Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: D3 18-19 season

Do You Believe in Miracles? YES!!!

Re: D3 18-19 season

Quote Originally Posted by gojackets View Post
    Has to be one of the stranger playoff formats I've seen. #1 seed plays in the first round, skips the 2nd round and then plays in the championship.

Is this to minimize the number of teams busing to Adrian every year?
    I wondered the exact same thing when I saw this... I've never seen this before.
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95
    Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Has to be one of the stranger playoff formats I've seen. #1 seed plays in the first round, skips the 2nd round and then plays in the championship.

Is this to minimize the number of teams busing to Adrian every year?
    If it were, it fails because they still will likely end up busing two teams to Adrian as if they win their quarterfinal against SNC the semifinal they don't play in is at their barn.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    If it were, it fails because they still will likely end up busing two teams to Adrian as if they win their quarterfinal against SNC the semifinal they don't play in is at their barn.
    You could always do a Page Cup format
    Semifinal
    1 plays 2. Winner to finals
    Eliminator 1
    3 plays 4. Winner to Eliminator 2
    Eliminator 2
    Loser of semifinal plays winner of Eliminator 1.
    Final
    Winner of semifinal v winner of Eliminator 2.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    You could always do a Page Cup format
    Semifinal
    1 plays 2. Winner to finals
    Eliminator 1
    3 plays 4. Winner to Eliminator 2
    Eliminator 2
    Loser of semifinal plays winner of Eliminator 1.
    Final
    Winner of semifinal v winner of Eliminator 2.
    My brain hurts....
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Yeah...but my thought is that they are only busing 2 instead of 3...having only 6 teams make it. Wouldn't the more logical thing be to give Adrian the first round bye and then have teams 2-7 in the quarters...3 winners advance to Adrian? Its just really odd they would play in the first round and then get a bye.
    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Yeah...but my thought is that they are only busing 2 instead of 3...having only 6 teams make it. Wouldn't the more logical thing be to give Adrian the first round bye and then have teams 2-7 in the quarters...3 winners advance to Adrian? Its just really odd they would play in the first round and then get a bye.
    I think any format like this involving double elimination is the conference trying to protect it's high speeds from an upset than it is about cost. I imagine if it involves good teams it might even help RPI or PairWise numbers.

Looks like the Middlebury goalie put up a valiant effort last night to keep her team in the game until the bitter end. Kudos to her!

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Looks like the Middlebury goalie put up a valiant effort last night to keep her team in the game until the bitter end. Kudos to her!
    Yeah I watched the first 2.5 periods and there were many times she came up big, especially considering she wasn’t the normal starter (from what I gathered)

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Yeah I watched the first 2.5 periods and there were many times she came up big, especially considering she wasn’t the normal starter (from what I gathered)
    Lin Han has normally been Midd's go to goalie lately so yes, I would say unless she was injured, starting Goldstein on paper was a bit of a surprise. However, looks like she played pretty well in the big moment.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Lin Han only has two more starts than Goldstein. Just lately they had been doing 2 for 1 split in favor of Han in terms of starts, including both losses to Williams this weekend. Goldstein has more losses, but they have extremely close GAAs and Save %s.

4 straight losses may not be a great a way to go into a conference playoff, but they are still the second seed in the NESCAC and this might give them that sense of having their back against the wall and "no one believes in us" that even the best of teams seem to rely on to rally around each other in the playoffs. If the field were selected today, by virtue of the PairWise, they are out.

Pool A:

MIAC: St. Thomas
    NCHA: Adrian
    UCHC: Elmira
    NEWHL: Plattsburgh
    NEHC: Norwich
    CHC: Endicott
    NESCAC: Williams

Pool B: UW-River Falls
    Pool C: Hamline
    Pool C: UW-Eau Claire

Seeds Done By PairWise Rank
    1 Plattsburgh (1)
    2 St. Thomas (2)
    3 Elmira (3t)
    4 UW-River Falls (3t)
    5 Hamline (5)
    6 Adrian (6t)
    7 Williams (6t)
    8 UW-Eau Claire (8)
    9 Norwich (10)
    10 Endicott (12)
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Lin Han only has two more starts than Goldstein. Just lately they had been doing 2 for 1 split in favor of Han in terms of starts, including both losses to Williams this weekend. Goldstein has more losses, but they have extremely close GAAs and Save %s.

4 straight losses may not be a great a way to go into a conference playoff, but they are still the second seed in the NESCAC and this might give them that sense of having their back against the wall and "no one believes in us" that even the best of teams seem to rely on to rally around each other in the playoffs. If the field were selected today, by virtue of the PairWise, they are out.

Pool A:

UCHC: Elmira

Pool B: UW-River Falls

1 Plattsburgh (1)
    2 St. Thomas (2)
    3 Elmira (3t)
    4 UW-River Falls (3t)
    5 Hamline (5)
    6 Adrian (6t)
    7 Williams (6t)
    8 UW-Eau Claire (8)
    9 Norwich (10)
    10 Endicott (12)
    UCHC does not have an auto bid. Looks like Elmira would be B and UWRF would be a C.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    UCHC does not have an auto bid. Looks like Elmira would be B and UWRF would be a C.
    Wow I keep getting next year's rules mixed up with this year.

So it would be

Pool A:

Pool B: Elmira
    Pool C: UW-River Falls

1 Plattsburgh (1)
    2 St. Thomas (2)
    3 Elmira (3t)
    4 UW-River Falls (3t)
    5 Hamline (5)
    6 Adrian (6t)
    7 Williams (6t)
    8 UW-Eau Claire (8)
    9 Norwich (10)
    10 Endicott (12)
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Taking it a step further (and assuming that whomever is #1 will dictate which region avoids the first round)...

