D3 18-19 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Lin Han only has two more starts than Goldstein. Just lately they had been doing 2 for 1 split in favor of Han in terms of starts, including both losses to Williams this weekend. Goldstein has more losses, but they have extremely close GAAs and Save %s.

4 straight losses may not be a great a way to go into a conference playoff, but they are still the second seed in the NESCAC and this might give them that sense of having their back against the wall and "no one believes in us" that even the best of teams seem to rely on to rally around each other in the playoffs. If the field were selected today, by virtue of the PairWise, they are out.

Pool A:

MIAC: St. Thomas
    NCHA: Adrian
    UCHC: Elmira
    NEWHL: Plattsburgh
    NEHC: Norwich
    CHC: Endicott
    NESCAC: Williams

Pool B: UW-River Falls
    Pool C: Hamline
    Pool C: UW-Eau Claire

Seeds Done By PairWise Rank
    1 Plattsburgh (1)
    2 St. Thomas (2)
    3 Elmira (3t)
    4 UW-River Falls (3t)
    5 Hamline (5)
    6 Adrian (6t)
    7 Williams (6t)
    8 UW-Eau Claire (8)
    9 Norwich (10)
    10 Endicott (12)
    UCHC does not have an auto bid. Looks like Elmira would be B and UWRF would be a C.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

• Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
      UCHC does not have an auto bid. Looks like Elmira would be B and UWRF would be a C.
      Wow I keep getting next year's rules mixed up with this year.

So it would be

Pool A:

MIAC: St. Thomas
      NCHA: Adrian
      NEWHL: Plattsburgh
      NEHC: Norwich
      CHC: Endicott
      NESCAC: Williams

Pool B: Elmira
      Pool C: UW-River Falls
      Pool C: Hamline
      Pool C: UW-Eau Claire

Seeds Done By PairWise Rank
      1 Plattsburgh (1)
      2 St. Thomas (2)
      3 Elmira (3t)
      4 UW-River Falls (3t)
      5 Hamline (5)
      6 Adrian (6t)
      7 Williams (6t)
      8 UW-Eau Claire (8)
      9 Norwich (10)
      10 Endicott (12)

Comment

Taking it a step further (and assuming that whomever is #1 will dictate which region avoids the first round)...

First round:

8 UW Eau Claire @ 2 St. Thomas
        5 Hamline @ 4 UW River Falls

QF
        10 Endicott @ 1 Plattsburgh
        6 Adrian @ 3 Elmira
        9 Norwich @ 7 Williams
        8 UW Eau Claire / 2 St. Thomas vs 5 Hamline / 4 UW River Falls

Not a very appealing bracket. Almost enough to make me rethink my premise. Will the committee prioritize giving the #1 seed the bye (and bringing the #7, #9, and #10 seeds along for the ride) or do they give #2, #4, #5, and #8 the bye instead?
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          Taking it a step further (and assuming that whomever is #1 will dictate which region avoids the first round)...

First round:

8 UW Eau Claire @ 2 St. Thomas
          5 Hamline @ 4 UW River Falls

QF
          10 Endicott @ 1 Plattsburgh
          6 Adrian @ 3 Elmira
          9 Norwich @ 7 Williams
          8 UW Eau Claire / 2 St. Thomas vs 5 Hamline / 4 UW River Falls

Not a very appealing bracket. Almost enough to make me rethink my premise. Will the committee prioritize giving the #1 seed the bye (and bringing the #7, #9, and #10 seeds along for the ride) or do they give #2, #4, #5, and #8 the bye instead?
          As someone brought up before...how much does the quality of opponents in the conference tourney affect the PWR.

If St Thomas wins the MIAC they will have played PW#11 in Gustavus and PW #5 in Hamline to win the MIAC.

Where Plattsburgh will play #27 Oswego and either #25 Potsdam or #17 Cortland.

Would that be enough to shift it back to St Thomas for the #1?

In my opinion the lowest seeds should be playing in the first round, but who knows.

Also there'll probably be at least 1 upset and throw everything out of whack. Like if Oswego wins the NEWHL :P :P

My other random question...that was probably discussed a long time ago. Why does the NEWHL get an autobid with only 5 teams?
          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
            As someone brought up before...how much does the quality of opponents in the conference tourney affect the PWR.

If St Thomas wins the MIAC they will have played PW#11 in Gustavus and PW #5 in Hamline to win the MIAC.

In my opinion the lowest seeds should be playing in the first round, but who knows.

