D3 18-19 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    Yeah, but one of them was St. Cloud State, so that one doesn't count.
    What about Mankato? At least SCSU has won a tournament game!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by Blackhawk66 View Post
      Its interesting everyone has focused on the Nescac. What about MIAC with 3 teams ranked in the top 11 or WIAC with 2 teams. I know most of pooh pooh the teams from the west but I see there coaches at a lot of showcases recruiting. The MIAC will St Thomas, Hameline, Gustavus and Augsburg all battling it out for top stop next year. Gustavus had 11 freshmen on the team most carrying playing time and were in the top ten for most of the year.
      And do not forget about the NCHA from the west. always seems to have 2 in the top 10 each year (Adrian and Lake Forest in prior years and this year St. Scholastica jumping in the fray). Next year those 3 teams only lose a total of 8 seniors (4 for Adrian, 2 for St. Scholastica, and 1 for Lake Forest). Yes, the west has not won a title, but seems like the MIAC, WIAC and NCHA make up half the top 10 teams. Finally need to knock the door down though.

Comment

Very real possibility that the 20-21 season could be the last season in the MIAC for St. Thomas as there is a strong push to kick them out of the conference based on their Athletic success within the league and that their enrollment is double that of other member schools. 1st meeting scheduled in April to change the by-laws to allow for final vote in May.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
          Very real possibility that the 20-21 season could be the last season in the MIAC for St. Thomas as there is a strong push to kick them out of the conference based on their Athletic success within the league and that their enrollment is double that of other member schools. 1st meeting scheduled in April to change the by-laws to allow for final vote in May.
          Just read some articles about it and one question I still have is what St. Thomas would do if this succeeds? Is there a conference that plays most of their sports that would take them?
          Last edited by Scott_TG; 04-06-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            Just read some articles about it and one question I still have is what St. Thomas would do if this succeeds? Is there a conference that plays most of their sports that would take them?

Also, I remember it being reported that one of the things that attracted Darwitz to the job was the limited travel playing in the MIAC. Does she reconsider the situation if they have to go independent?
            Darwitz at Hamline, they are not getting the boot. There is a D2 league that might work, not sure what that does for hockey as the hockey playing schools in the league are D1.

Comment

Darwitz at Hamline, they are not getting the boot. There is a D2 league that might work, not sure what that does for hockey as the hockey playing schools in the league are D1.
              I realized that just now. I shouldn't post after I've just woke up

Comment

First they go after St. Thomas Academy and finally get them to move up to AA.

Now they're going after the University?

I have some serious doubts about Minnesotans.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

If you are a D3 school you are stuck in D3 unless the whole school moves up to D2.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    If you are a D3 school you are stuck in D3 unless the whole school moves up to D2.
                    Well if they're being thrown out of the MIAC it will be for all sports, so they might as well explore moving the whole program up if they fit that DII conference profile. Are there other DIII conferences nearby that would take them?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      Well if they're being thrown out of the MIAC it will be for all sports, so they might as well explore moving the whole program up if they fit that DII conference profile. Are there other DIII conferences nearby that would take them?
                      The American Rivers Conference (which used to be the Iowa Athletic Conference) took in Nebraska Weslyan a couple of years ago. Iowa is reasonably near the Twin Cities.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                        I’m late to the party on this one, but why would they get kicked out of the MIAC?

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          I’m late to the party on this one, but why would they get kicked out of the MIAC?
                          The argument is that they have an unfair advantage in sports (especially football) because they have twice the enrollment of the next largest school.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            Wisconsin-Superior is only in the WIAC for hockey, they are in the UMAC for all of their other sports. It was interesting to me when that happened because its a state school, I thought it had to be in the WIAC...but it seems that the majority of the UMAC is Minnesota colleges, except Northland is in there too.
                            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Possible scenario is to join the D2 NSIC conference, they could replace Augustana in Sioux Falls who is pondering a move to D1. Hockey doesn't have a rink to go D1 so could they petition to stay D3. Can't think of a D2 school that has anything other than D1 hockey. UST put all there efforts to stay D3 and now they might be screwed. They sure have ****ed off their conference mates. This might not be such an issue if their football coach wasn't so disliked. St. Johns can beat Scholastica 98-0 and all is good but the Toms roll to 97-0 victory and they take heat because they might have gone for 2 along the way.

Comment

Possible scenario is to join the D2 NSIC conference, they could replace Augustana in Sioux Falls who is pondering a move to D1. Hockey doesn't have a rink to go D1 so could they petition to stay D3. Can't think of a D2 school that has anything other than D1 hockey. UST put all there efforts to stay D3 and now they might be screwed. They sure have ****ed off their conference mates. This might not be such an issue if their football coach wasn't so disliked. St. Johns can beat Scholastica 98-0 and all is good but the Toms roll to 97-0 victory and they take heat because they might have gone for 2 along the way.
                                Repeat - you can't play down and be eligible for the D3 championship (cf ECAC-E in days of old).

But as a D2 school, UST women would be eligible for the Women's National Collegiate Championship.

The men, should they wish, could declare that they'd like to play in the D1 pool (since there is no D2 hockey tournament).

The rest of the sports could play the Minny D2 schools.
                                Last edited by joecct; 04-07-2019, 03:59 PM.
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X