Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 18-19 season

Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    Let's talk after the home and home with Gustavus; two Tommies wins will make them #1 in next week's polls.
    I seriously doubt it. Gustavus is not as strong as they used to be when they used to win the MIAC regularly, and they're not as strong has those top Eastern teams. A St Thomas sweep will not put them in the number one spot.

Re: D3 18-19 season

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Gustavus is not as strong as they used to be when they used to win the MIAC regularly
    Gustavus has won or shared the MIAC title the last two years and three of the last four. That seems like "regularly".
    If St Thomas is the only undefeated team, they should be #1. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJM View Post
    Gustavus has won or shared the MIAC title the last two years and three of the last four. That seems like "regularly".
    Except none of those MIAC teams are as good as those eastern powers, simpleton. In general a western team, any western team, needs to win a national championship before it can legitimately be talked about in the same breath as those eastern teams. How many years has it been since a western team won it all? Oh ya, never! And believe me I have rooted for them to knock off the eastern teams to win it all because I'm bored seeing the same teams win the title all the time. They just haven't been able to do it. That makes the weekly poll discussion something of a moot point. (Those that know me know I like to stir things up a bit and I'm home sick in bed today so take it all with a grain of salt.....or two. )
    Last edited by shelfit; 01-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Except none of those MIAC teams are as good as those eastern powers, simpleton. In general a western team, any western team, needs to win a national championship before it can legitimately be talked about in the same breath as those eastern teams. How many years has it been since a western team won it all? Oh ya, never! And believe me I have rooted for them to knock off the eastern teams to win it all because I'm bored seeing the same teams win the title all the time. They just haven't been able to do it. That makes the weekly poll discussion something of a moot point. (Those that know me know I like to stir things up a bit and I'm home sick in bed today so take it all with a grain of salt.....or two. )
    Hamline did beat the four-time defending national champions last year...

Iím not saying St. Thomas is the best team in the country but if they sweep Gustavus, they absolutely have a claim to the No. 1 spot as the lone undefeated team remaining.

Letís remember as good as Elmira looked this weekend and believe me they looked VERY good, they also lost to Williams, who well having a good year, is not generally regarded among then eastern elite.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 01-09-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Hamline did beat the four-time defending national champions last year...

Iím not saying St. Thomas is the best team in the country but if they sweep Gustavus, they absolutely have a claim to the No. 1 spot as the lone undefeated team remaining.

Letís remember as good as Elmira looked this weekend and believe they looked VERY good, they also lost to Williams, who well having a good year, is not generally regarded among then eastern elite.
    Even a blind squirrel...

Quote Originally Posted by KWJM View Post
    Um, no.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Um, no.
    You got some splainin to do Lucy.....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    You got some splainin to do Lucy.....LOL
    Um, no.

St. Thomas, at home, defeated Gustavus 3-1, on 13 shots and surviving 1:40 defending 5x3 to open the 3rd. Rematch at Gustavus this afternoon. Any western witnesses?

Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    St. Thomas, at home, defeated Gustavus 3-1, on 13 shots and surviving 1:40 defending 5x3 to open the 3rd. Rematch at Gustavus this afternoon. Any western witnesses?
    Neither of these two teams sounds worthy of a #1 ranking. Lol.

26 game unbeaten streak for the Toms Shel.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie44 View Post
    26 game unbeaten streak for the Toms Shel.
    They would have been #1 if I had a vote before yesterdayís win, a tie or a win today only reaffirms it more.

They would have been #1 if I had a vote before yesterdayís win, a tie or a win today only reaffirms it more.
    Gusties 2 Tommies 0 after 2
    Last edited by Birdwatcher; 01-12-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    Gusties 2 Tommies 0 after 2
    2 -2 Final
    4 & 20 The All-American Sister's
    SNC 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, & 2018 Mens DIII NCAA Champions & they have Women's Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by 4and20 View Post
    2 -2 Final
    No. 1 in my book. Nice third period comeback against a top-10 team on the road. 13-0-1 with a 2-0-1 record vs. top-10 ranked teams.

Should be in good shape to roll for the rest of January and then they have to go to River Falls and then close the regular season with a home and home vs. Hamline. Three huge games for the Tommies.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

No. 1 in my book.
    Never is a top western team #1 in my book. Weaker opponents. Weaker schedule. No comparison to the top eastern teams. Not until they find a way to break through and finally win the one game that means anything.

Never is a top western team #1 in my book. Weaker opponents. Weaker schedule. No comparison to the top eastern teams. Not until they find a way to break through and finally win the one game that means anything.
    Generally fair assessment given D3 womenís hockey history. However, I feel the Western teams have closed the gap in recent years. Hamline, Adrian, River Falls and Gustavus Adolphus have all picked up wins over top Eastern teams in the last 3-4 years.

Undefeated is undefeated in this case. If Plattsburgh or elmira had one loss, Iím still voting for the Eastern team. But, with two Iím giving the nod to the unbeaten team.

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Generally fair assessment given D3 womenís hockey history. However, I feel the Western teams have closed the gap in recent years. Hamline, Adrian, River Falls and Gustavus Adolphus have all picked up wins over top Eastern teams in the last 3-4 years.
    There is a reason that Adrian is coming east two weekends every year now.

Undefeated is undefeated in this case. If Plattsburgh or elmira had one loss, Iím still voting for the Eastern team. But, with two Iím giving the nod to the unbeaten team.
    That said, I agree with Derek here. St. Thomas is #1 to me until someone beats them.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    There is a reason that Adrian is coming east two weekends every year now.
    Gotta play the cream of the crop to be the best in the end. Adrian also has very friendly travel budget to be able to fund these trips. Something not all Division III schools have the luxury to do even if they wanted to.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

d3hockey.com is first to post their poll for 1/14.

# School (1st votes) Prev.
    1 Elmira (10) 1
    2 Plattsburgh State (2) 2
    3 St. Thomas (2) 3
    4 Norwich 4
    5 Adrian (1) 5
    6 UW-River Falls 6
    7 Hamline 7
    8 Middlebury 8
    9 Gustavus Adolphus 9
    10 UW-Eau Claire 10

Dropped Out: None

Others receiving votes: Williams 7, Trinity 3, Suffolk 1, Utica 1

I may personally be among others who think St. Thomas should be ranked 1st, but I understand the reasoning. What I don't understand why Trinity is receiving votes...
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 01-14-2019 at 12:23 PM.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Thread Information