Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Official statement from the MIAC that St. Thomas is being involuntarily removed from the conference as of the end of the Spring 2021 semester.

Statement from St. Thomas President Dr. Julie H. Sullivan. Sullivan announced that AD Phil Esten will lead the search for their new conference.

St. Thomas has published an FAQ on leaving the MIAC. Among the questions addresses, it says that "should the conference we join not offer a sport that we have currently, we will explore all options (e.g., affiliate memberships) in order for all our varsity sports to continue playing."
    If the MIAC thought the beatdowns by UST were bad in the past, they better hope the Tommies find a new conference quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by MIAC_Hockey_Dad View Post
      Sad day for St. Thomas Womens Hockey and the MIAC. 99 years of history in the MIAC and what do you get? Kicked out for your level of success. The school certainly has a larger enrollment than the rest of the conference, but we are not talking HS sports. Does having the larger enrollment change the quality of recruits because your campus has more students? I don't think so. Many of the teams have about the same number athletes and they generally don't walk-on out of the general student population. They are recruited and ultimately sold on the educational quality of the University. Each of the schools has the opportunity to recruit whomever they want. Punishing success is just lowering the bar of excellence.
      I'm not sad.

St. Thomas huge enrollment allows the school to recruit more athletes who might not qualify at St. Olaf or Gustavus. Their average ACT score is 24. If they accept 200 students whose score is 30 or more, they can take 200 whose score is 18 or less. That more than likely cuts out St. Olaf, Hamline and Gustavus, and probably St. Bens.

St. Thomas just doesn't fit in the MIAC. Will be interesting to see if they can immediately latch on in WIAC (which makes tremendous sense), or if they have higher aspirations and jump to D2, which means the hockey programs would have to jump to D1 (which I think they could, they just need to find a larger arena to play in.) It wouldn't be that hard to to find D1 athletes, as St. Thomas would be a more attractive option than moving far away, and there are plenty of D1 level players in Minnesota. Plus there's that 500M they got as gifts that they could put to use building a rink...

The school just has different priorities, and the MIAC is really not a conference which places that much importance on athletic excellence, never has. The fact that St. Thomas, Hamline and Gustavus are good in women's hockey is a testament to how many good players there are in this state, and those schools have done a better job recruiting them.

I don't think anyone needs to shed tears for UST.

Comment

Originally posted by MND3Dad View Post
        I'm not sad.

St. Thomas huge enrollment allows the school to recruit more athletes who might not qualify at St. Olaf or Gustavus. Their average ACT score is 24. If they accept 200 students whose score is 30 or more, they can take 200 whose score is 18 or less. That more than likely cuts out St. Olaf, Hamline and Gustavus, and probably St. Bens.

St. Thomas just doesn't fit in the MIAC. Will be interesting to see if they can immediately latch on in WIAC (which makes tremendous sense), or if they have higher aspirations and jump to D2, which means the hockey programs would have to jump to D1 (which I think they could, they just need to find a larger arena to play in.) It wouldn't be that hard to to find D1 athletes, as St. Thomas would be a more attractive option than moving far away, and there are plenty of D1 level players in Minnesota. Plus there's that 500M they got as gifts that they could put to use building a rink...

The school just has different priorities, and the MIAC is really not a conference which places that much importance on athletic excellence, never has. The fact that St. Thomas, Hamline and Gustavus are good in women's hockey is a testament to how many good players there are in this state, and those schools have done a better job recruiting them.

I don't think anyone needs to shed tears for UST.
        I don't think the hockey programs can just play up to D1 like that. I think UST would have to go D1 as a whole, and that process would take about a decade to 12 years if they do every step right away and right the first time. If they go D2 it's likely a death blow for their hockey programs.

Comment

I don't think the hockey programs can just play up to D1 like that. I think UST would have to go D1 as a whole, and that process would take about a decade to 12 years if they do every step right away and right the first time. If they go D2 it's likely a death blow for their hockey programs.
          We, including myself, have been saying this for quite some time.

But I think we've been missing a catch all this time. There is no D2 national championship for hockey, in either genders. And in that case, you are allowed to play for the D1 national championship even if you are D2, as long as you meet the scheduling requirements. I believe that is still true. Am I missing something?
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            We, including myself, have been saying this for quite some time.

But I think we've been missing a catch all this time. There is no D2 national championship for hockey, in either genders. And in that case, you are allowed to play for the D1 national championship even if you are D2, as long as you meet the scheduling requirements. I believe that is still true. Am I missing something?
            I don't think so. While that is true about the D1 championship on paper, I think in practice it would be impossible for an independent D2 hockey team to meet the scheduling requirements and even if they somehow did get enough D1/D2 games on the schedule, I don't think they would be able to schedule and beat enough quality opponents to qualify for an at-large bid to the D1 tourney.

If they went DII, they could try to join the D1/2 NEWHA conference on the women's side. It would be awfully expensive for everyone involved though, but it would put them at 7 teams...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              D2 for women is synonymous with D1 as they play for the same championship.

D2 for men is problematic as new playups are now verboten.

And Russ - you're right. If a current or new D2 men's team declares they want to play in the D1 championship, they can, if they meet the other requirements.
              Last edited by joecct; 05-23-2019, 10:51 AM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I don't think so. While that is true about the D1 championship on paper, I think in practice it would be impossible for an independent D2 hockey team to meet the scheduling requirements and even if they somehow did get enough D1/D2 games on the schedule, I don't think they would be able to schedule and beat enough quality opponents to qualify for an at-large bid to the D1 tourney.
                This is completely besides the point and has nothing to do with what I'm asking. The point is CAN they officially play in the D1 tournament? If so, then all "hockey" schools need to do is move up to D2 as a school, and not D1.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

This is completely besides the point and has nothing to do with what I'm asking. The point is CAN they officially play in the D1 tournament? If so, then all "hockey" schools need to do is move up to D2 as a school, and not D1.
                  Sorry for misinterpreting. Yes, they can. Current bylaws regarding this went into effect in 1992.