First round:

8 UW Eau Claire @ 2 St. Thomas
    5 Hamline @ 4 UW River Falls

QF
    10 Endicott @ 1 Plattsburgh
    6 Adrian @ 3 Elmira
    9 Norwich @ 7 Williams
    8 UW Eau Claire / 2 St. Thomas vs 5 Hamline / 4 UW River Falls

Not a very appealing bracket. Almost enough to make me rethink my premise. Will the committee prioritize giving the #1 seed the bye (and bringing the #7, #9, and #10 seeds along for the ride) or do they give #2, #4, #5, and #8 the bye instead?
    Steve
    Penn State Class of '95

Quote Originally Posted by spwood View Post
    Taking it a step further (and assuming that whomever is #1 will dictate which region avoids the first round)...

First round:

8 UW Eau Claire @ 2 St. Thomas
    5 Hamline @ 4 UW River Falls

QF
    10 Endicott @ 1 Plattsburgh
    6 Adrian @ 3 Elmira
    9 Norwich @ 7 Williams
    8 UW Eau Claire / 2 St. Thomas vs 5 Hamline / 4 UW River Falls

Not a very appealing bracket. Almost enough to make me rethink my premise. Will the committee prioritize giving the #1 seed the bye (and bringing the #7, #9, and #10 seeds along for the ride) or do they give #2, #4, #5, and #8 the bye instead?
    As someone brought up before...how much does the quality of opponents in the conference tourney affect the PWR.

If St Thomas wins the MIAC they will have played PW#11 in Gustavus and PW #5 in Hamline to win the MIAC.

Where Plattsburgh will play #27 Oswego and either #25 Potsdam or #17 Cortland.

Would that be enough to shift it back to St Thomas for the #1?

In my opinion the lowest seeds should be playing in the first round, but who knows.

Also there'll probably be at least 1 upset and throw everything out of whack. Like if Oswego wins the NEWHL :P :P

My other random question...that was probably discussed a long time ago. Why does the NEWHL get an autobid with only 5 teams?
    UWS Ladyjackets

As someone brought up before...how much does the quality of opponents in the conference tourney affect the PWR.

If St Thomas wins the MIAC they will have played PW#11 in Gustavus and PW #5 in Hamline to win the MIAC.

Where Plattsburgh will play #27 Oswego and either #25 Potsdam or #17 Cortland.

Would that be enough to shift it back to St Thomas for the #1?

In my opinion the lowest seeds should be playing in the first round, but who knows.

Also there'll probably be at least 1 upset and throw everything out of whack. Like if Oswego wins the NEWHL :P :P

My other random question...that was probably discussed a long time ago. Why does the NEWHL get an autobid with only 5 teams?
    It was decided because they were tossed from the ECACW now UCHC with they would be allowed an auto bid for two years while securing the needed teams which they will have accomplished by next season.

It was decided because they were tossed from the ECACW now UCHC with they would be allowed an auto bid for two years while securing the needed teams which they will have accomplished by next season.
    The UCHC teams left the ECAC-West, they did not and could not boot 5 teams from the conference. That's why it was the NEWHL who got to keep the ECAC West autobid for a two year grace period in which they had to get back to 7 teams. The NEWHL is the successor of the ECAC West, not the UCHC. Next year, it will be the CHC with the grace period for two seasons as they will have to attempt to get back to 7.

In terms of upsets, the best thing to happen would be for Morrisville to come out of the CHC instead of Endicott. At that point there is a good argument for waiving the flight requirement as it's 523 miles and then bus Morrisville to Adrian as one of the first round games. Then first round could be Morrisville at Adrian and Eau Claire at Hamline.

If Plattsburgh gets punched in the face in the NEWHL they'd end up bumping out one of the western Pool C teams (River Falls, Hamline or Eau Claire).
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-20-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

And they accomplish that by adding Morrisville and Canton, correct? If that's correct then that means the Colonial conference dŕops down to 5 teams. Do they lose their autobid or are they adding two teams somehow?

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    And they accomplish that by adding Morrisville and Canton, correct? If that's correct then that means the Colonial conference dŕops down to 5 teams. Do they lose their autobid or are they adding two teams somehow?
    Yes, the NEWHL keeps their autobid by adding Morrisville and Canton.

Unless there's some qualifier I'm not aware of that they don't meet to get the grace period, CHC would have two seasons with the autobid and if they don't get back to 7 for the third (21-22), they lose it.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Yes, the NEWHL keeps their autobid by adding Morrisville and Canton.

Unless there's a qualifier they don't meet to get the grace period, CHC would have two seasons with the autobid and if they don't get back to 7 for the third (21-22), they lose it.
    Do they have any prospective teams (either existing teams or possible new programs) they might be adding before the two-year grace period ends?

In terms of upsets, the best thing to happen would be for Morrisville to come out of the CHC instead of Endicott. At that point there is a good argument for waiving the flight requirement as it's 523 miles and then bus Morrisville to Adrian as one of the first round games. Then first round could be Morrisville at Adrian and Eau Claire at Hamline.

I'll be a homer here and say...if that were the case, wouldn't that make even more of a case for the other 1st round to be Norwich at Williams?

I know this whole discussion is pretty pointless because the NCAA will just do whatever it wants, which will likely include not risking having to fly 3 west teams to Plattsburgh.

If Plattsburgh gets punched in the face in the NEWHL they'd end up bumping out one of the western Pool C teams (River Falls, Hamline or Eau Claire).
    True...so lets forget that whole scenario :P
    UWS Ladyjackets

Thread Information