Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post

I doubt they’ll make the same mistake two years in a row. And I do think it’s fair to blame Motzko for already being focused on moving on. But if a team from the Big 10 beats SCSU, does that automatically make B1G the power conference?
    Larson has given them a new mentality and they always find a way to win. They'll make the Frozen Four for sure and I believe they'll win it all this year. Just such a good team.

Great atmosphere at the games with playoff intensity. I'm just really bummed UMD couldn't get a split. Pretty frustrating although some people were saying it would cost them a 1 seed but for now they remain 4th overall.

I have a feeling these teams will meet at least once maybe twice more. Hopefully UMD can get a win in one of those soon....
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
      Larson has given them a new mentality and they always find a way to win. They'll make the Frozen Four for sure and I believe they'll win it all this year. Just such a good team.

Great atmosphere at the games with playoff intensity. I'm just really bummed UMD couldn't get a split. Pretty frustrating although some people were saying it would cost them a 1 seed but for now they remain 4th overall.

I have a feeling these teams will meet at least once maybe twice more. Hopefully UMD can get a win in one of those soon....
      Man, I hope you are right. One. Just want one. Being a Huskies fan and a Minnesota Vikings fan isn't an easy task.

I do think we're going to see at least one rematch between these two teams.

I haven't run the Pairwise calculators yet but just eyeballing it, if UMD sweeps their series this weekend and then gets one more win in St. Paul, they should be a lock for a #1 seed. Probably stuck at #4 overall now unless Mankato loses this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
        Man, I hope you are right. One. Just want one. Being a Huskies fan and a Minnesota Vikings fan isn't an easy task.

I haven't run the Pairwise calculators yet but just eyeballing it, if UMD sweeps their series this weekend and then gets one more win in St. Paul, they should be a lock for a #1 seed. Probably stuck at #4 overall now unless Mankato loses this weekend.
        Curious about what Kato needs to do, I messed around with the Pairwise a little bit, and if we don't sweep LSSU, we likely drop to #5, in the event of Q and UMD sweeps. We can get to #4 with Gopher and NoDak wins, but I think if UMD and Q sweep, we need to sweep to stay in the top 4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post

I will trade you: you can get a win in person in St. Paul, we will take the win in Buffalo.

Also: thanks for keeping Mitch alive this weekend
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowerConference View Post
            I don't see Miami or Omaha upsetting either of these teams in the playoffs next weekend. I actually have a hard time seeing either one of them forcing a third game. Especially whoever has to go to St Cloud. They went 15-0-1 at home this season. The only blemish was a 2-2 tie against CC (which St Cloud won in 3 on 3 OT). It would be a pretty massive disappointment if St Cloud does not make the frozen four this season at minimum. How many times are they going to put together these ridiculous regular seasons and then fall flat in the big dance? It can't keep happening, can it?
            The problem is that a one a done format requires luck. The best team doesn't always win. Heck, even in a seven game NHL playoff series you'll hear commentators talking about how one team got all the "puck luck" and wouldn't have won without it. If that's true for the NHL, then it's exponentially more true for the NCAA Championship.

That being said, it's the format everybody abides by. It takes getting there as often as possible, playing as hard as you can, and getting the bounces when necessary. Will I be disappointed if the Huskies don't win? Of course, but I'm not going to default claim it was a letdown. If they get outworked, out shot, and give up a ton of breakaways, then clearly it was a letdown. If the other team wins with a massive amount of luck, then the Huskies just need to get back on their horse and make the tourney again next year.

In short, I'm convinced the Huskies are the best team in the country, but I'm not convinced the best team in the country ALWAYS wins the last four games of the season. Last year the 13th best team heading into the tournament won their last four games (so we stole their assistant coach).
            scsuhockey.com
            CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              I will trade you: you can get a win in person in St. Paul, we will take the win in Buffalo.

Also: thanks for keeping Mitch alive this weekend
              A single win in Buffalo for a single win in St. Paul? Gee I don't know.

