Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 18-19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Call It View Post
    Plattsburgh goalie for All American? Because everyone here only talks about stat lines, 8 saves on 10 shots... probably not All American worthy.
    Definitely not her best game! But it was a win! Way to go cards! Hats off to Endicott. They played a hell of a game defensively.

Re: D3 18-19 season

7 minutes into period 2 and the Cadets and Ephs are tied at 1.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbunnell View Post
    Definitely not her best game! But it was a win! Way to go cards! Hats off to Endicott. They played a hell of a game defensively.
    Giving up 51 shots on goal is not great defense. The goalie played a fantastic game stopping 48 of the shots. She made it a game.

Now 40 minutes gone in Williamstown and it's still 1-1.

7:44 left 3-1 Williams
    Last edited by joecct; 03-06-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Williams up 3-1. Goals from Puppe and Dunn in the 3rd

Plattsburgh goalie for All American? Because everyone here only talks about stat lines, 8 saves on 10 shots... probably not All American worthy.
    Sorry your Endicott team lost, Call it....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Williams up 3-1. Goals from Puppe and Dunn in the 3rd
    And that's how it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEnd65 View Post
    Sorry your Endicott team lost, Call it....
    Hey Bender... read my posts and tell me if I'm an Endicott Fan

Hey Bender... read my posts and tell me if I'm an Endicott Fan
    I know itís hard to admit when you root for a crap team. Itís ok. Weíre all friends here. You can say it. Here Iíll help you out. I call it, am not an athlete, but I call it am an athletic supporter. There feel better???

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    3-2 Plattsburgh 45 seconds into OT! 8 from Endicott didn't try to intercept a puck sent back in along the boards by Kiraly, and once the puck got to Katonka behind the net, she got it to Brush at the wing who fed it back to Katonka who had come out from behind the net to even with the goal line a couple of feet to the goalie's right. It looks like she tried to pass across to Moriarty but it hit the inside of the goalie's pad and went over the goal line

Plattsburgh hosts the winner of Norwich/Williams
    Katonka was actually still below the goal line, and the pass to Moriarty was off line and going to pull her away from goal, giving Jonsson time to get across her crease and cover any shot. Thee puck actually goes in front of Jonsson, but catches the back of (#8) Carterís skate and bounces back through the five-hole.

With as good of a game as Jonsson and the Gullsí defense had played, that was a brutal way to give up an OT winner.
    Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 03-07-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    And that's how it ended.
    I think it's fair to say that both games last night were somewhat surprising. Norwich was the favorite despite Williams having a solid season, and no one thought Endicott would keep the game that close against Plattsburgh.

It will be interesting to see if Plattsburgh can re-focus and collect themselves.

As for Norwich, I wonder if some of the mystique has broken away this season. A few teams have played them very well and even tied them when they weren't supposed to. I know Castleton (despite the final score) walked into their game last weekend feeling like they had a chance (especially after the 3-3 tie earlier in the season), that's not something that has happened very often in the past. Plymouth also played them tough this year.
    Once the mystique is gone you lose part of your edge. They're still a great team, but I wonder if the door has opened, even just a crack, for other teams.

Beware the Ephs! I remember, back in the mists of DIII women's time, being told by PNC that there is nothing more dangerous than a young team that doesn't now any better. Following their triumph last evening, who knows. Many dreams have ended on the ice at Stafford...

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    I think it's fair to say that both games last night were somewhat surprising. Norwich was the favorite despite Williams having a solid season, and no one thought Endicott would keep the game that close against Plattsburgh.

It will be interesting to see if Plattsburgh can re-focus and collect themselves.