Relevant NCAA Bylaws:

20.8.2 Division II Options When No Division II Championship Is Conducted.
                  An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years.

20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship:
                  To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw

Comment

Sorry for misinterpreting. Yes, they can. Current bylaws regarding this went into effect in 1992.

Relevant NCAA Bylaws:

20.8.2 Division II Options When No Division II Championship Is Conducted.
                    An active member institution that holds membership in Division II is eligible to compete in the Division I championship in those sports for which no championship is conducted in Division II. The Division II institution shall declare its intention to compete by June 1. This declaration of intent shall be effective for a minimum of three years.

20.8.2.1 Participation in Division I Championship:
                    To be eligible for the Division I championship in such a sport, the Division II member institution is required to meet all Division I institutional and individual eligibility requirements and may use Division I financial aid limitations in that sport as permitted under Bylaw
                    That second bylaw is interesting.

It implies that a D2 team playing for the D1 title can offer scholarships at the D1 level. I would have thought they still have to follow D2 scholarship rules.

The fact that these bylaws were written in 1992 before the NCAA banned one-sport play-ups under normal circumstances, seems to have opened this loophole for D2 institutions in a sport where there is no D2 national championship.
                    Russell Jaslow

Comment

That second bylaw is interesting.

It implies that a D2 team playing for the D1 title can offer scholarships at the D1 level. I would have thought they still have to follow D2 scholarship rules.

The fact that these bylaws were written in 1992 before the NCAA banned one-sport play-ups under normal circumstances, seems to have opened this loophole for D2 institutions in a sport where there is no D2 national championship.
                      The loophole hasn't been tested before because typically the DII schools never played enough D1/D2 contests to meet the scheduling requirement.

It's why the NEWHA will start giving out athletic scholarships to its players and scheduling D1 non-conference opponents instead of DIII starting in 19-20. They will have enough teams for an autobid in 21-22 if they can maintain their membership for the probationary seasons of 19-20 and 20-21.

I still think St. Thomas would have a lot of difficulty as the lone western DII program. There isn't much incentive for the D1 programs to schedule them and the NEWHA has enough teams for an autobid so I don't see how they justify the expense of including them in that arrangement. Is there something I'm missing that would entice the western D1 teams to schedule a D2 St. Thomas?

EDIT: Couple of good posts from The Ice Garden and BC Interruption on the NEWHA and the possibility of the NEWHA teams actually making use of rule 20.8.2:

https://www.theicegarden.com/2018/9/...key-conference

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ls-anselm-post
                      Last edited by Scott_TG; 05-23-2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

From the Star Tribune's Randy Johnson's "PUCK DROP" hockey blog

St. Thomas decision will have hockey implications
                        The MIAC saga, with St. Thomas being “involuntarily removed’’ from the conference, has some hockey implications. First, of course, the MIAC will be losing two strong programs. The Tommies men, under coach Jeff Boeser, have won six conference regular-seasons titles in eight years. The St. Thomas women, under coach Tom Palkowski, have four MIAC regular-season titles and two NCAA Frozen Four appearances. This season, the Tommies won the league regular-season and tournament title and were host to the Division III women’s Frozen Four before falling to conference rival Hamline in the semifinals.

It’ll be interesting to see where St. Thomas lands. If it chooses to stay in Division III, the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference could be a relatively seamless option for hockey purposes. If St. Thomas opts to move to Division II, and presumably the Northern Sun Athletic Conference, then that’s a signal it would pursue Division I in hockey because the NCAA doesn’t have Division II hockey, and D-II teams aren’t allowed to play in Division III.
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Lawrence University adding women's hockey program starting in 2020

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/s...20/1551535001/
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Sarah Hughson (Elmira '18), Taylor Steadman (Castleton '16) and Cherie Stewart (Manhattanville '05) were on Team USA for the ISBHF Ball Hockey World Championships, with Hughson scoring a goal and two assists, Steadman scoring 3 goals, and Stewart with a goal and 4 assists in the tourney. Team USA took the silver medal, losing 4-2 to Canada in the championship. Canada wins the tourney for the first time since 2015.

Comment

Sarah Hughson (Elmira '18), Taylor Steadman (Castleton '16) and Cherie Stewart (Manhattanville '05) were on Team USA for the ISBHF Ball Hockey World Championships, with Hughson scoring a goal and two assists, Steadman scoring 3 goals, and Stewart with a goal and 4 assists in the tourney. Team USA took the silver medal, losing 4-2 to Canada in the championship. Canada wins the tourney for the first time since 2015.
                              Clearly a slow sports news day....lol.

Comment

There's some DIII ties to Team USA competing in Senior Women's Inline Hockey event at the 2019 World Roller Games in Barcelona. The event began late last week but the Senior Women's Inline Hockey competition kicks off this coming weekend. Players with DIII ties are:

Sarah Bier - Marian '17
                                Allison Era - Plattsburgh '14
                                Sarah Sinning - Manhattanville '18
                                Ashley Furia - While Furia played D1 for North Dakota, her post-playing coaching career include Assistant Coach stints at Utica and SUNY Cortland.

Pool Play schedule for Team USA:

July 6th: France
                                July 7th: Italy
                                July 8th: Taiwan
                                July 9th: New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                                X