D3 18-19 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by spwood View Post
    Pretty disgusting to screw your college women's team in favor of a high school basketball game. Glad to see the college has its priorities straight.
    I don't think anybody is getting screwed in favor of anything. I would guess that these types of rental contracts are made months and months in advance and probably on an annual basis. That's a simple business deal which would be a priority to any college. I also don't think Plattsburgh could ever have guessed it would have to play in the first round being as highly ranked as they are each season, so they never would have anticipated having to play in the middle of the week, which means they would never have had to deal with this scenario. Two different sports using the same parking areas sounds to be the biggest challenge, so not as big a deal as some are making it out to be.
    Last edited by shelfit; 03-04-2019, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      I don't think anybody is getting screwed in favor of anything. I would guess that these types of rental contracts are made months and months in advance and probably on an annual basis. That's a simple business deal which would be a priority to any college. I also don't think Plattsburgh could ever have guessed it would have to play in the first round being as highly ranked as they are each season, so they never would have anticipated having to play in the middle of the week, which means they would never have had to deal with this scenario. Two different sports using the same parking areas sounds to be the biggest challenge, so not as big a deal as some are making it out to be.
      Actually, Plattsburgh has hosted these events side by side for years. This year, however, there is a hotshot Div I (Syracuse) recruit coming to play against a local team and the local basketball community is excited to see him in person. He broke the state career scoring record in his junior year that was held by current NBA player Lance Stephenson.
      Steve
      Penn State Class of '95
      Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bar Down View Post
        That's BS on their part. All these teams work hard to get to where they are all season only to learn that money determines who and when you play. What would of happened if Plattsburgh was #1? Same result? BTW... definitely buying into the NCAA "deep state" with the last minute update on the Elmira ranking.
        Would you have been equally perturbed if the first round were out west and St Thomas had to play a first round game? Under no circumstances are they going to fly Norwich to Eau Claire for a first round game...which if you went strictly by PWR would be the match up. Then if Norwich wins that game, they would have to fly Hamline out east for the quarters. Not gonna happen.

You can say “they play all year...only to play in the first round” but they all know how this works. And if Plattsburgh can’t beat Endicott...they belong on the first round...

Bottom line with the rankings...I’m always amazed at how high Plattsburgh SOS is considering how terrible their conference is...they haven’t played a ranked team (other than that rescheduled Middlebury game) since Jan 7
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
          Would you have been equally perturbed if the first round were out west and St Thomas had to play a first round game? Under no circumstances are they going to fly Norwich to Eau Claire for a first round game...which if you went strictly by PWR would be the match up. Then if Norwich wins that game, they would have to fly Hamline out east for the quarters. Not gonna happen.

You can say “they play all year...only to play in the first round” but they all know how this works. And if Plattsburgh can’t beat Endicott...they belong on the first round...

Bottom line with the rankings...I’m always amazed at how high Plattsburgh SOS is considering how terrible their conference is...they haven’t played a ranked team (other than that rescheduled Middlebury game) since Jan 7
          It doesn't matter when you play the games. The non-conference games are usually the first couple weeks of the season and during the holiday break. Most teams are pretty much playing in conference games the last 3 weeks of the season.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
            It doesn't matter when you play the games. The non-conference games are usually the first couple weeks of the season and during the holiday break. Most teams are pretty much playing in conference games the last 3 weeks of the season.
            I'm very much aware of that. I was more suggesting as to why Plattsburgh's ratings slipped over the past two or so weeks.

But also many other conferences, have more than 1 highly ranked/rated team.
            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
              I'm very much aware of that. I was more suggesting as to why Plattsburgh's ratings slipped over the past two or so weeks.

St Thomas and Plattsburgh were back and 4th for the last 2 weeks. The Tommies took 1st back on Saturday as was expected because Hamline was ranked higher than Cortland. I figured that Elmira would sneak into second if they beat both M'ville and William Smith. Was no surprise to me how the PWR ended.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                Of the 8 conferences (not counting the MAC which is a conference within a conference), only 3 have more than 1 team in the top 10 of the PairWise. The MIAC, NESCAC and WIAC all have two. It's a small sample size, but only 38% so saying "many" is a stretch.

It's unfair to blame Plattsburgh for playing in a weak conference. The SUNYs did not choose to split off, that was the UCHC schools. That was Elmira, Utica, Chatham, Neumann William Smith running away with their fellow private schools to go hook up with some new private school programs.

As for why their SOS is still so high, SOS included opponents' opponents record. The high level teams they play are also playing high level teams out of conference (or in the case of Trinity and Amherst, in conference) and that figure is reinforced. It's why in the NEWHL the team with the lowest SOS is Cortland at 17 of 66 and in the UCHC the next highest SOS rank after Elmira at 2 is Manhattanville at 24. Buffalo State played Hamilton. Oswego plays Hamilton, Amherst, and Williams. Potsdam is playing Middlebury and Hamilton. They lose those games but they play tougher non conference games than William Smith.

Comment

Would have been fun to see more games with East vs West to see if the PW is accurate. I understand why it isn't happening but outside of Adrian it will only happen in the final.

Comment

1/2 hour until puck drop on the 2019 NCAA Tournament... Unfortunately, I'll be listening from my desk. Sucks being an accountant this time of year!

Just read the riveting article from USCHO.com about the tournament. Oh wait, no I didn't. Not sure they know the tournament starts tonight...
                    Steve
                    Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Endicott takes an early 1-0 lead on Plattsburgh. Nifty top shelf shot from the slot.
                      Steve
                      Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                        Endicott takes an early 1-0 lead on Plattsburgh. Nifty top shelf shot from the slot.
                        Endicott with very solid defense so far.

EDIT: Now Endicott up 2-0 on a chip shot over Abbott's shoulder.

Comment

2-0 Endicott. Shots are 11-4 Plattsburgh.
                          Steve
                          Penn State Class of '95

Comment

End of 1. Endicott 2, Plattsburgh 0. Shots 17-4 Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh will have to do something they haven't done this season and that's come back against a team with a winning record. 1-2 this season when scored against first, 0-2 when trailing after 1 period.
                            Last edited by Scott_TG; 03-06-2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Plattsburgh scores during an Endicott line change 3 on 1. Now 2-1 Endicott.
                              Last edited by spwood; 03-06-2019, 04:52 PM.
                              Steve
                              Penn State Class of '95

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                                Endicott by 5...there I said it
                                Just bumpin this back up
                                UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Working...
                                X