I am a little surprised Mitch didn't die this weekend.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post

That's brutal...being a UMD fan has made my sports life very happy. Even the Vikings blowing games doesn't bother me like they used too.

I might run some Pairwise calculations to see what happens but I think UMD holds onto a 1 seed. Which I think is crucial because they should want an easier matchup and avoid being put in Fargo.

As for the NCHC playoffs the most interesting one to me is DU and UND. Both teams struggle to score and UND has done well when playing for their season. CC and WMU is interesting as I think they can pull of the upset. SCSU will sweep Miami and UMD will do the same to UNO.
                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  That's brutal...being a UMD fan has made my sports life very happy. Even the Vikings blowing games doesn't bother me like they used too.

I might run some Pairwise calculations to see what happens but I think UMD holds onto a 1 seed. Which I think is crucial because they should want an easier matchup and avoid being put in Fargo.

As for the NCHC playoffs the most interesting one to me is DU and UND. Both teams struggle to score and UND has done well when playing for their season. CC and WMU is interesting as I think they can pull of the upset. SCSU will sweep Miami and UMD will do the same to UNO.
                  The 4-5 series is the most intriguing followed by 3-6 being a good one and then the 1-8 and 2-7 will not be? Way to go out on a limb.

While I was actually hoping to root against Denver but right now since I don't think there is any way they don't make it, I'd love to see them take care of UND by Saturday to drop North Dakota out of the whole thing and leave St. Cloud the automatic route to Fargo. I'm just hoping DU doesn't go to Fargo as well. Wouldn't mind seeing CC upset Western and put their NCAA tournament chances in peril. Hoping UNO can at least make it competitive in Duluth and steal a game, got a buddy on the Mavericks and its been hard for those guys this year, I know if they make a series out of it I think it helps how the season looks at the end and maybe helps keep him around at UNO and not going pro.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

The 4-5 series is the most intriguing followed by 3-6 being a good one and then the 1-8 and 2-7 will not be? Way to go out on a limb.
                    Because CC is gonna be facinating to watch and UND and DU total goal series is gonna be like 5 in three games.
                    tUMD Hockey

Comment

Wouldn't mind seeing CC upset Western and put their NCAA tournament chances in peril. .
                      What did we ever do to you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by ubish View Post
                        What did we ever do to you guys?
                        WMU got blasted 8-2 in the Saturday game because they quit when we rallied from behind Friday night. Who wants quitters in the tournament?
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

IMO WMU has been *** blasted out of the tournament a few too many times. I’d like to see them reap a little more out of the perennial upset threat they’ve been. UND needs a wake up call but I do feel for the NCHC FF attendance sans North Dakota. Would be an amazing upset story if CC somehow made it
                          I wanna go fast!

Comment

My wife and I bought the $55 ticket package specifically because we're expecting UND to get bounced and for all the empty seats to be made available to whomever.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                              IMO WMU has been *** blasted out of the tournament a few too many times. I’d like to see them reap a little more out of the perennial upset threat they’ve been. UND needs a wake up call but I do feel for the NCHC FF attendance sans North Dakota. Would be an amazing upset story if CC somehow made it
                              WMU is going to have to win that fist NCAA game sometime. I think if we can get there this year, we have the team to make a run.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                Curious about what Kato needs to do, I messed around with the Pairwise a little bit, and if we don't sweep LSSU, we likely drop to #5, in the event of Q and UMD sweeps. We can get to #4 with Gopher and NoDak wins, but I think if UMD and Q sweep, we need to sweep to stay in the top 4.
                                I think you're looking for a sweep this weekend (forgot the format is a best of three in the semis) and then avoid Bowling Green in the finals just to be safe. Think your comparison win flips to a loss with a head-to-head loss there. Not 100% sure but it looks like a loss in the finals to Northern really wouldn't hurt your positioning. Also cheer against Quinnipiac for further buffer.

Comment

Working...
                                X