Also there'll probably be at least 1 upset and throw everything out of whack. Like if Oswego wins the NEWHL :P :P

My other random question...that was probably discussed a long time ago. Why does the NEWHL get an autobid with only 5 teams?
            It was decided because they were tossed from the ECACW now UCHC with they would be allowed an auto bid for two years while securing the needed teams which they will have accomplished by next season.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
              It was decided because they were tossed from the ECACW now UCHC with they would be allowed an auto bid for two years while securing the needed teams which they will have accomplished by next season.
              The UCHC teams left the ECAC-West, they did not and could not boot 5 teams from the conference. That's why it was the NEWHL who got to keep the ECAC West autobid for a two year grace period in which they had to get back to 7 teams. The NEWHL is the successor of the ECAC West, not the UCHC. Next year, it will be the CHC with the grace period for two seasons as they will have to attempt to get back to 7.

In terms of upsets, the best thing to happen would be for Morrisville to come out of the CHC instead of Endicott. At that point there is a good argument for waiving the flight requirement as it's 523 miles and then bus Morrisville to Adrian as one of the first round games. Then first round could be Morrisville at Adrian and Eau Claire at Hamline.

If Plattsburgh gets punched in the face in the NEWHL they'd end up bumping out one of the western Pool C teams (River Falls, Hamline or Eau Claire).
              Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-20-2019, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                And they accomplish that by adding Morrisville and Canton, correct? If that's correct then that means the Colonial conference dŕops down to 5 teams. Do they lose their autobid or are they adding two teams somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  And they accomplish that by adding Morrisville and Canton, correct? If that's correct then that means the Colonial conference dŕops down to 5 teams. Do they lose their autobid or are they adding two teams somehow?
                  Yes, the NEWHL keeps their autobid by adding Morrisville and Canton.

Unless there's some qualifier I'm not aware of that they don't meet to get the grace period, CHC would have two seasons with the autobid and if they don't get back to 7 for the third (21-22), they lose it.

Comment

Yes, the NEWHL keeps their autobid by adding Morrisville and Canton.

Unless there's a qualifier they don't meet to get the grace period, CHC would have two seasons with the autobid and if they don't get back to 7 for the third (21-22), they lose it.
                    Do they have any prospective teams (either existing teams or possible new programs) they might be adding before the two-year grace period ends?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post

In terms of upsets, the best thing to happen would be for Morrisville to come out of the CHC instead of Endicott. At that point there is a good argument for waiving the flight requirement as it's 523 miles and then bus Morrisville to Adrian as one of the first round games. Then first round could be Morrisville at Adrian and Eau Claire at Hamline.

I'll be a homer here and say...if that were the case, wouldn't that make even more of a case for the other 1st round to be Norwich at Williams?

I know this whole discussion is pretty pointless because the NCAA will just do whatever it wants, which will likely include not risking having to fly 3 west teams to Plattsburgh.

If Plattsburgh gets punched in the face in the NEWHL they'd end up bumping out one of the western Pool C teams (River Falls, Hamline or Eau Claire).
                      True...so lets forget that whole scenario :P
                      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        Do they have any prospective teams (either existing teams or possible new programs) they might be adding before the two-year grace period ends?
                        The two Independents in women's DIII both have institutional relationships with other conferences (Anna Maria with the NEHC schools as a member of the GNAC, Wilkes as a member of the MAC and UCHC). Anna Maria is geographically more in profile with the remaining CHC schools but the only way I see that happening is if the NEHC snubs them entirely.

Otherwise, their best bet is to hope the CCC schools that play men's hockey start playing women's hockey and they can become the women's CCC. Of their remaining member's only Becker doesn't compete in the CCC full time and they are an Associate Member for both men's ice hockey and football so it would fit. The CCC schools fielding men's teams but not women's teams are Curry, Wentworth and Western New England. Curry has a women's club team but the other two would be starting from scratch.

Comment

In terms of upsets, the best thing to happen would be for Morrisville to come out of the CHC instead of Endicott. At that point there is a good argument for waiving the flight requirement as it's 523 miles and then bus Morrisville to Adrian as one of the first round games.
                          I'm 99.9 percent sure this is not a thing. 500 miles is 500 miles and if it's 501, that team gets a flight if they want it.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            I'm 99.9 percent sure this is not a thing. 500 miles is 500 miles and if it's 501, that team gets a flight if they want it.
                            Where would Morrisville fly out of if they flew them?

Comment

Where would Morrisville fly out of if they flew them?
                              Hancock International (Syracuse) is about 40 miles away. That would my guess.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post

I have been on record that I think it would be enough for St. Thomas to move back to #1 since Plattsburgh and St. Thomas have been switching back and forth from week to week. However, since the last "switch", St. Thomas lost to Hamline while Plattsburgh beat Middlebury. I'm not sure how much of a bump that gave Plattsburgh.
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95
                                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                                X