As for Norwich, I wonder if some of the mystique has broken away this season. A few teams have played them very well and even tied them when they weren't supposed to. I know Castleton (despite the final score) walked into their game last weekend feeling like they had a chance (especially after the 3-3 tie earlier in the season), that's not something that has happened very often in the past. Plymouth also played them tough this year.
    Once the mystique is gone you lose part of your edge. They're still a great team, but I wonder if the door has opened, even just a crack, for other teams.
    I didn't think Williams was an underdog. This was a team that beat Middlebury 3 times this year and Elmira once, going 21-4-3. They were the home team for a reason. They might be a slight underdog this coming weekend, but it would be stupid to overlook the Purple Cows.... they are absolutely for real.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post

I think the mystique is wearing off on a lot of teams. Endicott nearly beat 6-time national champion Plattsburgh. Williams beat Elmira earlier this year and beat Middlebury three times.

The gap has most definitely closed between the "elite" and the second tier. It's hard to distinguish a clear second tier right now honestly. Look at how many losses Middlebury had this year in a very tough top to bottom NESCAC.

The game is certainly growing and there are teams making serious in roads to the upper echelon. I'd look for teams like Suffolk, William Smith and Nazareth to start breaking into that top group sooner rather than later just to name a few.

Is Plattsburgh the favorite on Saturday? Definitely. Would it shock me if they lost to Williams? Not at all.

Look at what the west has done over the last 2 or 3 years...Adrian has beat top eastern teams, Hamline beat Plattsburgh last year and is having another outstanding year. St. Thomas looks to be the real deal this year. I think the top western teams have certainly caught up or darn close to it with the Eastern elite and there are other teams in the East that are starting to poke their heads into the clouds too for a glimpse at needing those extra few steps to what it takes to compete at the top level year in and year out.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

I don't think it's mystique per se. What I do think is it's a combination of a weaker team "getting up" for a perennial favorite and the perennial favorite perhaps "caught off guard" intensity wise because they've breezed through most of their competition throughout the season. In the Plattsburgh game, the shots were 51-10. That's not closing the gap.

The PWR moved. Plattsburgh back to second, will this have any effect on Final Four Location if St Thomas should lose? Or is the previous PWR what is used?

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    The PWR moved. Plattsburgh back to second, will this have any effect on Final Four Location if St Thomas should lose? Or is the previous PWR what is used?
    That'll be interesting. I'll bet they stick with the original seedings. Both Plattsburgh and Elmira are playing teams tied for 3rd in the PWR, so......

BTW, with Plattsburgh announcing their game as 3pm, all four games will drop the puck at the same time.... I'll have to keep collegehockeystats.net handy on Saturaday!
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar Down View Post
    I don't think it's mystique per se. What I do think is it's a combination of a weaker team "getting up" for a perennial favorite and the perennial favorite perhaps "caught off guard" intensity wise because they've breezed through most of their competition throughout the season. In the Plattsburgh game, the shots were 51-10. That's not closing the gap.
    I havenít seen Plattsburgh enough this year to comment but youíre probably right. In the case of Norwich they just seem a little off at times this year. Iím sure some of it is the difficulty of keeping the pressure on all season, but I do think that has given weaker teams a sense of the Ďpossibleí and that may change the dynamics over the course of next season.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

The PWR is not used anymore. The seeds are the seeds and they do not change once the tournament starts.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

It makes sense, Plattsburgh played a game and Elmira didn't which would shift the numbers. I can't imagine the NCAA would "punish" Elmira for getting a 1st round bye when it comes to hosting the tournament.

The St Thomas/Eau Claire matchup will be interesting. Eau Claire's been up and down this year, (very up lately) but hasn't fared too well against the upper MIAC teams, losing to Gustavus and losing/tying Hamline. They do have the ability to score a lot of goals quickly, which has happened in both of the games they won against River Falls. 4 goals in 6 minutes and then 3 goals in 4 minutes. Granted I think the St Thomas D/Torpy are better than RF. It really is hard to say that St Thomas will definitely come away with the win.

This is hard for me, I'd love nothing more than to see both WIAC teams advance...but on the other hand I want St Thomas to host the final 4. The way the bracket is set up is kind of annoying...as you could very well see St Thomas/Hamline round 4 or River Falls/Eau Claire round 5 in the semis. But at least its guaranteed one west team in the finals. My dream would be Adrian vs the winner of the other semi of course
    Last edited by gojackets; 03-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Thread Information