Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
    They had regionals at the newly-opened Compton Family Arena at Notre Dame, in 2015. It meets the 5k requirement at least. ND did not qualify, and Omaha emerged from that Regional.

r
    Yes but with an asterisk because they simply had no one else bid on regionals that year.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
      Cloud town has more going on?
      No, not much else; I'm not trying to delude anybody. However, St. Cloud isn't that far from the Twin Cities.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        No, not much else; I'm not trying to delude anybody. However, St. Cloud isn't that far from the Twin Cities.
        But if you took SCSU and it’s population and moved it to Grand Forks location, it still wouldn’t fill a 12k arena. They have the culture every other program wishes they had (but nobody is jealous of North Dakota living). Hockey in North Dakota is like football in America. It’s just the thing to do. People who hate football still go to Superbowl parties.
        I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
          But if you took SCSU and it’s population and moved it to Grand Forks location, it still wouldn’t fill a 12k arena. They have the culture every other program wishes they had (but nobody is jealous of North Dakota living). Hockey in North Dakota is like football in America. It’s just the thing to do. People who hate football still go to Superbowl parties.
          Exactly. For UMD, many of the students go to the school for the aesthetics and to do outdoor activities. Many go to St. Cloud so they can be close to home. They aren't choosing those schools because of their hockey program. If you're not trying to be a pilot, there's a good chance hockey was a big factor in why you chose UND. So it makes sense their fan base is the way it is. It's like Cornhusker football in Nebraska.
          "In heaven there is no beer. NO BEER! That's why we drink it here. RIGHT HERE!"

Comment

Well, only SCSU and Denver (mostly) held up their end of the bargain last weekend. Surprising loss by UMD Friday night and then WMU Saturday night.

Quiet weekend on tap this week. While I know CC is playing better, I just don't see them winning in St. Cloud. 12-0 at the Brooks Center this year. They looked "ok" in a 5-1 win over Miami on Friday and looked pretty freaking unreal on Saturday night winning by the same score. Foot was on the throat the whole night. Might have been their best game of the year. A sweep this weekend won't lock up the conference mathematically but it's going to put it into pretty close to impossible to overcome for the rest of the league. Again, the question is how will they do in the NCAA's without the big sheet they have at home. Just hasn't gone well in the past. In the other series, I think a split is likely between UNO at Miami.

The NCHC still has 4 teams in the dance and it doesn't look like any are going to fall out of the top 12. Currently one #1 seed in SCSU and still think UMD will move into a #1 as well. Maybe Denver can move up as well but they'll need a sweep at UMD next weekend (most likely) to make that happen. They'll be favored in their remaining games so there's a shot.

Comment

Nice little comeback for a huge 3 points.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                Nice little comeback for a huge 3 points.
                That went from a lost weekend to ok, we’ll take that just like that. Shouldn’t have come to that but I’ll give major props to the boys for not quitting. And CC is definitely better than their record shows but not to the point where you should need to comeback against them two nights in a row. At home.

Comment

Penrose race is over. UMD nor WMU will overcome SCSU's 13 point lead. Only drama that remains is who will place second and will UND not get home ice? This year feels like the year UND not only doesn't get home ice but they don't make the conference tournament. It's gotta be a long time since they've done that.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Not over yet. SCSU has played 2 more games than those behind them. Sweeps by UMD or DU or WMU keep it within range another weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU BlackandRed View Post
                      Not over yet. SCSU has played 2 more games than those behind them. Sweeps by UMD or DU or WMU keep it within range another weekend.
                      Technically yes, but realisitically no. SCSU would have do worse than a split the rest of the way while WMU or UMD would have to win every game.
                      tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        Technically yes, but realisitically no. SCSU would have do worse than a split the rest of the way while WMU or UMD would have to win every game.
                        Close to that, yes. But with having to go to OT twice with CC at home, nothing is a given. I'll feel a lot more confident in two weekends if they take care of business at UNO.

To your earlier post, the rest of the conference race is going to be interesting. I think we're looking at UND at Denver in round one. I just don't see UND getting a couple of weekend sweeps, which is what it will take for them to move up to home ice. Didn't get to see their actual games this weekend but the score and summaries indicate they were tight out in Denver. I could see either team winning that series in the tourney. But if they don't, man it's going to be a lot quieter in St. Paul in March than usual.

Comment

I agree with that assessment. Its going to take a collapse by St Cloud for them not to win the Penrose (again). If UND does not qualify for home ice, and/or does not qualify for the Frozen Faceoff, I am fearful that attendance is really going to suffer both in terms of a first round playoff series and at Xcel. The question is, will most UND fans still show up in St Paul even if UND is not playing there? This is unfamiliar territory dating even back to the old WCHA days.

Comment

Lol *** it wasn’t long ago SCSU fans (or at least one) were saying the NCHC title was locked up, now they’re not?
                            Looks very likely it will be a DU-UND first round. DU could make NCAA regardless but would be a great series I might have to try to make a game if it’s in Denver. Still need to make a game at RE
                            I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
                              I agree with that assessment. Its going to take a collapse by St Cloud for them not to win the Penrose (again). If UND does not qualify for home ice, and/or does not qualify for the Frozen Faceoff, I am fearful that attendance is really going to suffer both in terms of a first round playoff series and at Xcel. The question is, will most UND fans still show up in St Paul even if UND is not playing there? This is unfamiliar territory dating even back to the old WCHA days.
                              I'd say UND fans will make up most of the fans but there will be far less fans without UND. If UND makes the Frozen Faceoff is the most interesting thing to me from the NCHC Playoffs.
                              tUMD Hockey

Comment

I am not convinced DU finishes fourth. They may only have three games left at home but their final 7 games are all against the bottom three teams in the conference. If they can split in Duluth I think they could definitely crack the top three.
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X