for Schuldt, Newell and Jackson and Ryan Poehling likely going pro. And the converse of that is the Gophers are really struggling with their change. I do think they'll get better when it is Bob's recruits. Clearly more talent this year at SCSU than what Motzko inherited at Minnesota.

And yes, still ****ed about the last few blown tournaments by the Huskies. Hoping Larson leads them out of that this year.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I'm not going to put last year on Motzko leaving. College hockey is a different beast from pretty much all other college sports. There just isn't much difference between a team that is the "best" in the country and the team that is say fifteenth best. That's why in the last five years, since reorganization of the conferences, we've seen the #1 seed in each regional upset eight times in its first round game. That's 40%. And that includes two number one overall seeds.

Every team, no matter how highly seeded, needs to be ready to go from the first drop of the puck, and needs a little luck. You give an underdog life in a tournament like that and the next thing you know it's game over.
                Can agree with most of what you are saying but two of those eight are from SCSU. And from watching the games, they didn't show up until it was too late both times. One thing to outplay an inferior opponent (make no mistake, Air Force and Ferris were decidedly inferior) and have a couple bounces go against you and another to come out of the gate sluggish and never really get going. Against Air Force, the Motzko to Minnesota effect was clearly there. Ferris was just a lack of preparedness.

Comment

Is anyone out there in NCHC land concerned that the midwest regional in Allentown PA could host four teams that could be Minn Duluth Arizona State Notre Dame and Ohio State
                  Seems to me it is time to move the midwest regional to the midwest like maybe Chicago or Minneapolis so that us fans in the west could actually attend the regional by driving
                  instead of flying to Philadelphia or New York

Comment

Originally posted by JAMIE44 View Post
                    Is anyone out there in NCHC land concerned that the midwest regional in Allentown PA could host four teams that could be Minn Duluth Arizona State Notre Dame and Ohio State
                    Seems to me it is time to move the midwest regional to the midwest like maybe Chicago or Minneapolis so that us fans in the west could actually attend the regional by driving
                    All depends on who bids.
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

It's hard when Midwest venues like Toledo, Grand Rapids and Cincinnati have had brutal attendance. So now nobody bids. The X was a good venue albeit too big and now Sioux Falls and Fargo are quality venues (even if Fargo is too small) so they will be the West Regionals.

It's tough but players have to know they'll be playing in an empty venue with no atmosphere. I do not want the sport to go back to bidded home campus sites but don't think any alternative is feasible at this time.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Biddco's right. To my knowledge there aren't any other teams at the moment who are actively bidding on hosting regionals other than North Dakota and Penn State. Brown bids to host in Providence, but lets be honest, Brown isn't making the NCAA's regularly. I think Sioux Falls was a good location last year and it was a good size arena that mostly filled up, even without the green army of Sioux fans there. There's other teams that could bid to be the host team in SF too - Mankato, St Cloud, and Omaha are all close enough to be host teams. There's really no reason to not give a bid to UND as the host team though. Their fan base puts people in the seats and they make the tournament almost every season. Home venues are too big of an advantage and NHL size arenas are too big for a regional.

Comment

Well Denver (Magnus) Notre Dame (Compton), Michigan (Yost) even WMU (Lawson) or Minnesota (Marriuci) are certainly large enough and close enough To Detroit,, Chicago,, Minneapolis and would draw a lot more fans not only for the regional but for general fan interest in college hockey.
                          Providence is not specifically yet home ice and they seem to move the Friars
                          to Providence whenever they can

Just my opinion but I think The NCHC and B10 should convince one of their teams to host the midwest every other year

Comment

Well Denver (Magnus) Notre Dame (Compton), Michigan (Yost) even WMU (Lawson) or Minnesota (Marriuci) are certainly large enough and close enough To Detroit,, Chicago,, Minneapolis and would draw a lot more fans not only for the regional but for general fan interest in college hockey.
                            Providence is not specifically yet home ice and they seem to move the Friars
                            to Providence whenever they can

Just my opinion but I think The NCHC and B10 should convince one of their teams to host the midwest every other year
                            Those are home sites which are not allowed to host regionals.
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                              Home venues are too big of an advantage and NHL size arenas are too big for a regional.
                              Exactly. And the problem for hockey is there are no neutral site venues that are medium sized in conivient locations. Hence why Allentown is hosting a regional and why Compton hosted (no one else bid in that year). Midwest regionals are the biggest problem spot for neutral sites. The coaches decide what kind of venues can bid for regionals and they have no desire now to go back to college home sites.
                              tUMD Hockey

Comment

Campus sites aren’t allowed to host regionals. Which is why UND bids Sioux Falls and Fargo instead of The Ralph. UND bids because they can take on the financial commitment and then they get the benefit of essentially a home rink advantage as long as they make the tournament regardless of their actual seed. Not sure how this creates a tournament that is fair to all who qualify. There is no easy solution because the financial piece of the equation is significant. The current setup works for the NCAA in that regard so for now, money, not fairness, rules.
                                Last edited by SCSU BlackandRed; 01-30-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X