NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Okay, I didn’t see something right away when I searched, but…

What’s the story on the new arena for CC? Evidently it’s going to be only a 3,000 seater?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      Okay, I didn’t see something right away when I searched, but…

What’s the story on the new arena for CC? Evidently it’s going to be only a 3,000 seater?
      Yeah, 3000-3500 max capacity. JLG Architects out of MSP is working on it. It's kinda crazy to think of eliminating half of the season ticket holder population, but given the size of the school and the available land, I guess this makes some sense?

Here's the latest presentation.

Breaking ground in early 2020, with a fall 2021 completion expected.

r

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        You actually think we were beaten by AIC because they somehow exposed our lack of depth...lack of strong D and lack of goaltending?
        That isn't why we lost. We lost because they played tight knowing a loss meant 0-3. It's all in their heads not a lack of talent.
        You have your opinion...but us losing doesn't make you right.
        So, if weeks ago when this discussion happened, if I would have said, "St. Cloud is going to lose because they can't win in the playoffs" you would have been all "YUP! YOU'RE RIGHT!". That's crap. You would have told me none of that stuff matters, this is a new year, yada yada. Yes, of course I had it in my mind that if St. Cloud lost in the playoffs, it'd have a lot to do with the proverbial monkey that you can't seem to get off your backs. But that isn't an argument, it's subjective. That's the nice thing about stats, they don't tend to lie. And the stats told me at that point in the season that UMD had stronger goaltending and defense. In my mind, those things win championships, not having 10 guys with more than 30 points or whatever you had. Your team scored points, lots of them. If you played all season the way you did for the first 10 minutes of the NCHC Championship game, you would have given the Minnesota Wild a run for their money (not saying much now). But I had an assumption that bubble would pop come playoff time, at which point you'd need to fall back on...goaltending and defense. I feared those areas weren't strong enough WITH bad luck/jinx to keep SCSU afloat.

We all do better when SCSU is competitive. I don't want to see you fail. But Motzko kept building the same types of teams, and kept getting the same type of results. I'm hoping Larson will build off the offenses that Motzko had and bring a more team defense mentality to the program. He does, and we won't be having these conversations in April. You'll be heading to the Frozen Four.
        "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

The reduced capacity is definitely a big surprise.
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Originally posted by dogs2012 View Post
            So, if weeks ago when this discussion happened, if I would have said, "St. Cloud is going to lose because they can't win in the playoffs" you would have been all "YUP! YOU'RE RIGHT!". That's crap. You would have told me none of that stuff matters, this is a new year, yada yada. Yes, of course I had it in my mind that if St. Cloud lost in the playoffs, it'd have a lot to do with the proverbial monkey that you can't seem to get off your backs. But that isn't an argument, it's subjective. That's the nice thing about stats, they don't tend to lie. And the stats told me at that point in the season that UMD had stronger goaltending and defense. In my mind, those things win championships, not having 10 guys with more than 30 points or whatever you had. Your team scored points, lots of them. If you played all season the way you did for the first 10 minutes of the NCHC Championship game, you would have given the Minnesota Wild a run for their money (not saying much now). But I had an assumption that bubble would pop come playoff time, at which point you'd need to fall back on...goaltending and defense. I feared those areas weren't strong enough WITH bad luck/jinx to keep SCSU afloat.

We all do better when SCSU is competitive. I don't want to see you fail. But Motzko kept building the same types of teams, and kept getting the same type of results. I'm hoping Larson will build off the offenses that Motzko had and bring a more team defense mentality to the program. He does, and we won't be having these conversations in April. You'll be heading to the Frozen Four.
            Love how you put words in my mouth...
            Id have said we need to win game one and we are capable of doing so if we can get over the mental hurdle. We didn't...And it wasn't because of the depth or talent or even recruiting or coaching. It was mental...
            I'll give you better goaltending because Shepard is a stud...but that's it. If you need to feel UMD is so much deeper at every position...do so. I honestly don't care what your opinion of us is. But if you are so smart with your predictions...you really shouldnt be wasting your time spouting off on a message board.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Ok, I'm going to chime in on the St Cloud loss-related conversation. Their overall defense this year was a lot better than it was when Bob was the coach. That was a result of Larson's integration from UMD. I think it was a top 10 team defense (and maybe top 5). So the issue wasn't defense. We already know the offense wasn't a problem (until you only score 1 goal) because their body of work this season showed how many goals they regularly scored, even against good teams. Goaltending? I don't think anyone would say that Hrenak is a sieve or Hunter Shepard is worse. The stats don't back up either one of those. The goaltending against AIC was not very good though. The 2 goals they scored were weak. The first one was a bank in and the second one was a leaker. However, they did hit a post and had a goal disallowed after the horn, so maybe that balances it out. UMD knows how to win these late season, low-scoring, one goal games. St Cloud does not. St Cloud is not built to play like that. This time of year you HAVE to play defense first. All of these teams are so close in parity now and the games are on a smaller sheet of ice. Until they learn how to do that, nothing is going to change. They'll continue to rack up wins at home on the big sheet and build a nice looking regular season resume and then take the risk of another early exit in the NCAAs.

Comment

Talk about overanalysis.

SCSU CHOKED and played like **** in an extremely winnable game, in a tournament where one bad game knocks you out. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                  UMD knows how to win these late season, low-scoring, one goal games. St Cloud does not. St Cloud is not built to play like that. This time of year you HAVE to play defense first.
                  Literally my entire point in four sentences. Thanks.

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Talk about overanalysis.

SCSU CHOKED and played like **** in an extremely winnable game, in a tournament where one bad game knocks you out. That's it.
                  Thing is...UMD played like **** against Bowling Green in our first game too. But strong team defense and goaltending kept us in it until our legs got under us.
                  Last edited by dogs2012; 04-04-2019, 04:41 PM.
                  "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Thing is...UMD played like **** against Bowling Green in our first game too. But strong team defense and goaltending kept us in it until our legs got under us.
                    So we give up 2 you give up 1...but you have strong defense and goaltending and we don't...
                    Yeah makes sense...
                    "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                    -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                    Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                    Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                    Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                    Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I was happy with our first period which is good given how bad the first tends to be for the Dogs. But when they fell behind and the game was winding down, they were not giving me much feeling that they would tie it back up. Even in the championship vs Denver in ‘17 you knew they were coming back and could win it, was just a race against the clock which just ran out. They needed the luck vs BGSU
                      I wanna go fast!

Comment

I think I am going to vomit.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/04/13/i-d...s-fenton-says/
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Except I am happy for Duluth. Western Bias.
                          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                          X