• Show
Clear All

• Re: NCHC 2018-2019 Season: Quest to put 4+ into Late March-April Dance

Three weeks left in the regular season. Here we go. I'm thinking:

WMU @ CC (split)
    Miami @ Denver (DU sweep)
    UMD @ UND (split)
    SCSU @ UNO (SCSU sweep)

SCSU locks up the Penrose. Race for spots #2-4 tightens. UND not mathematically out of home ice potential, but the reality of that is getting closer.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSUBlackandRed View Post
      You might not, but I still will. That series was at the beginning of a 15 game winless streak for Miami. Also included in that streak was a weekend where SCSU completely dominated Miami and swept. The win that broke that streak came against conference powerhouse UNO. Yeah that UNO. The one SCSU swept even more handily than the Miami sweep. Their split with WMU is pretty much their only notable accomplishment this year. They got hammered by UMD as well so that's a bit of an offset. Not exactly impressed by them splitting with ASU, really their only good accomplishment in non-conference play.

While I want to see six strong periods every weekend out, they aren't going to need it to sweep UNO again. Especially coming off a week of rest. The only way they don't get six points this weekend is if they are completely and totally flat. If that happens, maybe this team isn't one that should be challenging for a third Penrose in six years, the number one overall seed for the second year in a row and hopefully a real run at their first National Championship.
      So if St. Cloud take 4 or 5 points, you're predicting they lose the Penrose and don't make the Frozen Four? Because that's kinda what it looks like you're saying.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        So if St. Cloud take 4 or 5 points, you're predicting they lose the Penrose and don't make the Frozen Four? Because that's kinda what it looks like you're saying.
        Nah, but I see how you could get that from my post. Meant more that this team should EXPECT to take 6 points from a team like UNO at this point. If they aren't going in there with that attitude, then we've got problems. Anything can happen, it's hockey. But you better fully expect to beat up on a team like UNO. Yes, you need to play well but it isn't going to take a perfect game from the Huskies. They better be focused on closing it out (with just a little help needed) this weekend.

Comment

The race for the Penrose is over. St. Cloud is 9-1-2 in conference play and our next four series are against the bottom 4 teams in the conference. We might have it sewn up with two weekends to play.
          Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          🧐✍️📝
          😎
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

To only have 2 regulation losses in that conference at this point in the season is impressive.

Comment

Meh.
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Next weekends UMD-SCSU matchup will be great. Great practice for the tournament. Wish the NCAA tournament was right after, the tourney would almost be relatively easy in comparison to next weekend. Wish I could be there, hopefully it’s raucous
                I wanna go fast!

Comment

It's gonna be a great series. Wish there was more on the line but both teams are gonna be jacked for this series. Can't wait for Friday.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

It's gonna be a great series. Wish there was more on the line but both teams are gonna be jacked for this series. Can't wait for Friday.
                    Still a lot to play for. A UMD sweep brings getting the #1 seed in Fargo into play. Split probably puts SCSU there and UMD as a #1 out east. Split or better also locks in 2nd place for UMD over Denver. Miami or UNO far more preferable 1st round opponent than CC.

And I'm just excited to see how these two teams match up heading into the tournament. The earlier series was pretty entertaining, expecting the same this time around.

In the other games, lots of intrigue there as well. WMU needs to bounce back with a win to lock UND out of home ice. Denver needs a win to stay in at least 3rd and of course they are pushing to move up to 2nd with a sweep and some help.

Comment

Happy to see the boys took the "beat the crap out of the lesser team" route in beating UNO. Great comeback on Friday night against a good WMU team and then absolutely slammed the foot down on the accelerator Saturday night. They are definitely rolling which is the perfect time to face a team like UMD. Great opponent and will not allow for overconfidence or a subpar effort to deliver a win. And I'll bet they'd rather go to Fargo than go anywhere else to start the NCAAs.

Comment

Still a lot to play for. A UMD sweep brings getting the #1 seed in Fargo into play. Split probably puts SCSU there and UMD as a #1 out east. Split or better also locks in 2nd place for UMD over Denver. Miami or UNO far more preferable 1st round opponent than CC.

And I'm just excited to see how these two teams match up heading into the tournament. The earlier series was pretty entertaining, expecting the same this time around.

In the other games, lots of intrigue there as well. WMU needs to bounce back with a win to lock UND out of home ice. Denver needs a win to stay in at least 3rd and of course they are pushing to move up to 2nd with a sweep and some help.
                        I don't think UMD can pass SCSU in the pairwise with a sweep, SCSU's RPI lead it to high. I think it would only be possible with a sweep, and another UMD win in the NCHC tourney to flip the comparison.
                        Originally posted by Mankato student
                        Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                        "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                        -- Peter Klein

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
                          I don't think UMD can pass SCSU in the pairwise with a sweep, SCSU's RPI lead it to high. I think it would only be possible with a sweep, and another UMD win in the NCHC tourney to flip the comparison.
                          Correct. SCSU will be the #1 team in PWR after this weekend regardless of outcome. NCHC playoff results could move them out of the #1 overall spot, but it would be difficult.
                          scsuhockey.com
                          CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

I wish had a better grasp on how RPI is calculated because I just assumed if UMD wins the PWR comparison over SCSU they'd leapfrog them. But good points about how high their RPI is. Would need three more wins to jump them...that's not happening.
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

I wish had a better grasp on how RPI is calculated because I just assumed if UMD wins the PWR comparison over SCSU they'd leapfrog them. But good points about how high their RPI is. Would need three more wins to jump them...that's not happening.
                              That's what I meant by a UMD sweep would bring the #1 seed and Fargo into play. The only way I can see for UMD to flip the comparison is to take the 2 games this weekend and then beat SCSU in the finals or 3rd place game (only two places they could meet). I don't even think a UMD sweep this weekend and a two game bomb out by SCSU vs. UNO or Miami would drop their RPI far enough for UMD to overtake them. Would need that potential head-to-head playoff game to enable the possibility.

Honestly, I'm seeing a split this weekend and both SCSU and UMD moving on from their first round matchups. Could meet in the finals but it won't impact PWR.

Comment

That's what I meant by a UMD sweep would bring the #1 seed and Fargo into play. The only way I can see for UMD to flip the comparison is to take the 2 games this weekend and then beat SCSU in the finals or 3rd place game (only two places they could meet). I don't even think a UMD sweep this weekend and a two game bomb out by SCSU vs. UNO or Miami would drop their RPI far enough for UMD to overtake them. Would need that potential head-to-head playoff game to enable the possibility.

Honestly, I'm seeing a split this weekend and both SCSU and UMD moving on from their first round matchups. Could meet in the finals but it won't impact PWR.
                                Agreed on all points. I'm just looking forward to getting there before the snow hits and for some good hockey.
                                tUMD Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X